• This topic has 1,231 replies, 200 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by brant.
Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 1,232 total)
  • The new Aluminium Scandal 29er from on one / planet x
  • jasonm945
    Free Member

Further tot he headset question, the original specs had the headset as a 42/52 but the link now points to a 44/56 (which seems more likely).
    Brant, could you confirm what the headset sizing is?

brant
    Free Member

I made it btw

View this post on Instagram

Made it.

A post shared by brant (@shedfire) on

brant
    Free Member

brant
    Free Member

Does that mean it’s coming with the headset installed?

No

weeksy

Forget the bike FFS, can we have some cheap socks!

damascus
    Free Member

How’s the beer Brant?

Beer horse can be the name of your next fat bike 🐴😂🍻

damascus
    Free Member

how do the forks on the scandal compare to the revs.

When I asked about the forks I was told they are like the old revelations but 35mm sanctions rather than 32.  I’m sure others will give you a better reply. It’s certainly not a bad fork at this price!

and is the £999 build better value, add in a dropper take sit too about 1150

Better value than the cheaper spec or the other bike you are looking at?

whatgoesup

Brand-X Ascend droppers are £90 from Start fitness right now (using 10% off discount code that they say is valid until midnight).

stanstorey
    Free Member

Brand-X Ascend droppers are £90 from Start fitness right now (using 10% off discount code that they say is valid until midnight).

Thank you – have just ordered one, just what i was looking for ready for delivery next month!

ElVino

Just a quick question what is the minimum fork steerer length will I need for a large – HT Length 120mm?

kazafaza
    Free Member

Depends on the stem and the headset doesn’t it? To be on the safe side I’d add at least 40mm for the stem and 20mm for the bearing cups…

stussy365
    Free Member

Question
    Upgrade to GX (though not too bothered about carbon bars) or use money for a dropper?

damascus
    Free Member

Brant, the website says

Bikes showing as in stock we aim to build on Tuesday 24th of September.

Any ideas on when the frame only will be posted?

Thanks

brant
    Free Member

Bikes showing as in stock we aim to build on Tuesday 24th of September

Yes. It does say that.

Sorry about the confusion.

It also says the frames are in stock mid October. And that bikes will be built when frames arrive.

It also says on the bike page “
    These will be built and shipped in Mid October“

To avoid any confusion and give you a bit of background, one of the reason we offer such ridiculous value is we assemble bikes in the uk from frames and parts, rather than receiving boxed bikes.

damascus
    Free Member

Thanks brant for the update and customer service. It’s just a shame the rest of planet x isn’t as good as you.

<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>one of the reason we offer such ridiculous value is………..</span>

Is this going to be your new competition? 🤣

So, the answer to when they are ready is you don’t really know? And your website is as always, misleading with not enough information on?

bigjim

it’s fairly clear it’s going to be mid october onwards isn’t it. other bike manufacturers are available.

looking forward to my scandal frame winging its way to denmark!

Jase_MK
    Free Member

Anyone got a link to a suitable, reasonably priced headset for this? On-One or otherwise. I used to understand things when it was 1″ or 1.1/8″, external cups. I just looked at a bunch of headsets with various numbers and am now totally confused.

Also, a week or so ago there was a headset linked to from the Scandal frame page, now there isn’t. I just found something on there somewhere after lots of clicking around that possibly looks suitable but it’s not listed under the ‘headsets’ category and now I’ve lost it again. Also it was £35 or £39, when most of their other headsets are about £20.

I’m a bit lost on the headset front.

stanstorey
    Free Member

Has anyone else got and parts lined up for when their Scandal build arrives?
    Or what are people planning to build their frames up with?

I am getting some parts ordered up for fitting when my GX arrives.
    Dropper and 203mm disc here ready, but I am now thinking tyres as I am keen to try (rightly or wrongly!) 2.5 or 2.6 tyres on it.
    I am coming from a Sonder Transmitter with 2.8 DHF front and 2.6 DHR rear.

My question is:- the Fulcrum wheels, does anyone know the rim width and if Maxxis WT tyres are suitable?
    I think i read 27.5mm somewhere but cannot find the link again!

