Home Forums Chat Forum The one about the Olympic Games 2024

Viewing 40 posts - 561 through 600 (of 1,000 total)
  • The one about the Olympic Games 2024
    DrJ

Help me out. I’m planning to go see the men’s road race tomorrow. My chosen vantage point is 240km from the start. What do you think is a maximum speed I should assume in order to make sure I get there on time? I’m thinking 50kph should do it ?

johndoh
    Free Member

Women’s Double Skulls about to start – we have a very strong chance of a medal here.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Great race…. Must have been huge pressure to perform once again.

slowoldman

Disappointed that lightweight sculling is being dropped. That’s weightist.

theotherjonv

TdF typically estimates timings on ‘Flat’ stages at 42/44/46 kph, on ‘hilly’ at 40/42/44, and on ‘mountain’ at 34/36/38 – ish.

So i reckon 50kph on a longer route with a ‘weaker’ (90 riders / small teams) peloton would be very conservative (ie you’ll be there in plenty of time)

sharkbait
    Free Member

Gold in trampolining….. Brilliant!

DrJ

So i reckon 50kph on a longer route with a ‘weaker’ (90 riders / small teams) peloton would be very conservative (ie you’ll be there in plenty of time)

johndoh
    Free Member

I bet Bryony has a spring in her step now.

johndoh
    Free Member

And now a Gold in the horse jumping too.

It’s turning out to be quite a good day.

dooosuk
    Free Member

Sailing seems confusing. All tracking on different lines and different directions. Womens pair from Netherlands were miles infront earlier but seemed to get lost after the last turn and not head for the finish line. Sweden crossed the line first but Netherlands were awarded gold ???

simondbarnes

Sweden crossed the line first but Netherlands were awarded gold ???

Medals are based on the points from the earlier races and the medal race.

convert

Medals are based on the points from the earlier races and the medal race.

Remember that time a few years back where in F1 there were races all season which all counted but the last race of the season was worth double points – basically they stole that from sailing.

meikle_partans
    Free Member

In contrast to the sailing the archery is pleasingly simple and brief (scoring wise that is, I’m sure it’s an absolute whirlwind of complexity to actually do.)

Stevet1

I can imagine the BC Track team coach salivating at the thought of getting Beth away from BMX, let’s hope it doesn’t happen but if it does that power output will take some beating.

Bunnyhop

What a fabulous day for team GB, medals in the : Diving, rowing, sculls, trampolining, horsey jumping. Bring on the BMX, GO BETH.

retrorick

Archery pairs final was too short for my liking. If it had been a few rounds longer it might have been better to watch?

Judo final was short as well.

crazy-legs

Kye Whyte crashed out in semi-final. :-(

Thankfully he seems to be OK.

Edit: was that actually live? Says it’s live NOW but that sort of implies I was watching some recorded stuff earlier and may have just posted some “news” from a few hours ago or even last night!

snotrag

Beth’s final coming up live in a few minutes I think.

ETA Beth at  8.50, mens final at 8.35.

Kye Whyte took a serious dirt nap in the semis, fingers crossed it’s not too bad.

bensales
    Free Member

Now that’s a Manage a Trois

bigdaddy

Wow! French 1 2 3! That was some race! Right, come on Beth!!

snotrag

That was some race! What a result for the French team. Bet that place is rocking!

keefezza
    Free Member

Please say someone else saw the 2 Chinese divers this morning and also sniggered like a fully grown child? Anybody? Just me?

snotrag

Come on Beth!

swavis

Gutted ?

crazy-legs

Wasn’t to be for Beth.

snotrag

What a shame for her, bundled out in the first straight. Absolute champ though throughout, great interview, she’s incredibly likeable.

How big is the velodrome shaped carrot BC are dangling in front of her I presume?

simondbarnes

That was a very good 10,000m

mboy
    Free Member

Please say someone else saw the 2 Chinese divers this morning and also sniggered like a fully grown child? Anybody? Just me?

Bit late catching up but…

Not just you…

gs_triumph

Similar situation to @DrJ.  I’m in Versaille, trying to pick somewhere to watch the road race.  Wondering if there is some kind of guide to work out when they will be at certain locations.

onehundredthidiot

Those French BMX boys will still be partying.

Shreiver, by her own admission, had a slow start. When you play it back her race for gold was over after about 5m.

All the heats in the semi’s was a bit much or built the tension, depending on your point of view.

gs_triumph

Think I’ll watch them go by in versaille then head into paris.  Maybe plan to get to montmartre.

natrix
    Free Member

Some mention of elbows out slowing Beth down in that last race, but she didn’t mention it in the interview, so probably sour grapes in some folks view. I thought she handled it very well in the interview, absolutely gutted for her……………

DrJ

Similar situation to @DrJ.  I’m in Versaille, trying to pick somewhere to watch the road race.  Wondering if there is some kind of guide to work out when they will be at certain locations.

I haven’t found such a guide so I’m just going by the published kilometres and a guess at the average speed. I’ve seen estimates that they’ll be back in Paris at 4 and finish at 5.40. I’ve picked my spot and just need to be there early enough to stake my claim :-)

metalheart
    Free Member

Not read all this thread but no mention of Kim Yeji and ‘Main Character Energy’?

Plus taking silver to room mate/compatriates 10m pistol gold and daughters doll: how **** cool?

Go ROK!

thethief

Road race on BBC red button now, for some unknown reason not on discovery+ for another 40mins or so.

Bunnyhop

Go Pidders, Tarling, Williams and Wright. Long, long race and no radios. Hopefully we can win this as one of the stronger teams. Possibly some of the smaller teams may help us, it’s hard to know.

To those watching ‘sur le lieu meme’, enjoy.

gs_triumph

@thethief

Live discovery+.l now.  Has been for a while.  Might not be on eurosport.

crazy-legs

for some unknown reason not on discovery+ for another 40mins or so

Because there’s another 6+ hrs of racing to go!

Not a lot happening at the moment. A group of the (not to be rude) no-hopers has been allowed to disappear up the road by about 4 minutes, the gap still going out. Everyone else just sitting in the bunch rolling along – it’s literally like a neutralised roll-out on the Tour at the moment. Huge crowds and some nice shots of the Paris skyline. Heading out to Versailles so I’m sure there’ll be some lovely chateau on display.

Edit – coverage switching from iPlayer to BBC1 now.

Bunnyhop

Just been googling GB Gold Medal winners at these games and they missed out Tom Pidcock, have sent them some feedback :0)

jimw
    Free Member

Just watched the women’s rowing eight medal ceremony where Uk got bronze. What really impressed me was that  the Romanians who won gold had all raced in other boats at these games before competing in the eight, so much more effort over the week.

Viewing 40 posts - 561 through 600 (of 1,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.