• This topic has 1,231 replies, 200 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by brant.
Viewing 40 posts - 321 through 360 (of 1,232 total)
  • The new Aluminium Scandal 29er from on one / planet x
  • brant
    Free Member

But surely the point is that with the advent of 170mm droppper posts, what is the point of a 20″ frame? I would probably have gone up another size if it wasnt that much taller.

If you’re going to say that, why are you pissing around with little 170mm ones? I mean with the availability of 200mm+ droppers and 34.9 seatposts what’s the point of that?*

The point here is to have a frame that can be built up with a 400mm post for those people who can’t afford a dropper.

*My new sample has a 380mm seat tube and 500mm reach.

addy6402

Darn – I missed the offers…..but would quite like a frame.

Are there likely to be any further discounts Brant?!

damascus
    Free Member

Thanks Brant, I’ve just ordered a headset.

I’ve also added an ashima rear boost kit for £5.

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/WSAS12RWBAK6/ashima-142x12mm-6-bolt-rear-hub-to-boost-adaptor-kit,

I’m hoping this is another px typo and not another standard 🤣

a Boost compatible 1458x12mm monster.

brant
    Free Member

I did not even know we had those in stock.

ollie51
    Free Member

@brant are you still planning on doing a more XC orientated 100mm alu frame?

brant
    Free Member

@brant are you still planning on doing a more XC orientated 100mm alu frame?

No. Scandal will run with 100mm forks if you want that sort of thing.

tb927
    Free Member

These look great. I’m looking for a bike to be good at farting around in the woods or on a pumptrack but also big Peaks rides and possibly doing badly in marathon xc races. I am 6’7″ with long arms for my height. Currently on an On-One 456 in 20″ which looks like a BMX on me but is fun and I love it. But my old man back says maybe get bike that fits better. And more rollin’ speed is appealing.

Would be interested to hear whether folks reckon they think a Scandal in XL or the more radical ‘Hello Dave’ bike in large with its whopping 520mm reach would be more suited for my size, can’t help think the latter might not be as fun to pop and hop around on, and maybe slower for xc??? but I really don’t know, so any thoughts would be much appreciated.

damascus
    Free Member

I think anything would be better than what you have. I’m 6ft3 and that would be small for me.

My original scandal probably 10 years ago was my first 29er. I found that not having a 200cm steerer and little wheels meant I didn’t keep going over my bars.

Big people need big bikes and big wheels in my opinion especially at 6ft7!

cs645
    Free Member

I appreciate drawbacks of having to commit to a 1000 minimum carbon mold. That said from a (very personal) user perspective, at 60kg, even a well built 1.2kg carbon frame would be strong enough for her to jump it all day (I know, not for the big boys). So an alu or Ti frame (how nice I personally find it) built to last is already 800gr heavier than she needs. A carbon frame (over built for her weight) is as close as it gets for her (the 456C was strong as a tank). On the parts level you can only sensibly save so much. Alternatively we could try a strongish XC frame with a 130mm fork and a 2 degree angleset, but reach, BB height and seat angle numbers won’t be that great then (although sag and the angleset compensate a bit).

For now it’s between a Transition Vanquish or a Scandal with the money saved spent on lighter parts. With a carbon Scandal, the choice would be easy… 😛

misteralz
    Free Member

For £13 I’d be daft not to add that headset to my order. Is that even possible? Don’t fancy buying it separately as it’s a tenner delivery to where I am!

bonzodog
    Free Member

Will this new Scandal take a rigid (carbon) fork?

brant
    Free Member

For £13 I’d be daft not to add that headset to my order. Is that even possible? Don’t fancy buying it separately as it’s a tenner delivery to where I am!

Contact customer service via Live Chat and you should be able to add it.

Will this new Scandal take a rigid (carbon) fork?

Geometry will be OK with a 490mm rigid

misteralz
    Free Member

Just done it, thanks Brant! May have ordered some wheels and a stem, and tyres as well. Just to get me going sooner, really…

damascus
    Free Member

Does anyone know what the length of a genesis tarn fork is as a 29er fork?

russyh
    Free Member

Brant any chance of a cheeky not so early bird discount code?  So I can order one now 😉

brant
    Free Member

Just done it, thanks Brant! May have ordered some wheels and a stem, and tyres as well. Just to get me going sooner, really…

Impossible as it’s well documented on Facebook and Twitter and here that they never answer live chat.

hardtailonly

Frankly, I’d rather do smaller batches in Ti than commit to 1000’s out of carbon mold (for lots of reasons).

Yes please. I’m in.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Finally cracked and bought the full GX bike. With the discount making it £900 it just seemed hard to build something comparable.

Still not sold on the 50t cassette though!

orena45

<div class=”bbp-reply-author”>thisisnotaspoon
    <div class=”bbp-author-role”>
    <div class=””>Subscriber</div>
    </div>
    </div>
    <div class=”bbp-reply-content”>

Finally cracked and bought the full GX bike. With the discount making it £900 it just seemed hard to build something comparable.

</div>

Huh…what £100 discount is this?!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The build it yourself option.

chakaping
    Free Member

Do they just send you all the bits in a big box?

akira

Think you have to physically go to pick it up, do the secret STW handshake with Brant and then you get to build it up there and then.

windysurfer
    Free Member

Would a 140mm fork be ok on it?

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Where’s the DIY option?

damascus
    Free Member

Brants probably at the pub so I’ll save him a job

https://www.planetx.co.uk/help/pick-it-build-it-ride-it

bob_summers

As per another thread, I preordered an orange one in L, GX build.
    I have been out of MTBs for years – there’s a bit of cash left in the budget once I’ve bought some Time Atacs – what will this need? Dropper (never ridden with one)? ANyone know what wheels are shipping?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Wheels are fulcrum, which are generally fine. Droppers are nice but TBH not essential IMO for normal-ish* riding.

*unless normal for you involves head height drops

variflex
    Free Member

Looks like the frames and being sent out. Just received an email to say mine arrives tomorrow…. just need to wait for the headset now and a wheel adapter (for rear boost). Pretty excited, first on-one since I sold the C456 in 2012.

lovewookie

ooh.
    got an email from PX today too, but figured it’d be the stuff I ordered over the weekend..

maybe it’ll be a frame too..

bob_summers

thisisnotaspoon

Subscriber
    Finally cracked and bought the full GX bike. With the discount

Bugger. What discount?

brant
    Free Member

PBR10

sguiom
    Free Member

Frame shipped!!! Very happy to see a company which actually deliver BEFORE the promised date! I am starting to fall in love with on one/planetx spirit, and coming from a frenchie, that’s a goddamn compliment 😉

bob_summers

PBR10

The R means it can be retrospectively applied, right? 😁

damascus
    Free Member

Pick, build, ride 10% off full bikes

brant
    Free Member
    thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Just got a text to say my orders being delivered?

BRANTTTTTTT!!!!!!!

Kryton57

The whole bike?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

No, frame.

Ahh well. Will give them a ring on my lunch and sort it out.

maycontainnuts

Complete bike has been delivered…. Unfortunately I’m working away all week. Oh well, let’s hope for a bit of sunshine to trial it for the weekend.

lovewookie

Think mine will get here tomorrow.
    orange frame, I’ve gone for a set of bright green 120mm reba’s, tan wall tyres and a splatter of colours elsewhere too.

it’ll look horrendous I’m sure, but i’m looking forward to my first proper modern bike in about 15 years.

Viewing 40 posts - 321 through 360 (of 1,232 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM