Viewing 40 posts - 321 through 360 (of 365 total)
  • The 2019 XC Racing thread.
  • mick_r

And Aberystwyth now cancelled 🙁

ferrals
    Free Member

Yes, disappointed about that.. was just starting to get excited to put a number on again!

I was always a bit sceptical about how they were going to manage national-level parking numbers as for the welsh rounds its was just a farmers field; but a really pisser for the organisers.

Just hope I can mae the reschedules date as its a cracking course (the video and course map looks the same as last years weslh champs)

mick_r

Is there a new date / venue? I haven’t seen the actual email (just a message off Mrs) and nothing on BC.

Shame they can’t do Fforest Fields again (with proper camping next door). Still glad it wasn’t Builth (although that is at least an easy venue for organisers).

ferrals
    Free Member

Agreed, I love Fforest Fields (in the dry, the year in the wet wasnt so fun!). Also, The Bulls (Builth cycle club) put on a cracking race on a proper hill just next to the showground for one of the Welsh races last year, again based at a campsite, would be a great venue but not being used for the weslh series this year either.

On Facebook it says we’ll hear about a reschedule in the next few days. Apparently, it will be after the Nat Champs some time. Definietly worth going if you can get to the new date as its a cracking course

john_l
    Free Member

I’ll be at the Gorrick – 5 laps, SS for Singular.

twowheels
    Free Member

@mcvittees – football :/ It’s much better now but I wimped out last Weds due to the rain and because I’ve let fitness slip. Might come this week to fight for 3rd in SOM though.

twowheels
    Free Member

Right, my bike is already muddy and I can ride moderately hard with a brace so I’m coming 🙂
    Need a top 5 finish for 3rd overall in SOM. I want one of Bruce’s trophies!

Kryton57

Ha Ha.   I was just washing my bike when the heavens opened.   I shall make my way tiredly around at the back as usual, Jnr is racing to secure his 2nd place trophy.

twowheels
    Free Member

Nice to see you Kryton57. Sorry I meant to say afterwards hope you enjoy Exmoor!

It was a bit muddy tonight and more grimy than the other mud round. I slid out and crashed twice on the first lap then gradually lost motivation. My HR on the last lap (which I’m irritated the results don’t show!) was <140 and I rarely exceeded 150 after the 2nd lap.

Kryton57

Likewise and exacty the same for me.  As I mentioned I’m still tired from the training block and two laps in after watching many people fall over, walked half of the circuit, got fed up and slip and slide the rest I decided to pack it in.  I’d be gutted if I hurt myself 10 days from Exmoor after what I’ve been through over the last few weeks!

On the plus side, I had the jet wash to myself 🙂 How did your ankle hold up?

twowheels
    Free Member

Ankle was fine thanks Kryton. Yep not worth you risking Exmoor for after all the training and I probably would have stopped too if I had something coming up.

It turns out my missing lap in the results was because I narrowly (<20s) got lapped by the winner :/ I remember letting someone past but didn’t realise he was the leader (Matthew Webber was just behind me).

steve_b77
    Free Member

Kind of XCO on PED’s this weekend for me as I’m off to Mountain Mayhem 24hr, but as a part of a team of 4. Not quite the distance / destruction of doing it solo, but I fully expect to do around 80 to 90km of not quite threshold XC racing over the weekend with the 9km / 245m per laps lap they’ve designed.

So Monday in work may well be interesting to say the least!!

ferrals
    Free Member

Bit of a grumble/download. Did my first XC race of the year yesterday; and on the basis of that its going to be my last. I’ve not had the time to ride my mountain bike much this year so technically I was inept and not managed structured training either so fitness was lacking. Rode the B-lines in 3 out of 4 AB splits which was loosing me about 45s – 1 minute every 12minute lap (according to someone who timed the differences). Found the course dull, didnt have anyone that close to race against for most of the race and wish I’d spent the day with the family instead.
    Been filled with self-loathing ever since; I’ve ridden one of the A-B splits before in a previous race but my head just wasn’t there yesterday. I know I should be putting more effort in trainingwise, its just so easy a the moment to think ‘work’s hard, I’ll have a beer instead.’ I’m ~4-6kg overweight when my peak fitness weight is about 58kg (so quite a big percentage increase). All my own fault so I can’t really expect to do better but just very demoralised. Seriously thinking of selling my MTB and sticking to cyclocross.

