Home Forums Chat Forum The STW Ski & Snowboard thread. The 2018-2019 season

• This topic has 708 replies, 101 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by toby1.
Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 709 total)
  • The STW Ski & Snowboard thread. The 2018-2019 season
  • jimdubleyou

re: Flows – if you’re a big bugger like me, then the older ones definitely aren’t for you, unless you fancy vague response. I’ve not tried the newer ones since I’ve been on Burton toe cap and strap for 5+ years now.

I definitely want to try the step ins, but price is a bit too pricey for a once a year thing (£600 :O )

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

@bluebird yes but you cant adjust the angle of them in relation to the heel edge, i.e in the heel cup itself

mahalo

Finally any tips for taking a 5 and 2 Yr old Skiing? 2 year old will be in a Creche for some of it, both will have contact details etc written down and put in a pocket should the worst happen

its a bit of a shock to the system if your used to being on the first & last lifts and just buggering off wherever you want! but definitely worthwhile to see them progress. be patient, they probably wont have your enthusiasm at first, make sure they eat and sleep well…
    We take our time in the mornings, no early alarms, nice leisurely breakfast, then a morning on the nursery slopes, or just messing about on sledges, building snowmen etc.. then they both went into lessons (or crèche) after lunch – that way we could have the afternoon to ourselves.

colp

Both girls are younger than the minimum age required for list passes but the eldest is having lessons, does anyone know how this works?

The turnstiles at the lifts have a little archway that the nippers without lift passes duck through.

Grown men on snowboards who’ve had a couple of pints definitely won’t fit.

bluebird
    Free Member

@howsyourdad1 I thought I was the only person in the world who bothered to do that! :) (I’m not sure if it actually makes any difference though.)

ElShalimo

We’re going to Austria in Feb and for the first time ever I’m going to buy some boots rather than rent dodgy sweaty ones that don’t fit very well.
    So what boot for the 95kg intermediate skier, 99% on pistes, wide feet, heavy and clumsy?

oldtennisshoes

So what boot for the 95kg intermediate skier, 99% on pistes, wide feet, heavy and clumsy?

Ones that fit (typical STW smug answer but true) get yourself to your nearest shop and try a few on.

sweaman2
    Free Member

Where are you based? Then people can recommend potential bootfitters.

stevomcd
    Free Member

Both girls are younger than the minimum age required for list passes but the eldest is having lessons, does anyone know how this works?
    The turnstiles at the lifts have a little archway that the nippers without lift passes duck through.
    Grown men on snowboards who’ve had a couple of pints definitely won’t fit.

I’d check that, most places require young kids to go to the lift pass and obtain a pass, even though it’s free.

Rotating highbacks to be parallel to the board edge makes &锑-all difference. I think Burton are still the only brand who actually offer that feature? I’ve been off Burton bindings for about 5 years and can’t say I’ve ever missed it or even thought about it. I did just receive a shiny new set of Burton bindings though and obviously I immediately rotated the highbacks…

stevomcd
    Free Member

Oh aye, I can confirm it’s been pretty good in the western Alps over the past few days…

grahamt1980

That video is not helping…
    having to content myself with a bit of board demo at mk tomorrow and freestyle playtime on Sunday.
    oh well it’s still boarding even if it is in a fridge.
    Hoping the yes pick your line lives up to the reviews

stevomcd
    Free Member

On airbags, for someone like me who rides 100+ days per year, probably about half of that lift-accessed or short hike off-piste, it’s a no-brainer. However careful you are, the law of averages is a dangerous thing. Added to which, I’ll almost always be first-in (on account of being the guide…).

I think for someone doing a week or two per year, especially if guided, then it’s less clear. The cost and travel hassles are significant.

I’d somewhat disagree with DD though. Once I’m caught in a slide, I’m thinking of nothing else but pulling that handle. Once you’re caught, there’s no getting out of there. If I’m still on my feet, yeah, for sure, I’m going to try to get out to the side or break the sound barrier straight-lining down the hill, but if I’m off my feet and I’m on a slope of any significant size, I’m pulling that handle.

I was lifting my pack out the car last night and it was snagged on something. I started tugging and it didn’t free up. I was about to start tugging harder in a grumpy I’m-carrying-all-the-rest-of-kit-in-the-other-hand-and-I-just-want-to-get-inside kind of way when I noticed it was snagged by the handle…

NZCol

Recommend watching Snowman on Red Bull tv if you have an interest in avalanches and skiing

Stoner
    Free Member

Elshalimo – I too am a 95Kg piste basheur.

