Home Forums Bike Forum Tjs recovery ride 5. The low countries and France

Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 582 total)
  • Tjs recovery ride 5. The low countries and France
  • dyna-ti

Hows the mechanical side of things holding up ?, Bike, Trailer :?

Which trailer is it ?.

tthew

Still got some wax in the chain but i ran it thru an oily fag.

Blimey. 😱

tjagain

Mechanical side is fine. No issues with bike or bob trailer. Chains been adjusted twice since leaving Edinburgh. Nothing else has been touched

tjagain

Mission for today is to buy some more gas. Always fun in France as screw on cans that i use are rare. I have in the past had to buy a whole cheap stove. There is a decathlon in Nantes so thats my first port of call. Should be able to get some in Nantes somewhere. I should hit the coast again today. First part of the eurovelo coast route does 3 sides of a square. Ill probably cut that corner as well.

fossy

I’m on the look out for Camping gaz CV cannisters tody – Decathlon locally don’t have any, nor Halfords. Can’t win !

thepurist

Ill probably cut that corner as well.

aka taking the Strava line :D

pondo

We forgot to take our cooker a few weeks ago – decided to look for one of those single burner jobbies that come in a case and they were in short supply around Quiberon (not so far from Nantes) and expensive when we found them (30 euroes at Decathlon in Vannes, 40-45 in supermarches). Settled on one of the old-school single burners that sit on top of the screw-in gas canister – they always feel a bit health and safety to me, but did the job for, like, 15 euroes from a hypermarche. Good luck!

retrorick

I chose to buy a tall screw on canister which would usually be used with a soldering blow torch when I couldn’t find the specific canister cheap enough for my stove. I tied it to my frame when cooking so it didn’t fall over. There might have been a thread issue as well but I can’t remember.

mogrim

The Spanish Decathlons seem to have a decent range of canisters, at least at this time of year. That would certainly be my first place to look.

tjagain

All sorted

tjagain

Made it to the atlantic coast. 30ish miles south of St Nazare. 50plus miles today. I dont think i took many pics.

Feels like im making good progress today.

Campsite has cold beer but no chips. I have emergancy rations to eat and there is a chippy a mile down the road if i can be arsed.

A couple just turned up on site. 4 ortleib bags each plus big bar bags and a 40 l stuffsack on the rack

Shop shuts in 5 mins. Im going to get more beer

leffeboy

Shop shuts in 5 mins. Im going to get more beer

Even without pics we can picture it, nice work

I thought the there was only one screw on fitting for small stoves and it was standard?

tjagain

The french tend to use bayonet fittings just to be awkward

leffeboy

Ah, it’s exactly the opposite of what the UK and FR do with lightbulbs then.  They just do it do be awkward, like reversing the order of words

got to love them really

matt_outandabout

A couple just turned up on site. 4 ortleib bags each plus big bar bags and a 40 l stuffsack on the rack

It’s surprisingly common. We watched a couple board the Santander ferry – she was particularly petite and the bike was huge and heavy as she walked it down the ramp. Both her and partner had full panniers, a huge tent on one rack and drybag on the other. I’ve no idea what was in a combined maybe 300lt of luggage. 🤷‍♂️

tjagain

This pair have a huge tent big enough to stand in. A helinox chair each. A table but i just dont get it. I saw onw guy today with panniers and a trailer. Its hard enough pulling my load uphill. Some folk have double or more than i have

tjagain

tjagain

tjagain

tjagain

tjagain

Slept like a log last night. Fab. Drinking coffee now and waiting for my croissants to be delivered

Looking at todays bit of the coastal route it goes all over the place. I shall be taking strava lines to make a more acceptable route.

Need to do some more food shopping today as i used my reserve food last night.

matt_outandabout

Once more I’m happy for you and enjoying the updates.

I’ll go climb into a car on a grey, wet Scottish day to visit schools in Dundee, Carnoustie and Cupar for the day.

#WishIwasRetired

jamiea
    Free Member

I must say, I’ve been enjoying following your journey TJ!

I’ve no idea what was in a combined maybe 300lt of luggage. 🤷‍♂️

I do find it odd the compulsion to criticise people’s luggage choices, I’ve certainly been guilty of it in the past! But I’ve since come to the conclusion that cycle touring does not have to be a suffer-fest, and that one person’s idea of comfort and what they are happy to carry is widely different to any others.

I’ll be quite happy lugging my Helniox and myriad other items across 4 panniers to make our little family trip this weekend that little more comfortable. Heck, the wife is even packing a caddy of Fortnum & Mason loose leaf tea and associated paraphernalia🙄

willard

This is very much having a small holiday every time I read the thread and see the photos. Thank you TJ, it brightens up my morning (despite being jealous of the fresh croissant)

matt_outandabout

I do find it odd the compulsion to criticise people’s luggage choices

Fair point.

But I’ve since come to the conclusion that cycle touring does not have to be a suffer-fest,

IME, lugging too much *is* a suffer fest, and watching the 5′ lady battle a bike that looked like it weighed nearly what she did was eyebrow raising.
    But you’re right, one person’s luxury is anothers purgatory.

tjagain

thepurist

Your lawn needs some work :)

tjagain

Everyone chooses their compromise on weight v comfort. Im happy with mine. Big tent and a chair and easy good coffee and 13kg baseweight. It just amuses me that I got flack on here for how much i was carrying but other tourers I have met are astonished I have so little

alpin
    Free Member

👍

tjagain

After a strave line or two this morning thats me at the beach

olddonald

Enjoying the thread TJ – keep the updates coming.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Going to have croissants in the garden for breakfast tomorrow in your honour. Great stuff.

Can you see America from there?

freeagent
    Free Member

It just amuses me that I got flack on here for how much i was carrying but other tourers I have met are astonished I have so little

I did a bit of riding on the Loire valley path a couple of years ago and couldn’t believe how much stuff some cycle tourers were carrying – front + rear panniers/bar bags/dry bags on top of racks.. i take less when i go camping in the car!

I guess its too late – but did you go into Central Nantes? nice town for a walk around/coffee – i go there for work a fair bit.

tjagain

Freeagent. I rode thru and stoped to look

Edukator
    Free Member

Those beach huts look like the ones in St Jean de Monts. Stick with the bike path for a while and enjoy being a holiday maker, TJ.

Plage des Demoiselles

tjagain

I think ypu are right. Yup this afternoon all down thecoast path

molgrips
    Free Member

Of course, if I ever do go on a cycle tour I’m going to have to get under 13kg aren’t I? :)

tjagain

Under5 moley

tjagain

Camped up for the night. A bit north of la Rochelle on the coast. Struggled to fine a campsite but tent is now pitched and i have dinner

tjagain

I am knackered. A good days riding tho with a nice mix of duneland pine woods and wetlands

Every bit of sand was covered in people and the tourists towns are heaving

Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 582 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.