Kryton57

Been filled with self-loathing ever since

I can’t really expect to do better

Don’t – like you said you hadn’t ridden or trained and most likely most other would have.  Oh well, its done – move on and don’t beat yourself up, your making your own life a misery when you don’t have to.

Seriously thinking of selling my MTB

Don’t, you’ll regret it and will never get back what you paid.

‘work’s hard, I’ll have a beer instead.’

We all go through that, I did it yesterday sipping a glass of water and was in bed by 10:10 whilst Mrs K was watching Love Island accompanied by a decent Malbec.   I told myself “your an athlete, you have a target race next Sunday why sabotage it?   There always next Sunday night to get pissed…”

If I was you I’d forget the XC race and start planning how to get fit for the CX season, do some research, build a plan.

I say all this having received all of the same advice through the year which I’m merely repeating for your benefit, I hope it helps!

Kryton57

Don’t – like you said you hadn’t ridden or trained and most likely most other would have.  Oh well, its done – move on and don’t beat yourself up, your making your own life a misery when you don’t have to.

I’ll just add – this year I’ve done XCO 9 races now where I know I’d underperform/could not complete.  Its VERY hard squashing your ego and not chucking your toys out of the pram especially when you’re amongst known peers.    My coach said to me “its the big picture that counts”.   It took me some time to enjoy and laugh about XC racing whilst coming bottom.

However, I’ve improved on every XCM race I’ve ridden in 2019.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

@ferrals

Don’t.

Sh1t happens.

Racing is full of good days & bad days – that’s the nature of the beast.

As the saying goes “You were lapping everyone on the sofa…”

You did achieve something – you were out on your bike. For my money that’s always a win!

ferrals
    Free Member

Cheers Kryton, good advice. Had a quick look at year to date trends on the elevate app (strave chrome plug-in) and I’m 8hrs riding down timewise from last year, and 40hrs down from when I was really training hard a couple of years ago. Not only that my intensity has been lower this year, so I really shouldnt be surprised. Plenty of time to build into CX though as you say. I’ll focus on working out a proper routine for that and use yesterday as a kick up the arse to swtich the beer for training!

edit. @mrbolowsky – cheers. Yes – and also a bad race is still good training I guess!

2tyred

Anyone heading to Norwich/Thickthorn for the BMBS this weekend? Loading up shortly for the long drive south from Glasgow.

Anyone know what the course is like there?

Never been to Norwich, I believe the pedestrianisation of the city centre is controversial, however we are going to try and find time to seek out a cracking owl sanctuary. Linton Travel Tavern sadly fully booked.

windyg
    Free Member

2tyred I hope you like grass as that’s what 80% of it is.

mick_r

No way are we driving that far and paying so much in entry fees to ride round a field. Sorry BC.

At the other end of the spectrum,the last two Midweek Madness races have been great. Chorlton was filthy but a great race with constant battles. Clayton Vale was mostly dry but a bit yo-yo every lap singlespeed straights vs climbs. Junior managed to make the senior podium at both of them. A certain Mr Chippendale even made a guest appearance (but no sign of Steve_b77 – presumably still recovering from Mayhem).

Also big thanks to Evans at the velodrome for tightening a loose cassette lock ring 20 mins before the race.

finners

Apologies to hijack a “serious” thread. Where can i find a list / calendar of race dates? I’m not looking for anything serious.Used to do the No Fuss 10 event years ago, so something like those. I like the race element, but not a racer by any stretch.
    Thanks in advance.

Betamax
    Free Member

Haha! @2tyred

iain65
    Free Member

2tyred – got to Thickthorn about 6pm, haven’t bother to walk round the course yet but my lad has cycled it, looks pretty flat, a few uphill ramps and a fast section through some woods. If you are into a bit of change it will be good fun as MSG always put on a good race.

Finners – the British cycling events page is the best place to start, local races like FNSS will be on their own Facebook pages though.

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/events?search_type=upcomingevents&zuv_bc_event_filter_id%5B%5D=7

http://fnssmtb.com

mick_r

Finners – Galloway Hillbillies picked up the Kirroughtree 10 from No Fuss. On in late August if you fancy that. Otherwise BC calendar covers most things.

twowheels
    Free Member

Good reminder about FNSS iain65. I might do 1 or 2..

Round 10 July 12th CATS MBC @ Spanhoe Aerodrome, Bulwick NN17 5AF – maybe [can make it but not been here before and wondering how exciting can an aerodrome be?!]