I snowboarded for 15 yrs before trying skiing so slightly different route to boots, but I went here https://www.solutions4feet.com/ which is 1 1/2hrs away to get fitted properly. You end up paying RRP, but the fitting process took well over half an hour and now I’d be happier in that knowledge buying something discounted offline, but for a first boot, the conversation and information learnt was definitely worth it.

I ended up with some perfectly comfortable, but taught salomon boots.

pedlad

FFS
    18 days out from arriving in Morzine and eldest pedlad boy has broken a collar bone. Absolutely gutted for him. He’s been flying at lessons on the dry slope, building on first week skiing 3 yrs ago. I was so looking forward to really exploring with him and his brother round the vastness of the Portes du Soleil.

So stw- What is there to do for a winter week in Morzine with a broken 13 yr old??

Stoner
    Free Member

The swimming complex is excellent (search Parc Dereches for opening times)
    He can hire snow shoes and walk a lot of the pistes/ski du fond with cheaper ski lift passes as a pedestrian
    There’s a good cinema in town

mahalo

i skied the rest of the week after i broke my collar bone one day in chamonix – had one arm in a sling under my jacket! nothing too tech, just cruised the pistes – but it was a lot better than not skiing at all!

ed. sorry i just read he is still learning… yeah prob not a good idea!

Stoner
    Free Member

Snow depth is building nicely in the PDS and more to come this weekend. Xmas should be good! I’m even looking forward to teaching Stoner Jr to board for the first time.

pedlad

He’s getting better quickly but this is only his second trip. Definitely needs his hands visible to keep balance so cruising with it in sling not an option. Might look into snow shoeing with him.

bluebird
    Free Member

@stevomcd That makes sense, in the days when I was riding 60+ days it would’ve been a no brainer, but these days it’s closer to 30 and a good chunk of that is in bounds.

toby1

I went here https://www.solutions4feet.com

Me too, have a great pair of boots as does my wife. Local fitter who knows Colin did suggest that you may end up with boots beyond your level, so future proofing in a way that may not be 100% necessary. Still, would go back there again if I needed new boots, online recommended boots need not apply, all feet require a decent fitter.

wallop

Looks like the Tarentaise is getting all the snow this weekend.

pedlad

Nice big dump for the PDS tomorrow as per forecast please to establish that base.

So my boy is being v stoic but must be gutted about not being able to ski at new year. I didn’t mention above, we have the car with us in Morzine,so if there’s anything worthwhile within an hours driving I’d appreciate any suggestions.

Digby

Once I’m caught in a slide, I’m thinking of nothing else but pulling that handle. Once you’re caught, there’s no getting out of there. If I’m still on my feet, yeah, for sure, I’m going to try to get out to the side or break the sound barrier straight-lining down the hill, but if I’m off my feet and I’m on a slope of any significant size, I’m pulling that handle.

@stevomcd
    – yeah – I was referring to those few microseconds when you are aware of the sudden change in the snowpack but the slide hasn’t quite gathered momentum, and you are still on your ‘feet’ (and thankfully/hopefully your toeside-edge!): My focus was on picking my nearest exit/island of safety!

I’ve also considered getting an ‘avalung’ but again I’m not sure how effective they are in the ‘moment’: – if you are on your feet you’d want to be trying to get to the side etc and if you were off your feet I’d be trying to ‘swim’ etc rather than trying to fit the mouth piece in.

Completely agree about ‘law of averages being a dangerous thing’ though … I’ve lost too many friends & acquaintances over the years! :-(
    When doing a serious number of backcountry days a year though like you – for sure, you need to mitigate risk in every possible way!

Superficial
    Free Member

I’m wondering whether to replace my snowboard. I bought it in 2009 and my question is how much things have changed since then?

It’s a Ride DH so a fairly top end board from the time, but it predates all the rocker boards. I used to be a bit of a gear whore but I haven’t really read any mags/websites for ages so I don’t known what’s good. It’s got a couple of deep gouges and probably needs a base grind as well as some ptex.

I would guess I’m at the good end of the punter spectrum – I’ve been a lot over the years but not in the last 3 years due to new child. I’m going for a week in March.

My inclination is to fix up my Ride, but accepting this will probably cost at least £50, am I going to be better off putting that money into a new board?

TheDTs
    Free Member

Superficial, I’m not a boarder but probably worth getting the board you have into ok shape then hire a board if you fancy a change. Or just hire and not bother taking and paying carriage to for your own board. If you are interested in getting a new one, use the hire shop and demo a few.

ElShalimo

@stoner – thanks

I went to a local ski shop today and they sorted me out. (BAC Elland, nice people, not pushy, good customer service).
    Only took about an hour, given my weird feet that’s pretty good.

