Home Forums Bike Forum Tour of Cairngorms/Outer Loop

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Tour of Cairngorms/Outer Loop
    vww

Starting the outer loop (or Tour of Cairngorms) from Blair Atholl on Saturday with my better half.

My understanding is that the terrain, for the most part, is pretty straightforward. We’re taking MTBs, but I just worry a little about there being potential hike-a-bike. Mentions in various places about Glen Tilt and Loch an Duin being difficult.

I’m just having last minute worries, as is my way. Anyone want to reassure me that it’ll all be good? Weather is looking decent at least.

Matt_SS_xc

I’ve done the cairngorm outer loop on our gravel tandem.

The only real hike a bike was glen tilt which was a bit savage with a loaded tandem tbh! But with mtb will be fine.

Otherwise very rideable, great loop. We started and finished in Blair atholl. Started at lunch, 2 nights, finished at lunch.

Take Crocs for the river crossings!

Enjoy!

scotroutes

There’s a short section past up to and along Loch an Duin which will likely have you pushing a bit.

Assuming you’re doing the Eag Mhor after Nethy Bridge then there’s a very short bouldery section then an often muddy section across to the Dorback Burn Descent.

At Burn of Brown you’ve a choice of 4/5 river crossings or pushing through bushes on the right bank. The river is usually the best bet.

At Loch Builg you’ll need to push across the outflow. The next wee bit can be soft depending on how wet it’s been (should be fine at the moment).

The upper bit of Glen Tilt (leading down to the Falls of Tarff) is narrow and rough and a slip can result in a long drop into a rocky river. It’s almost all rideable with fresh legs but add in a bit of fatigue and some camping gear and you might decide to push for a wee while.

That’s really about it. In the course of a big loop, it doesn’t add up to much. At least the river levels are OK so you should have no problems coming through the Gaick etc.

Fat-boy-fat

I’ve never done the full loop, but have done all the component parts apart from the Tomintoul piece ( did something a bit harder if shorter from Aviemore to Braemar in a howling gale).

Out of interest, what is the favoured direction? Clockwise or anti clockwise? Braemar to Blair Atholl is definitely easier North to South and the Gaick Pass was more awe inspiring going South to North (for me), but wondering what the settled will is.

How does the trip up to Tomintoul from Loch Morlich compare to the rest of the loop?

Thinking I might give it a go on my incoming ebike and stay super nice places rather than bike pack it (I’m old and soft).

scotroutes

I prefer pretty much all of it anti-clockwise, though Glen Avon can be a bastard if it’s windy as it really funnels along there.

I’ve done Aviemore to Tomintoul and back on the same day. Obviously heading out was easier than heading back, but there’s something to be said for approaching the Glenmore area from the east, especially if you route via Ryvoan rather than Nethy Bridge and the Speyside Way.

Fat-boy-fat

I’d always rather ride down the Ryvoan Pass than use the Speyside Way. One of my favourite views in the whole wide world, even if the path down is nowhere near as fun as it was over a decade ago. Going up Glen Tilt would be the easier way to gain elevation for sure. Plus the hike/push is less going South to North, so I can see your point. How tough is the Braemar to Tomintoul route? What kind of trail are you talking about? North of Falls of Tarth vs Ryvoan Pass vs Speyside Way?

scotroutes

Oops! I meant to say CLOCKWISE, not anti-clockwise!!!

Braemar to Tomintoul is 95% on really good estate tracks. There’s just a small rough section at Loch Builg and that’s easily handled, especially if it’s been dry for a few days.

dander

Braemar to Tomintoul is fine – long steady climb up side of Culardoch, fast descent, some nice singletrack alongside Loch Builg, then double track and some tarmac nearer Tomintoul. With a tailwind it’s lovely!

coconut
    Free Member

I did it clockwise.

vww

We’ll be going clockwise. Have poured over the maps, descriptions, forum advice and everything else, and I reckon we’ll be good. Weather this weekend is looking pretty decent which will help too. Thanks to all for the helpful comments.

13thfloormonk

I did the Glen Tilt watershed singletrack on a very lightly loaded (overnight gear for a hostel stay only) gravel bike with cantilever brakes. I was also at the wrong end of 120km by that point so in a state of nervous exhaustion lol!

Point being I loved it and seem to recall a decent proportion being rideable. As Scotroutes says there’s quite an impressive drop down to the left at times and definitely a couple of rocky bits that would be far too committing for my tastes to try and ride, but easily walked. It’s brilliant, look forward to riding it again!

13thfloormonk

Screenshot_20240906-095650

13thfloormonk

Shame, only photos I had didn’t show the best bits

Fat-boy-fat

20230819_13242820230819_12384920230819_13245020230819_14104820230819_141058

Marin
    Free Member

Did it on a HT Id like to do it again on a gravel bike, great route, Tomintoul has an excellent bus stop to hide in if the weather goes wrong. Have fun.

nealc
    Free Member

We rode glen tilt on a loaded tandem as part of a sort of lejog. We had one omg ‘were falling the wrong way’ moment followed by a much longer omg ‘when will my daughter stop rolling down the hill’ moment. All was well, it’s only a short section although we had fresh legs after a camp at falls of tarf, anticlockwise.

chickenman

DSCN1244

chickenman

I’ve never done the outer loop and and don’t think I’d make it through the Gaick without going up Sgòr Death and back down via the pony track above Gaick Lodge (zoom in to see it)! Not for a gravel bike mind.

vww

Well, we survived the trip and ultimately had a good time. Got some amazing weather on Saturday, alright on Sunday and decent on Monday. Can’t believe some of you chose to use gravel bikes for this route. Must be a hell of a lot hardier than me!

Absolutely loved Blair Atholl to Aviemore. A great route and the section by Loch an Duin was fine after an initial few hundred metres through bog. The section over to Dorback Road was slow going – lots of riding for 10m then off for another bog. Got through Burns of Brown ok, then managed to put my foot knee deep in mud. Loch Builg was ok in hindsight, but at the time I was tired, the weather had closed in so no view, and Braemar seemed a very long way away. When we finally got to the descent I was quite relieved, and it was good fun. Glen Tilt was more difficult than I guessed. I wouldn’t/couldn’t ride that no matter how fresh and unloaded. Seemed like I’d be off every few metres for an obstacle. The mile or two approaching the main ravine wasn’t exactly straight forward either. Very slow going.

Lessons learned:

– Just accept wet feet. I got wet enough from the puddles and bog to make changing footwear for river crossings pointless.

– No way would I tackle that route on a gravel bike. For my money, there’s way too much rough stuff for wee tyres and a MTB is the way to go.

– I need to find some patience/perspective when the going gets tough. I hated Glen Tilt at the time, despite it being a lovely place. But it was taking ages, I couldn’t ride, and my head went down. But a few miles later, riding again and feeling better. Just need to accept conditions are what they are, and continue forward.

Some pics:

20240907_10484520240907_11472020240908_10131020240907_12300120240909_091120

aberdeenlune
    Free Member

Great photos. I think you got the best weekend of the year weather wise. I was meant to do the loop in August but I got injured. It’s a great day out. Think it will have to be next summer for me now as the days are getting shorter.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.