Kryton57

Can I ask – a lot of people have paid out for this before its tried and tested, so how are you so confident in it?   Its a genuine question as I’m potential looking at the GX one but am nervous of buying something that hasn’t actually been reviewed for real by the public as yet….

brant
    Free Member

Can I ask – a lot of people have paid out for this before its tried and tested, so how are you so confident in it? Its a genuine question as I’m potential looking at the GX one but am nervous of buying something that hasn’t actually been reviewed for real by the public as yet…

It’s a good balance of modern without being too out there. A progression from the Stif Morf and Sonder Transmitter, the Blue Pig, Summer Season, Nukeproof Mega, Codeine, Titus Fireline.

We’ve sold nearly 200 so far so must be doing something right.

Kryton57

I appreciate the response Brant, but my question is from a user perspective.  Kit and Geo looks great but so can it on any bike, its how it actually performs thats important.

With the greatest respect, I’m one of perhaps one of a few that owned and didn’t get on with a 29er Inbred – too harsh for me, hence my caution.

brant
    Free Member

I appreciate the response Brant, but my question is from a user perspective. Kit and Geo looks great but so can it on any bike, its how it actually performs thats important.

With the greatest respect, I’m one of perhaps one of a few that owned and didn’t get on with a 29er Inbred – too harsh for me, hence my caution.

Inbred29 was a great bike for it’s time, but time and riding styles have moved on a lot.
    Scandal is totally different model, but you’re obviously probably best waiting a few months for feedback to come in if you’re feeling insecure about purchasing.

cs645
    Free Member

I wanted to say I’d love a carbon version of this new Scandal. Geometry is perfect.

My wive had a 456 carbon for many years and had to sell it to a friend who is now still very happy with it and changed his whole perspective on mountainbiking.

People didn’t understand the logic behind it, they were still boxed into hardtail has to be “XC” geometry mindset. They didn’t seem to be able to get their head around the fact that a 2 degree slacker head angled doesn’t magically increase the rolling resistance or that you climb with the rear of the bike (like Brant pointed out), not with the front. These bikes are so extremely versatile and fast on so many types of terrain.

Now more bike companies seem to understand and slowly more bikers previously buying “standard” geometry seem to be warming up to slack hardtails.

Anyways, my wife dearly misses her 456 carbon, she loves riding in the most horrible conditions and just loved the playfulness and easy of maintenance of her 456. If I could replace it with a carbon scandal that would be awesome. Yes, I know it’s only 500gr…

Cheers.

jayx2a
    Free Member

What’s the standover on the large? Stats are missing from the Geo.

My last large HT was a bit close to taking off my knackers!

matt_outandabout

We’ve sold nearly 200 so far so must be doing something right.

Like constantly using the largest cycle forum to promote products endlessly, including nudging threads up as they quieten down?

🤔

damascus
    Free Member

Tbf matt, I started this thread, and most of us summon brant like beetlejuice.

If planet x had a better website, more information, consistent information that didn’t contradict itself then we wouldn’t have to.

Yes, brant might drop in a link or two but it’s all relevant and those of us buying appreciate his input.

Forums are pretty slow these days compared to a few years ago. It’s nice to see a thread reach 8 pages that isn’t a Brexit related one.

And brant has helped numerous people out with bad customer service by asking them to dm him. He’s also used this forum for for years and added some great insight to theads not about planet x.

I’m sure if he breached anything the mods would remove it.

brant
    Free Member

Like constantly using the largest cycle forum to promote products endlessly, including nudging threads up as they quieten down?

🤔

are you suggesting jayx2a is my shill account?

damascus
    Free Member

See, mention his name and within 6 minutes he responds! 😂

joshvegas
    Free Member

[testmode]

Jayx2a jayx2a jayx2a
    Brant brant brant

[\testmode]

brant
    Free Member

The problem with “standover” is how it’s measured. It’s not a driven/specced dimension (in my case), it’s the result (largely) of headtube length, fork length, wheel diameter, seat tube length, top tube diameter, bb height.

It also varies how it’s measured. Bikecad (which I use for drafting stuff) shows standover measured in the centre point of the top of of the top tube.
    Lots of companies show standover as the height of the top tube above the ground in line with the nose of the saddle.

Clearly, with a sloping top tube, the futher back you measure, the lower standover is. However, with massive differences between these two dimensions, unless you actually know what you’re comparing with what, arm chair analysis is totally worthless.

Even comparing bike to bike, with a steeply sloping top tube, hugely different numbers can come out and wildly throw people off line.

Head tube length and fork length, or even “stack” is a much better gauge of standover really. As people probably stand nearer the front of the bike rather than the back.

Anyhow. I just fired up bikecad over a flat white and smashed avocado on home made sourdough and got the following numbers out.

First are to centre of the top tube, second are to the “point on the top tube below the nose of the saddle” – and that’s a very arbitary position.

The large in question has a 120mm headtube, 130mm fork, and a 460mm seat tube. The top tube runs in a straight line ish.

I’ve equally found obsession over standover height quite hilarious, though actually less so as I’m probably guilty as pushing it back in the day when me and Zak were writing for MBUK. The old “make sure you can get your hand between your knackers and the top tube” might have worked a bit like “knee over pedal spindle” but as forks acquired suspension things changed. Plus nobody ever really stands over their bike like that. I certainly couldn’t stand over my YZ125 when I used to have one, and I used to ride that through forests a lot. Though it did get lower when it was stuck in a bog.

If you lose your footing and head towards your top tube, you’re smacking your balls whatever size frame you’ve got.

Numbers below.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B28sBQDHhLB/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

brant
    Free Member

Oh and this is the headset (It says one in stock, but I bet there isn’t actually).
    https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/HSSELC158Z/selcof-zero-stack—semi-integrated-cup-cartridge-bearing-headset-for-tapered-1-1-8th–15-fork-steerer

More coming early October (before the frames)

chakaping
    Free Member

A modern 29in carbon 456 could be awesome, yes.

Perhaps they couldn’t do it for that kind of money any more though.

brant
    Free Member

A modern 29in carbon 456 could be awesome, yes.

Perhaps they couldn’t do it for that kind of money any more though.

The Scandal is going so well, we might. I think things have settled down a bit now – we could even make it 1.8in steerer compatible and use that new mech hanger.

Frankly, I’d rather do smaller batches in Ti than commit to 1000’s out of carbon mold (for lots of reasons).

shermer75
    Free Member

I’m a bit lost on the headset front.

You’re not the only one! It’s become a total pain in the arse

chakaping
    Free Member

Can I ask – a lot of people have paid out for this before its tried and tested, so how are you so confident in it? Its a genuine question as I’m potential looking at the GX one but am nervous of buying something that hasn’t actually been reviewed for real by the public as yet….

To answer this as someone who hasn’t bought one (frame weight too close to my SolarisMAX to be worth buying for more XC use)…

I’ve ridden so many bikes I can tell the geo will work, and a modern butted aluminum frame would have to be pretty rubbish to not be worth £150.

The appeal of this bike to a lot of buyers is probably that you can’t get those angles for that money anywhere else really.

brant
    Free Member

The appeal of this bike to a lot of buyers is probably that you can’t get those angles for that money anywhere else really.

Bingo. When we did the inbred, one of the points was always that it wasn’t just expensive bikes that could have good geometry.

russyh
    Free Member

Stupidly I snoozed and missed the early bird discount…. it looks perfect numbers wise

Kryton57

Thanks chakaping.  I guess it for me to decide whether a slightly slacker, slightly longer bike is worth the difference in cost between that and the sale of my 100mm.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The large in question has a 120mm headtube, 130mm fork, and a 460mm seat tube. The top tube runs in a straight line ish.

But surely the point is that with the advent of 170mm droppper posts, what is the point of a 20″ frame? I would probably have gone up another size if it wasnt that much taller.

chakaping
    Free Member

Most brands could take 20 or 30mm off all their seat tubes, eh?

I could just about squeeze on a large of I wanted to.

Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 1,232 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.