Digby

I’m wondering whether to replace my snowboard. I bought it in 2009 and my question is how much things have changed since then?

How has it been stored/kept? Much damage to the base/core?

If you lie it on say the kitchen floor does it still have it’s ‘camber’ etc.

Do the four corners all touch the floor evenly? i.e. your snowboard isn’t warped? (keeping your board in overly hot/damp storage can cause a board to warp or twist over time)

If you board is still fun to ride then stick with it.

Board shapes have seemingly remained pretty much unchanged for quite some time as the Snowboard industry matured and plateaued. There were a few ‘quirky’ ahem innovations like magna-traction but most boards fell into the slightly directional twin-tip design.

However in the past few years there has been some interesting innovation from smaller rider owned/led/focussed companies that are experimenting with shapes and designs again.

How relevant this is to you depends on the kind of riding you like to do and how often? i.e. we all might like the idea of riding bottomless powder in the backcountry everyday but the reality is not the case – therefore buying a Winterstick Swallowtail might be hard to justify! :-)

If you are interested in getting a new one, use the hire shop and demo a few.

Unfortunately depending on the resort, snowboard hire often isn’t as extensive as ski hire, so this might not be an option for you.

Shops like Zero G in Chamonix will be able to supply a different board to demo each day, but smaller resorts may only have limited brands/sizes to choose from – often because most snowboarders will buy their own board, bindings and boots

BoardinBob

Just booked a week in Avoriaz at the start of February. A surprise xmas present for the missus who’s only been snowboarding once at Glenshee years ago. She’s booked into ski school every day which will give me plenty of time to charge about myself. Despite having been to Morzine every year in Summer for the past 8 years, I’ve never been in winter so looking forward to it very much.

Also have pencilled in plans for Cervinia in April

Stoner
    Free Member

nice BB!
    drop me a line if you want some ideas on where to go exploring when you’re off the leash….

oldtennisshoes

Also have pencilled in plans for Cervinia in April
    Is jealous – we’ve been every April for the past 3 years, changes to kids activities means we are going for New Year instead – in fact, a week today to the hour, I’ll probably be arguing with a Budget car hire chap at Malpensa T2 :-)

BoardinBob

nice BB!
    drop me a line if you want some ideas on where to go exploring when you’re off the leash….

Cheers, will do. I have a pretty good sense of the place given the amount of time I’ve spent there on the bike but some secret stuff would be good.

Looking forward to doing the megagravelanche run on the board to see how it compares to my bike time!

Stoner
    Free Member

Greetings from the PDS, warm and sunny here. Snow conditions are 5-6/10 and deteriorating below 1600m. But the weather is lovely.

Quick recommendation for you while it’s in the sale. Excellent helmet with integrated visor for 35gbp

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/feel-150-s2-ad-blue-id_8399921.html

YoKaiser
    Free Member

50% off at Westbeach at the moment including sale stock. Picked up a jacket earlier in the year and it looks good. Just bought some troos to go with.

thekingisdead
    Free Member

Flying out to PdS on Saturday for new year, doesn’t look like any fresh is forecast for the next week or so 😕

grahamt1980

Time for board servicing, wax and edges this time. The freestyle boards as they have taken a kicking at mk all year and the mountain boards as only 4 weeks till we go. Please let it snow in pds compared to what there is now

andykirk
    Free Member

You can rotate highbacks on Union bindings as well. It does seem to slightly improve heelside pressure.
    As for replacing your Ride board I certainly wouldn’t get a rocker board without trying one first. Having tried a lot of profiles I think full camber with a tiny bit of early rise at the tip and tail is best. Unless you live for powder days…. and I have to say I don’t know much about the best profiles then.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

EURODORK ALERT!

sweaman2
    Free Member

Few cm’s of powder means sweajnr got his first fresh tracks. Bit more snow now in the rockies but still early season in general.

Nakiska skiing

Few cm’s of powder means sweajnr got his first fresh tracks. Bit more snow now in the rockies but still early season in general.

Stoner
    Free Member

Thekingisdead hope you’ve got to your resort OK. Sorry to say you’ve missed the best of the early season snow. However Arare (avoriaz sector) is still skiing well as its well protected. Fornet is a little icy now though. Parts of haut châtel are still good but transit back into lindarets / avoriaz is nasty in poor snow.

I haven’t been over to chamossiere /nyon or les gets this week.

My eurodork helmet has been ace so nyeeerrr.

Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 709 total)

The topic ‘The STW Ski & Snowboard thread. The 2018-2019 season’ is closed to new replies.