Home Forums Chat Forum The STW Ski & Snowboard thread. The 2018-2019 season

• This topic has 708 replies, 101 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by toby1.
Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 709 total)
  • The STW Ski & Snowboard thread. The 2018-2019 season
  • singletrackmind

Yes , flight are LGW to Turin , then i think they use the Frejus tunnel to get into France

thekingisdead
    Free Member

“PS – what are the concerns with Morzine? Personally I love the place”

Nothing, love the place, summer or winter!
    Think I’m so desperate to have a great week skiing with my daughter (disastrous week last year with two trips to a hospital) I’m worrying that morzine is the wrong resort so early in The season.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

An open question regarding remounting different bindings on skis.

I’m looking to get into light single day touring while hopefully doing the mountain safety course this year, so at the moment I like the idea of getting a pair of Marker Barons and mounting them on to my Line Prophets (98mm waist) which are already mounted with Salomon STH 12’s. So long as this doesn’t damage the performance of the ski, and take away from the aesthetics too much, I don’t mind.

Can anyone shed any light on this? Is it a bad idea to remount skis or is it ok to do once or twice?

Cheers!!

scotsman
    Free Member

Totally fine, although you should plug the old holes or put in inserts, Quiver Killers or Binding Freedom giving you the option to put either binding on easily, I have one set of skis that have been drilled three times (wouldn’t go any more) for different bindings, all have Quiver Killers in them. I have three sets of skis and two sets of bindings and all combinations are covered, it gets expensive though with the price of inserts so it’d good if you can do it yourself.

igm

Ok. So in addition to a week in Les Gets while our eldest does Courmayeur, we now have two weeks in Banff.

Could be a good year.

Stoner
    Free Member

wow, v jealous. that’s a big trip.

igm

It ain’t happening every year. Not with four of us.

cobrakai

I’ve got line prophets too.

I originally had 7tm bindings then switched to NTN. Different holes but ski Bartlett fitted both of them. Make sure the old holes are plugged.

Not noticed any difference in performance.

sprootlet
    Free Member

Found ourselves with some free time yesterday so took a ride out to Ski Bartlett to look at boots…..that turned out to be expensive as he found some he really liked and they had a pair of childrens race boots for me too! Slightly concerned I won’t be able to ski in boots that actually fit – I’m used to skiing in boots a size too big.

I was tempted with some new skis but need to resists more shiny things

Sooo, anyone wants to buy a pair of second hand scarpa freedom sl with both downhill and touring soles then drop me an email ! They are a size 30 I think

Stoner
    Free Member

Who’s in for a joint acquisition?

https://alpine-property.com/la-cote-darbroz/ferme-de-beauregard/3579

fantastic off grid hideaway. Remote but not ridiculous.

bluebird
    Free Member

Has anyone got an Avabag pack or similar pack? Do a bit of single day hiking/riding and wondering about the pros and cons of them. Thanks

nbt

Looks lovely Stoner. Like the turbo on the mezzanine in the master :D

dashed
    Free Member

Have you a specific worry / question regarding the Avabags @bluebird? Pros are they *may* help you if you get caught. Cons are they are heavier than a normal pack, may change your behaviours due to the reassurance factor and they can be a pain travelling to some parts of the world (US / Canada). They’re no replacement for training and practice etc. I’ve got and older Mammut one which I really like. I know there are newer, lighter ones on the market but progress hasn’t been significant enough for me to consider the cost of an upgrade. I’ve traveled all over Europe and to Japan without issue with the canisters, but never done a US trip so that’s not been an issue.

Got a feeling that doesn’t answer your question though?

Stoner
    Free Member

unfortunately nbt, every time Theresa May does/does not do something, it seems to get more expensive!

Digby

Has anyone got an Avabag pack or similar pack?

I’ve been toying with the idea of getting avalanche bag for a while – and a number of people I ride with do wear them, however:

Still haven’t quite made up my mind yet, but my thoughts [so far] are as follows:

– they will only improve your chances of not getting buried – not eliminate the risk

– they are big heavy and bulky and the technology is still maturing

– Can’t fly trans-atlantic with them (apart from the Jetforce types) and even some European airlines will confiscate a cannister (a friend got his confiscated flying through Amsterdam to Tromso)

– the Jetforce system looks good, but the battery isn’t great in cold temps and there has been a few recalls. Snowboard carry on the Jetforce ones it still limited.

