• This topic has 1,834 replies, 287 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by kelvin.
Viewing 40 posts - 1,481 through 1,520 (of 1,835 total)
  • Thoughts with the Queen and her family.
  • stretch…
    Free Member

Regular visitor to York here, been for food, beer, museums, architecture, a ghost tour and even shopping. Never been there for any royal connection though.
    Most of the American and Japanese visitors want to see the minster and the Shambles in my experience

brian2
    Free Member

I totally agree with ton.
    Maybe the handful on here who don’t quite get it need to just open their hearts a little? Or is it because they can’t makes them feel somehow excluded? So feeling the need to lash out? I’mean no forelock tugger but I do reckon our monarch and the pageantry attached is the envy of most of the world.RIP Queenie and God Save the King.

anagallis_arvensis

A A i said i may be wrong. usually i am

So you just made it up because it fits what you want to say…well you carry on ranting fella, got any more “facts”?

Caher

This divine right of kings (and latterly) queens was one of the things that annoyed mass murderer Henry 8 as the Pope outranked him in terms of divinity.

molgrips
    Free Member

Maybe the handful on here who don’t quite get it need to just open their hearts a little?

It’s not that. She was just a celebrity I didn’t follow, so whilst I thought she was a nice enough old lady I just don’t care that much. It’s not out of spite or resentment, I just have no deep feelings either way.

anagallis_arvensis

I do reckon our monarch and the pageantry attached is the envy of most of the world.

Well I reckon you are wrong so there!!!

Christ it’s like a play ground in this thread.

ton

i reckon he is spot on.

anagallis_arvensis

i reckon he is spot on.

Yeah, but you just make things up

funkmasterp

Maybe the handful on here who don’t quite get it need to just open their hearts a little?

It’s not that I don’t quite get it. I think it’s utterly ludicrous. The whole thing since she died is like a massive comedy sketch. You could genuinely throw some crazy fake news stories about the Queen in to the mix and nobody would know the difference.

I find it fascinating to be honest. I’ve never held anybody I don’t actually know in high regard. Never mind to the point where I would queue for even half an hour to look at the coffin of a stranger. At the end of the day that’s what she is. We saw a public persona. No idea what she was like behind closed doors. Just a mentality I don’t understand but mesmerising to watch unfold

ernielynch

mass murderer Henry 8

That’s a harsh way to describe the founder of the CofE

But fair.

ton

i reckon he is spot on.

Yeah, but you just make things up

prove it

poah
    Free Member

lol

duckman

imnotverygood

That was while she was bailing out her non sweaty son…you know; the thing we don’t mention now. But you are right, generally the average is that 55% of Scots don’t “want and love the royal family.” Surprisingly that isn’t SNP policy, although royalists seem to blame the SNP for Scottish apathy towards the monarchy.

anagallis_arvensis

prove it

Can’t prove a negative

ton

cop out. you are rubbish.

funkmasterp

Ton and a_a sitting in a tree K I S S I N G

ton

yeah, bored myself now. off for a hand shandy and a cup of green tea. night.

MoreCashThanDash

Well I reckon you are wrong so there!!!

Christ it’s like a play ground in this thread.

Certainly is

imnotverygood

But you are right, generally the average is that 55% of Scots don’t “want and love the royal family.”

Or maybe 64% don’t want a republic

ernielynch

off for a hand shandy and a cup of green tea.

It’s what she would have wanted.

dissonance

I’ve been to Versailles since – it makes Buck house look like a third rate outhouse.

Buck palace is an odd fairly new building though. About the main appeal would be the art collection and would probably lose out as an attraction overall.
    St. James and Kensington might be okay but have been heavily remodelled so maybe not.
    The retired Tower of London, Kew and Hampton Court palaces are better as historical sites though.
    Windsor would probably end up being a good attraction.

tjagain

What’s the royal connection with York? Marching men up andbd3own a hill? Whats that got to do with royalty?

dissonance

What’s the royal connection with York?

Constantine was proclaimed there. Bit of a stretch though as connections to current royalty goes.

somafunk

ton : regardless of what the sad deluded anti royal brigade believe and want, truth and reality is that our royal family is and will be always wanted and loved by the masses.

