• This topic has 708 replies, 101 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by toby1.
Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 709 total)
  • The STW Ski & Snowboard thread. The 2018-2019 season
  • Akers

Finally pulled the trigger on the first Akers family ski trip. Off the Les Deux Alpes.

Living in the London area, our 2 boys have only ever seen a couple of inches of slushy snow, they’ll be over the moon when we get there.

Having not been myself since 2010, before the eldest was born, I’m looking for to getting my skis back on and making it a regular thing again.

dashed
    Free Member

Always had great service from skiidy gonzales over many years and many transfers. There’s usually an early booking discount code knocking around – 15% off or so. Avoid easybus and alpybus…

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Booked up for Cervinia in January. Anyone been before? I’ll be boarding. Must be nearly 20years since I’ve boarded abroad. Cannae wait 😬

On another note, I’m after a jacket. Any good online shops?

oldtennisshoes

Booked up for Cervinia in January. Anyone been before?

Yes, for the past 3 years – usually later in season, but going for new year this coming season. Any specific questions, fire away.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Is it good for boarding? I take it you like the place. Lifts ok like q wise? Any place s for good food? Staying in the Hotel Breuil.

Digby

I’m plotting to better my 30 days from last season – it will all be in Fernie BC as its the only place we’ve been to in the past 10 seasons and we’ve still not skied it out

Fernie is great isn’t it? I spent 6 weeks there last winter and had a real blast!

Earl
    Free Member

Anyone know how to make their own liquid wax from a block? i.e. grate the wax then dissolve in some sort of solvent?

I hot wax at home then usually rub and cork a couple of times during the week. With 2 pairs of skis and 3 boards this year, I figure a liquid top up might be easier.

TheDTs
    Free Member

Depending a bit on the snow but it shouldn’t need a top up for just a week, unless you are racing or the snow is super sticky.

oldtennisshoes

YoKaiser, my son boards and seems to manage OK. Cervinia is virtually completely open, so very few trees. There’s some good off piste and there is a park if you fancy getting some air. And of course head up to Plateau Rosa and wander down into Zermatt for a day.

Ymeltrob is probably the best bar in town – great service and enough nibbles to ruin a decent appetite. The restaurant below is OK, but not as decent as the bar. https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g187864-d3879114-Reviews-Ymeletrob-Breuil_Cervinia_Valtournenche_Valle_d_Aosta.html

Wood Restaurant is the very best in town – fine dining, with prices to match. Worth at least one evening though https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g187864-d5263104-Reviews-Wood_Restaurant-Breuil_Cervinia_Valtournenche_Valle_d_Aosta.html

Grivola is my favourite restaurant in town. Traditional, but more of an upmarket feel to the service than others. https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g187864-d4068257-Reviews-Grivola-Breuil_Cervinia_Valtournenche_Valle_d_Aosta.html

Pit Stop is my favourite stop on the hill – just beside the Pancheron Chair https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g187864-d9810879-Reviews-Pit_Stop-Breuil_Cervinia_Valtournenche_Valle_d_Aosta.html

Folk rave about Chalet Etoile – it’s got a good location, but service is meh IMHO https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g187864-d2702719-Reviews-Chalet_etoile-Breuil_Cervinia_Valtournenche_Valle_d_Aosta.html

Webcams suggest that a new place at Plan Maison is being built to replace the cheap and cheerful if slightly rundown snack bar that was there before https://www.lookr.com/lookout/1292518449-Breuil-Cervinia#action-play-day

A bit of a wild card is Ristorante Hotel Baita Cretaz which has a skidoo taxi service to get you up to it in the evening https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g187864-d8259971-Reviews-Ristorante_Hotel_Baita_Cretaz-Breuil_Cervinia_Valtournenche_Valle_d_Aosta.html

Finally, for coffee cake and ice cream, The Sweet Side of the Matterhorn is very nice – https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g187863-d7761600-Reviews-Sweet_Side_Matterhorn-Aosta_Valle_d_Aosta.html

IMHO though the best coffee is at Tasty Cervinia https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g187864-d12815918-Reviews-Tasty_Cervinia-Breuil_Cervinia_Valtournenche_Valle_d_Aosta.html

Equipment hire from here https://www.alpinresorts.com/en/ski-rental/italy/valle-daosta/breuil-cervinia/top-one-ski-rental (use code SNOWBALL for discount).

YoKaiser
    Free Member

oldtennisshoes, many thanks 👍👍 appreciate it. Will definitely add to the itinerary.

dashed
    Free Member

@Earl – liquid wax will have rubbed off in one run so pretty pointless tbh. Ex-ski tech and I only wax skis if I’m away more than a week. Depends on the conditions and how long you’re skiing each day but every 4-5 days is about right for most folk (so near enough a week that i don’t bother taking stuff or paying for a wax for one day).