– when caught in a slide you have a few seconds to react and try to get the **** out of dodge – do you really want to be trying to faff trying to detonate your pack etc

– for them to be effective many require the use of a crotch harness, but seemingly very few people actually use them

– they mitigate risk, but they should not allow you to ignore the 5 warning signs of avalanche risk (aka ‘Know before you go’)

igm

Stoner – if she revokes A50 at 3:30 buy quickly.
    That link is glacial at the moment, but you never know, I might be in.

dashed
    Free Member

@Digby – with regard to technology advancing, I think it’s slowed to a real crawl. Basically the bottom has dropped out of the avi bag market. Most people who wanted them bought them a few years ago (I think I’ve had mine 4-5 years now) and they’re not the sort of thing that gets replaced very often. There are a few tweaks here and there to make them lighter, but nothing drastic.

Digby

with regard to technology advancing, I think it’s slowed to a real crawl

Agreed – I think Avalanche Airbag technology is maturing rather than advancing – the last big innovation was BD’s JetForce which is being licensed to other manufacturers now – however this was introduce 4 or so years ago, so isn’t exactly new and as I mentioned earlier there have been a number of recalls.

What I do see though is the 4 main systems being licensed and tweaked by different manufacturers and integrated into their own back-pack designs – which has improved choice in terms of fit & comfort.

But I do agree with you @dashed that the market uptake has perhaps plateaued despite the continued popularity in backcountry touring, and I think this is because of the weight/bulk issue – I did a 2 week expedition to Greenland and not one of the 10 people in the group had an avalanche airbag: by the time you’ve got layers/boot crampons/ski crampons/skins/food/water/ice axes etc in your backpack there’s not much space for much else and the size of a big heavy airbag can throw you off balance a bit.

Perhaps more useful for multi-drop heli-days (where you don’t need to carry much more than beacon, shovel & probe) and where a buddy/guide can remote trigger some of the new ones whilst you drop in filming your latest edit … but I’ve not done a heli-day for about 4 years now! :-)

bluebird
    Free Member

Thanks @dashed / @Digby. Just interested to hear other peoples take on them really. I think @Digby pretty much sums up where my thinking is with them. I like the idea – anything that increases your chances is worth considering, but at £600+ it’s a big investment that comes with drawbacks.

Unless I’m going somewhere I know I’ll always go with a guide, and I don’t like sailing close to the wind when it comes to weather/snow conditions. So I suppose I think they’re a good idea, but not sure how much safer they’ll make a risk conscious hiker. (Obviously you can still be unlucky even if you do everything right.)

Stoner
    Free Member

still early in the season, but there looks to be sufficient snow at Les Lindarets to get going

Webcam on the Mosettes is looking v appealing too
    https://www.morznet.com/webcams/portes-du-soleil

Hareydan
    Free Member

A question for the snowboarderists; I’m looking to replace my ancient flow bindings this season, so naturally I’m looking at new flows or other step-in systems as I really enjoy the convenience. I’ve never used the more traditional strap in bindings so I’m wondering what the advantages of them are? Most people seem to use strap in ones so logic dictates that there must be a compromise to using flows but I don’t know what it is? I think mine are pretty heavy but I put that down to the age of them and modern ones look way less bulky. I’m very much in the beginner/intermediate camp but like a bit of everything from off-piste powder to hitting small jumps and rails so just after a decent, all-round binding. Thanks in advance!

willard

Sadly, the trip to Idre fell through because of accommodation issues, but it now looks like I will be breaking out the längskiddor and doing some cross country over the break. Which will be nice actually.

nbt

Meribel for us in Jan, that’s all sorted and the snow has arrived

Just sorting out that second trip. Les Arcs currently looking favourite

oldtennisshoes

Cervinia looking good for New Year

View this post on Instagram

#cervinia #ski

A post shared by Alessandro Rossetti (@ale_ross86) on

Stoner
    Free Member

Hareydan
    I spent my first 15yrs on dual straps, and then having watched DD on Flows decided to have a go with them once my old Drake 2strap bindings had finally died a death.