I stand proud to be considered a member of the sad deluded anti royal brigade by stw’s own forum royalty, can I get a flag to wave and a country estate? (or two), start by removing the royal family then work our way down the ranks of inherited entitlement throughout the UK then we can begin the work of reimagining our 400yr old political structures.

duckman

Yeah, good spin notverygood, you yourself posted the survey about 55% of Scots not wanting the monarchy, I am curious how that supports tons statement about ordinary people wanting and loving the royals?

funkmasterp

One of us! One of us!

Caher

One of us! One of us!

On 26″ wheels?! Nah.

imnotverygood

Yeah, good spin notverygood, you yourself posted the survey about 55% of Scots not wanting the monarchy, I am curious how that supports tons statement about ordinary people wanting and loving the royals?

Well. One of us posted that Scotland wanted a Republic… despite the fact that more people support the monarchy than support a republic. Having a King is more popular than having the alternative. You seem to be taking the ‘don’t knows’ as being pro republic. There’s spin going on here sunshine but I don’t think it’s from me.

brian2
    Free Member

Here’s a thought. Perhaps if the hundreds of thousands (maybe million plus) deluded souls paying their respects were to pop a quid each in a tin (metaphorically) would soothe the savage breast of tj et al as a donation to homeless charities or hospice care? Not too late to organise it I’d expect and some good would come out of it for all.

duckman

despite the fact that more people support the monarchy

So what would you file 55% of Scots not wanting the monarchy to continue under?( from YOUR survey😀) What’s the name for a country with no royal family again?

scotroutes

Doesn’t the 55% include the undecideds?

However the poll, by the British Future thinktank, found that only 45% in Scotland said they wanted to retain the monarchy – with 36% saying the end of the Queen’s reign would be the right moment to move to a republic. Some 19% either rejected the choice, or said they didn’t know.

That’s quite strangely worded though.

duckman

Personally, I would tax them; including inheritance and have a no more than immediate family rule. Just fed up listening to pish about them being universally loved and finally bit. Another thing the Europeans mostly manage so much better.

imnotverygood

Duckman: Can we just do a simple maths test:
    45% support the monarchy
    36% support a republic
    19% don’t know.
    Which is more popular: A monarchy or a republic?

Personally I’m tending towards agnostic about a monarch, but this thread is slowly driving me towards being a loyal subject notwithstanding the media barrage.

PS you still haven’t shown me a poll which demonstrates any point at which 61% of scots favour a republic. I would still be interested to see it.

imnotverygood

That’s quite strangely worded though

I agree. I don’t really see what ‘rejecting the choice means’. But if you don’t have a monarchy then you have to have a republic, unless its Rangers supporters wanting an Empire or the wee frees looking for a theocracy.

duckman

I AM searching for it, it was before the big one in May,and was when paying Andrew’s damages came to light. I have been guilty of misreading that survey. However I stand by the point that even that doesn’t support tons claim about how people love the royal family. And as for tourism; Harry Potter probably brings more tourists to Edinburgh than the royal family.

slowoldman

I don’t really see what ‘rejecting the choice means’.

I presume it means they have an opinion but it isn’t covered by retaining the monarchy or moving to a republic. Fascist Dictatorship perhaps?

scotroutes

I think “rejecting the choice” might mean ending the monarchy, but not automatically on the Queens death. In that case, the 19% would include those who wanted it to end before then and also those who wanted it to end at some future point, plus the “don’t knows”.

ctk
    Free Member

As a resident, I can tell you that people don’t come to Windsor for the shopping, restaurants or the Thames

Legoland

TiRed

They moved Legoland onto the castle! Did the queen find out 😉. I’ve visited one of tho two and we used to get free entry to the castle, and I still couldn’t be bothered.

Legoland visitors tend to come in cars and get funnelled around the town or directed from the M3. You see a few of the shopping bags in town of an evening. I lived in the road next door for a year. Chucking out time is terrible.

theotherjonv

Cinnamon cafe

Viewing 40 posts - 1,481 through 1,520 (of 1,835 total)

The topic ‘Thoughts with the Queen and her family.’ is closed to new replies.