Rockape63
    Free Member

Just booked a five night (8) boys trip to Morzine in early March.  Not been there before so something to look forward to!

pedlad

Morzine confirmed for new year week. Hope for  better snow than 3 years ago, albeit not on the roads as we drive there!

jonswhite

Just picked up one of these :

Friend’s 50th this year so we’re doing 3 days in Whistler and 4 days Bella Coola heli boarding. Starting to get slightly excited and it’s not until March……

nedrapier

4 days Bella Coola heli boarding.

rrrrrrrrrrgh!

Starting to get slightly excited and it’s not until March……

I bet you are! Hope it’s awesome for you.  Here’s a little something that won’t help to dampen the excitement.

jonswhite

Yeah. That’s not made me unexcited!

colp

Season should be starting for me in a few weeks at Kaprun. Boarding one day, DH bike at Leogang the next. Win.

beanum

I’ve finally bought my first pair of skis… I’ve previously been using a borrowed pair of Stöcklis that weigh more than the moon so I’m hoping to feel the difference.

Picked up a good deal on last year’s Rossignol Experience 84HD as they got universally good reviews. Hopefully this year I can really get the hang of it, and leave the board at home for powder days…

Rockape63
    Free Member

The cost to take skis on Easyjet for our five night trip is £72, so still not seeing any point in buying skis currently.

flowerpower
    Free Member

Morzine / Avoriaz advice please…

I have been landed with organising a trip for 12 walking / biking friends. Not everyone knows everyone and I had a tall order to fill: Catered Chalet, big ski area, twin ensuite rooms, ski in ski out…

I have found somewhere that nearly ticks all the boxes, but its not ski in / out. It is near the bottom of the Podrains lift and they run a private shuttle door to door…

How ‘bunged up’ does the Podrains lift get in a morning? Is it possible to ski back down at the end of the day (snow permitting)? How much of a ball ache is it going to be being 500m from the lift without a bus…? Any experience? The private shuttle only runs 8.30 to 10.00 and 16.00 to 18.00.

If it was just for myself and close friends I’d do it without a problem… but for the folk who wanted easy / quick access – am I totally missing the mark??

Any info would be great as I need to book soon…

Jo

dashed
    Free Member

Couple of things to note about Prodains – it’s miles from Morzine and there’s not much there, so if you want to get out for a beer or meal in the evening then options are limited (couple of bars but not much else from memory).

The new Prodains lift they put in a few years ago is pretty slick these days – occasional queues at peak times but not too bad. Yes you can ski back down, but the run can get a bit icy at times.

As for walking 500m with skis – your call, but if folks are expecting ski in / out, then that wouldn’t really tick the box for me.

Avoriaz might be a better bet if you want ski in / out, but lots of self catered apartments up there, but sure there must be catered stuff too….

Stoner
    Free Member

for ski-in/out chalets your best bet is the Front du Neige in Morzine itself, but as that is at 1,000m you’re going to be snow dependent. Any higher ski in-out will be in smaller hamlets and limited aprés-ski. Have a look at Lindarets or Ardent. Family ski in Ardent is likely to be around £1k pp for a week in March. But ski in/out. Two bars in the hamlet.

Home

Twin rooms will be hard to get hold of.

You may have more luck with somewhere like Chalet Montana (lots of twin rooms) and use the skibus that goes from the end of the driveway (literally, 40m walk) and takes you direct to Ardent (one of the main base stations into the heart of the PDS ski area) only 5 minutes away. A basic bar in the chalet, good bars & restaurant 5min walk away, but you’re still outside of Morzine itself.

http://www.chaletmontana.org

wallop

We go to Morzine a lot and I’d pick a central Morzine location over ski-in ski-out every time. We often go as a big single sex group – we’ve stayed in Chalet Serac (Mountain Highs) a couple of times and the bedroom arrangements work really well. Few yards from the Super Morzine.

Earl
    Free Member

Ok- I’ll stick to my rub on and cork method.

Unless it’s back to back days of fresh pow I do find a mid week wax makes a difference – on my board at least. And I hate the look of edge burn.

A week last year started off with a daily 500m flat bomb. Fresh wax on day 4 got me a lot further.  Considering the cost and scarcity  of a snow holiday, spending a little time during the week maintaining my gear for best performance is not a big deal.

In spring slush i would<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”> was every day if I could.</span>

sprootlet
    Free Member

The contract and bill will be arriving next week BUT …. going for the season (except for the french school holidays when we’ll come back to work).