Im no guru/pro so my observations are probably v naive, but Id say two strap is more secure and better at keeping your toe down on the front edge of the board. Flows tend to get you to improve your whole body balance rather than just using toes and heels to move from edge to edge. Convenience is a definite gain with the Flows.

I got some good condition s/h Flow Five bindings which have been fine. But now Im looking at the Flow Hybrids for my next set where you can separately bolt your toe down but still have step in flexibility.

ads678

I’m getting a bit worried, I’m supposed to be here on the 27th….

bluebird
    Free Member

@Hareydan I’ve not used them as I’m fine with straps, but the Burton step on bindings / boots might be worth a look if you’re after minimum faff.

Digby

I’ve never used the more traditional strap in bindings so I’m wondering what the advantages of them are?

As a sweeping generalisation I think the step-in and flow type bindings have emphasised comfort and east-of-use, whereas the traditional two-strap bindings have emphasised ‘performance’ as your foot can be securely positioned and held in place thus allowing more ‘control’ via ‘foot-steering’.

Whether this is important to you though is personal and above all any system your choose should enhance your enjoyment.

The new Burton StepOn system looks interesting, but as I think was discussed on last years thread it seems a bit like a solution for a problem that perhaps doesn’t exist and pretty much ties you into narrower choice of boots. But if it works for you then go for it!

Haven’t tried any Flow bindings for 10+years but I found them loose & sloppy even when cranked down. Other folks swear by them in particular some of the more recent models which are seemingly more of a hybrid of Straps and Rear Entry … ahem …. :-)

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Nice one OTS. Cannae wait :)

colp

I’ve got some newer Flow NX2 and they are great. You can get them with toe cups instead of toe straps.
    The newer ones can act as standard dual straps too.
    Use mine on piste, deep powder and park.

julians
    Free Member

I bought some Burton step on boots and bindings last year, after using various strap bindings for 20 years. The step ons are fantastic, I find them more responsive than strap bindings, especially going from heel to toe side turns.

The ease of use is great, just being able to step into them straight off the chair lift.

If you can get hold of a pair to try out,I’d recommend it.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

new flows are much improved from old flows, which were terrible. they arent as responsive as trad. straps, but that may not matter to you really. Apparently they work better with flow boots.

i tried the new Burton step ons at the end of last year and I was well impressed. However, you can’t adjust the highbacks on them , so they aren’t for me. They were insanely responsive, almost too responsive actually!

wallop

ads678 – where is that?

igm

I have odd shaped feet (there I said it) and strappy bindings need to be clamped down really tight to get any response. Painful within 30 minutes.
    Flows I can have looser (because they grip my foot in the right places) and still get decent response.

I am decidedly intermediate though – rarely leave the ground, cruising reds and a bit of off the side type off piste.

Short feet with a high instep if that helps.

Current NX2 bindings with the lift up as the back goes down all in one strap.

Previously ran Drake, Burton and Now strappy ones.

nbt

wallop

ads678 – where is that?

La Mongie, according to the image name

Stoner
    Free Member
    bluebird
    Free Member

i tried the new Burton step ons at the end of last year and I was well impressed. However, you can’t adjust the highbacks

You can adjust the highback’s forward lean on Burton Step-ons.

Stoner
    Free Member

those step ons look fantastic. But pricey.
    Cant quite justify them given I bought new ski boots a couple of years ago, and for piste bashing my ancient nitro board (14yrs old) and Northwave boots (16yrs old!) , with some s/h Flow Fives are still working fine. :(

ads678

Yeah La Mongie, Grand Tourmalet in the Pyrenees. Never been before and i’m not sure we’re gonna get too much skiing in!! I’m driving so I might take a bike……

bash
    Free Member

We’re going Skiing in Austria for our first family ski holiday, can anyone recommend any insurance companies please?

Both girls are younger than the minimum age required for list passes but the eldest is having lessons, does anyone know how this works?

Finally any tips for taking a 5 and 2 Yr old Skiing? 2 year old will be in a Creche for some of it, both will have contact details etc written down and put in a pocket should the worst happen.

Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 709 total)

The topic ‘The STW Ski & Snowboard thread. The 2018-2019 season’ is closed to new replies.