Home Forums Chat Forum The one about the Olympic Games 2024

Viewing 40 posts - 641 through 680 (of 1,000 total)
  • The one about the Olympic Games 2024
    crazy-legs

.@DrJ – I did “like” your post but I feel it just needs a mention for just capturing the whole thing of Paris Olympics perfectly. Hope you had a good day on the hill!

Women’s road race tomorrow has Lizzie Deignan, Pfeiffer Georgi and Anna Henderson for GB.

DrJ

@crazy-legs thanks for the kind words. I’ll be back out today for the women’s race but maybe in a different spot to get a different perspective :-).

simondbarnes

Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce apparently not allowed in the stadium… wrong gate or something…  this will cause some major problems

She was allowed in. She was injured during the warm up.

nickingsley

Kayak Cross, short course but pure bedlam. Great to see UK athletes getting through early rounds.

For the Olympic ctte it must have been a close call as to which event to stage, Kayak Cross or 4 in a boxing ring ?

masterdabber
    Free Member

She was allowed in. She was injured during the warm up.

Thanks for the update. That wasn’t the way Eurosport were reporting it at the time. It seemed very extreme not to have allowed her in at all.

theotherjonv

She was EVENTUALLY allowed in. Whether this disrupted preparations and contributed to the injury, or whether there’s more to it, who knows.

TiRed

Watched the 10m air pistol final on Eurosport catch up last night. Unlucky Turkey, but they seem to have won the internet. Then, after a little research, realised we’re missing out. In 1900 there was live pigeon shooting, and in 1908 we had pistol duals. Fencing? Pah!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pistol_dueling_at_the_Summer_Olympics

10m air pistol is surprisingly therapeutic, and aside from the pistol, has minimal to no special equipment needs. Especially if you are single eye dominant like me.

franksinatra

There should absolutely no place for dressage in the Olympics. Dancing ponies is not a sport.

Dressage horses must be bullied in the stables by the other horses. They can’t race, they can’t jump over fences, but they can dance diagonally across a square. What a waste of an olympic sport.

Tom-B
    Free Member

….and again, the current options for viewing are dressage and gold WTAF?!?!

theotherjonv

Take the training method controversy aside, a half tonne horse with that much power being able to move that gracefully and with that control is amazing.

My main contention is how bloody long it takes. A set piece and a freestyle, minutes long each, and each competitor going separately…..god it goes on.

Contrast with team archery that I saw a couple of days ago….. 4 arrows per team, bosh, that’s a set. First to 3 sets, job done. About 6 minutes and done.

fingerbang
    Free Member

really enjoyed last night’s athletics:   Julien Alfred looked steely focussed and Sha’carri ( :)) well nervous at the start, I’m no michael johnson but I had her for the win and was great to see St Lucia getting their first medal.  Amazing!  Darryl Neita as well.  Fantastic performance – best 100m women performance in 64 years?!

the mixed 400 relay – as people have said – Femke Boll is astonishing.  She looked so relaxed at the end.  Is there no way she can double up on the 400m and 400 m hurdles?

I would’ve preferred more athletics coverage than bloody rowing – I know Britain has had their best performance in years but so boring.

jimw
    Free Member

I happened to turn on the tv when the canoe cross was on yesterday Properly bonkers. Loved it

scuttler

I can’t believe how long equestrian guff has been going on. Hardly any countries do it so it’s not like swimming where there’s a big programme and they have loads of entrants. But then I suppose if you’ve created all the junk required to allow the entitled to exercise their Olympic right then it might as well go on for ever.

scuttler
    masterdabber
    Free Member

Anyone know where the women’s road race can be seen. I was watching it on ES2HD, got bored and went over to Moto2 British GP… went back to see the cycling but it’s showing shooting and can’t see the RR anywhere on ES or BBC.

theotherjonv

I’ve only just realised they have changed the women’s gymnastics uneven bars, they used to do moves where they could swing off the higher and wrap themselves around the lower one, now the bars are further apart and they have to do further flights.

When and why was that?

Houns

Watching it on Eurosport 4k (523 on Virgin)

Lots of mechanical issues

crazy-legs

Anyone know where the women’s road race can be seen. I was watching it on ES2HD, got bored and went over to Moto2 British GP… went back to see the cycling but it’s showing shooting and can’t see the RR anywhere on ES or BBC.

Back on ES at 15.45 according to the schedule. Really annoying – got up to make a brew, came back and it was shooting, I thought it’d be a quick summary of other sports but they’re showing the whole final.

Wouldn’t mind if I could access the road racing on another channel but BBC also has the shooting.

masterdabber
    Free Member

Watching it on Eurosport 4k (523 on Virgin)

Lots of mechanical issues

Thanks. Unfortunately I don’t get the 4k channel with our package.

crazy-legs

I’ve only just realised they have changed the women’s gymnastics uneven bars, they used to do moves where they could swing off the higher and wrap themselves around the lower one, now the bars are further apart and they have to do further flights.