Off to Flaine again to ski bum and do a little bit of online work (outside of ski hours obviously).

Has anyone been to or used Ski Bartlett ? Thinking of a trip over there to try some boots and just wanted some first hand experiences before battling the M25. We have the polar opposite of shoe sizes, I’m a 34 (mondo 21.5) and he’s a 47 ! To this day I don’t think I’ve ever skiied in a pair of boots the right size,  I probably won’t be able to ski if they actually fit.

Thanks

Linda

TheDTs
    Free Member

Ski Bartlett, good reputation in the racing circuit. I’m sure they have some good fitters. Leave loads of time, don’t rush or be rushed, take your own socks, take the liners out and see how much space you have in the shell, do your homework, be honest about your ability. (Sorry if you know all that)

cobrakai

Ski Bartlett fitted my Tellie boots and new NTN bindings last year.

Young lad fitted the boots and knew his stuff, even although they’re a bit if a niche product.

The bloke from the workshop who fitted my bindings was great. Could’ve spent all day blethering with him. Spent 20min explaining set up and maintenance and gave me good hints and tips for servicing.

Met Jenny Jones whilst she was picking up all her new picture gear.

Going to.Ardent for the 2nd year in a row.with family ski. Their child care set up is 2nd to none and it’s a great spot for getting up into the ski area before the hordes arrive from morzine! Probably my 10th trip to PDS in 6 years.

colp

Anyone need a new jacket?

Westbeach Bull, reduced from £180 to £55

https://westbeach.com/collections/sale/products/bull-jacket?variant=23292636231

wallop

It’s bloody snowing!

thekingisdead
    Free Member

Got flights booked for a long weekend in feb (4.5 days on the slopes if flights / transfers go as planned)

Any recommendations for a ski area close to Geneva? Not PdS as I’m there at new year.

currently looking at Grand Massiff and Chamonix. 2 of us – Intermediate snowboarder – piste and slack country. Intermediate skier – piste only. Never been to either

grahamt1980

3 yr old had his first proper ski lesson today at ml and loved it. God job as he is in the ski famille nursery with ski lessons at the end of jan. Just a shame they won’t do board lessons that early. Hemel coming up for a board lesson so we can work with him on holiday.

Can’t wait now, but getting tempted to try a stiffer board as my typo is fairly flexy

TheDTs
    Free Member

Kingisdead, St Grevais, part of the Chamonix Mt Blanc area and links with Megeve.

Grand Massif, is nice, not too many trees so not great in bad vis. Be careful off piste above Flaine, lots of big holes to fall in. We have stayed in the Best Western in Morrillon, kind of self catered hotel with pool, it was nice.

Chamonix, quite spread out, some love it some hate it. I love it. Off piste is less accessible and gets tracked out quickly, lots of good and serious skiers and boarders. Lots of accommodation options.

Spin
    Free Member

@thekingisdead

St Gervais already recommended for you but a little further up the valley is Les Contamines which is quiet and very nice.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Grenoble flights booked for mid January, but that’s it so far – I’ve seen quite a nice apartment in Meribel for me and Ms Oliverd, but I’m not sure if we should try somewhere a bit less obvious. Open to suggestions at this point

bluebird
    Free Member

Just a shame they won’t do board lessons that early.

The thinking may have changed, but I thought snowboarding was supposed to be a bit more physically demanding than skiing so children need to be a year or two older before starting to learn.

grahamt1980

Seems to be an open argument about toddlers boarding.

Hemel will do sessions on a board and mint snowboarding in morzine do lessons as do a load of American resorts.

Honestly I have no idea but keeping a 3 yr old interested for an extended period is a mission to insanity anyway.

We are going to book him in for ski lessons next winter if he wants and take his little board with us so he can have a play, worst case he can go sledging on it

jimdubleyou

@thekingisdead

We’re doing similar mid-March. So far only flights booked.

We’ve done Chamonix before and tbh it’s a bit of a ball-ache on a board. If you’re going to pick one area and session it, it’s fine. Otherwise you need local knowledge to avoid long traverses or a bus home.

stevomcd
    Free Member

I’ve successfully taught kids as young as 5 or 6 to snowboard. Even taught a 9 year old to ride powder pretty well! A lot of it depends on the kid when they’re that young. If their adventurous, active kids who are happy to take a few bumps, they’ll love it. If not, maybe not so much…

I would say though that trying to run group snowboard lesssons for tiny kids would be super-hard, so I wouldn’t really recommend it. For 2-3 max it’s pretty doable – they need a lot of hand-holding to start with!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Colorado resorts already opening!

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 709 total)

The topic ‘The STW Ski & Snowboard thread. The 2018-2019 season’ is closed to new replies.