When and why was that?

Back in the 80’s a gymnast did a move that the judges realised could basically kill them if they messed it up. A few people had done it since the 70’s, modifying it occasionally and then the final version that lead to it being banned carried a strong risk of breaking the back or neck of the gymnast if they missed the catch.

There was some Olympics guide video online about the history of the various bits of gym equipment.

onehundredthidiot

Didn’t the uneven bars used to be called the asymmetric bars?

Women’s road race has been on my Eurosport 2 all race don’t think I’ve got anything special as I’m too mean to pay over and above.

theotherjonv

Back in the 80’s a gymnast did a move that the judges realised could basically kill them if they messed it up. A few people had done it since the 70’s, modifying it occasionally and then the final version that lead to it being banned carried a strong risk of breaking the back or neck of the gymnast if they missed the catch.

I think you’re referring to the Korbut Flip. I don’t know if it’s banned or just effectively (‘cos you get no points for doing it) but that could still be done from the bars as they are today, it’s a high bar only trick.

In the 80’s, a gymnast tried with a twist as well and became paralysed, which I think is when it actually got ‘banned’

masterdabber
    Free Member

Women’s road race has been on my Eurosport 2 all race don’t think I’ve got anything special as I’m too mean to pay over and above.

I’ve currently got golf on ES2 HD

crazy-legs

Women’s RR on again, looks a great opportunity for GB at this stage!

I think you’re referring to the Korbut Flip… In the 80’s, a gymnast tried with a twist as well and became paralysed, which I think is when it actually got ‘banned’

That was the one! Wish I could find the video I’d seen on it.

kennyp
    Free Member

The final of the men’s archery was a few hours ago. No spoilers but well worth checking out the coverage on Eurosport. Very exciting. And ridiculously skilful.

MoreCashThanDash

Women’s road race is an option in BBC iplayer as I type..

crazy-legs

Women’s RR properly tense now! Another fantastic race!

thethief

Woah! What were they thinking? Another great race.

slowoldman

Dressage horses must be bullied in the stables by the other horses. They can’t race, they can’t jump over fences

I take it you’re not aware of the elements of 3 day eventing.

cheers_drive

Apparently it’s the last night of swimming, however I’ve thought that for the past 5 nights! Far too many races that can be won by the same swimmer.

Caher

China has become a swimming superpower.

crazy-legs

Much to the disbelief of many other nations it seems. Agree about the number of events within swimming, it’s ridiculous. Also – swim one length of the pool, win a gold medal. What’s all that about?!

The RR was brilliant – I reckon there’s a strong case to be made to have a one-day classic on that circuit. Ironically enough it was Lizzie’s attack that set it up – she was dropped, got dragged back to the group by Anna Henderson and (rather foolishly I thought) went over the top and attacked, instantly followed and chased down by Vos and Vas who then put the pressure on a bit and Lizzie went straight out the back door again leaving those two up front. Great ride from Pfeiffer Georgi though.

wooobob

Just back from holiday, had Eurosport out there with loads of channels and varied coverage and good commentary. BBC is virtually unwatchable in comparison – really limited coverage and SO much waffling!

Twodogs

swim one length of the pool, win a gold medal. What’s all that about

What,vyou mean like getting a medal for running a quarter of a lap?

simondbarnes

Also – swim one length of the pool, win a gold medal. What’s all that about?!

I’d much rather watch that than watch people potter about on bicycles for most of a day.

TiRed

Indeed and the feds are looking into it.

https://apnews.com/article/china-doping-swimming-paris-olympics-world-aquatics-d55b6c2853e2d7a79cefa68afe51f9bf

Mass contaminations are possible (don’t eat meat in Colombia), but trimetazidine is not the typical foodstuff contaminant.

Whilst on the subject of doping, Flo Jo never tested positive, but no woman has beaten her 1988 World records for 100 and 200 metres. And I predict no one will this evening either. Testing was ramped up from 1992.

Caher

Flo Jo died pretty young too. Her world record was extraordinary.

From my youth I remember Arnold Schwarzenegger lookalike Jarmila Kratochvílová running an incredible 800 metres. This world record still stands.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

China dominating the diving, think they’ve won every event so far. If nothing else they’re doing something which allows them to put in a lot more training hours.

BoardinBob

Flo Jo never tested positive

I listened to a podcast with Victor Conte years ago, he of BALCO fame, where he stated pretty much every US athlete did test positive but the tests were suppressed and everything brushed under the carpet. Basically every US track and field athlete in the 80s was juiced to the gills (as we’re most other country’s athletes)

argee

Mens 100 was slightly decent!

Struggling to focus on the sports as Clare Baldings hair, it’s like she’s styled it on a bike or horse helmet.

Viewing 40 posts - 641 through 680 (of 1,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.