Round 13 August 9th Team Jewson @ Adventure Sport – quite likely

Non Counting BBQ & Handicap August 17th CATS MBC @ KIlworth Spring Golf Club, LE17 6HJ – maybe

Kryton57

Fuckity ****.  Exmoor was supposed to be my A+ Marathon yet despite the hard work and taper ive had a sore throat with green phlegm all weekend and two punctures during the Marathon.  Placed 45 of 111 Vets actual, 35th if you take away repair time.

Not the best.  Boy, that Exmoor Marathon is a tough gig.

On to the 24/12 12 hour.

windyg
    Free Member

2tyred were you on a single speed in Vets?

2tyred

windyg – I was indeed!

That was a bike race, just not sure it was a mountain bike race! Nice weekend though.

windyg
    Free Member

You were right in front of me on the grid. Well done, not sure I could have got around on an SS like that. I made a great start and then just couldn’t find a decent pace, too much grass for me, my team mate tried to help me along but i just dropped back and ended up 29th.

twowheels
    Free Member

I had a jolly in the fun category at the national champs (Cannock) on Saturday.

It hammered down with rain for 25 minutes before the race leaving some big puddles and slidy parts. Saw a guy wipe out horribly on a rutted descent and decided taking it easy was definitely the best approach. Nearly stacked it on the rock garden on lap 2 but otherwise cleaned all the A-lines.

Suitably splattered afterwards and tucking into my 2nd burger 🙂

Kryton57

So – we are getting toward the end of the MTB season, hows everyone going?   I seem to have a late resurgence in fitness, but am currently on Hols contemplating 2020.

Me – Ive one last training block before the Gorrick Cool in October, where my intention is to place as high as possible for a good mental boost.  Then it’s a month off.

Next year it’s going to be Marathons as B/A races for me, plus the Pivot 12hr as an A race. After accidentally doing well in the latter i’m having to defer to what I already knew, which is that I’m stronger in the longer durations.  It’s a shame because I like the flexibility of racing locally in the morning to be home in the afternoon, rather than the long drives and long weekends to Wales/Exmoor/Peaks.

One of the other targets I have is mentality.  We’ve discovered I’m crap when stressed or don’t believe in myself, so I’m going to work on that also.

mrmo
    Free Member

Another DNF in the Grand Raid BCVS, I think I am going to have to accept my body simply doesn’t function well enough in the Alps, I suppose it might be possible to acclimatise but I don’t have the time or money to spend weeks doing so. The issue is a mix of the heat and the altitude going from a UK Summer and living close to see level to a Swiss summer and being at a slightly higher altitude!

iain65
    Free Member

Season finished a few weeks ago for me, ended up 11th in the GV National series which was okay, shame one of my counting rounds had suffered with a puncture, but that’s the way it goes. 5th in the Midlands series which was a surprise as I only did the minimum number of rounds.

All in all a reasonable year, the first half was pretty good but work commitments tended to get in the way latterly.

Finished the year doing the Brighton Big Dog in pairs with my team mate Andy who has been my closest rival all season (finished second), nice to race with him and not against him for a change!

Off to the Scott marathon next weekend, not sure whether I want to chase round it at race pace or take a chilled ride round with my wife!

Also did a few road races this year, a couple of ‘proper ones’ including a Cotswold league round (got dropped) and the Banbury Star event up Edgehill, finishing okay. Also did some mid week third cat races at Dalton Barracks, good fun and great training.

Off to Scotland in the motorhome soon to ride as much fun stuff as possibly before training starts again!

Hope you guys are taking a well earned break!

steve_b77
    Free Member

XC done for me now, it’s all about CX until January, then XCM and XCO after that. I reckon in 2020 I’m going to do more XCO and concentrate on that and team / pairs 12 & 24hr racing as that went pretty well this year.

Despite not riding much since 24/12 I seem to have maintained a good base level of fitness – banged out a sub 6 century (proper imperial one) today and have done 400k in the last 10 days, with 2 more rides planned before CX starts next weekend.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Off to the Scott marathon next weekend, not sure whether I want to chase round it at race pace or take a chilled ride round with my wife!

do we know the route yet?

Kryton57

I quit.   I’m done.

Yep, I know some will – quite rightly – say “I told you so”, but I’m now at the end of my tether.   Unable to complete any training sessions this week, dying on the bike with extreme fatigue last week, I’ just bouncing between pain and fatigue and I’m done with that.   I’ve no gains I could easily demonstrate over 2 years and I’m sleeping with legs and hip pain that keeps me awake at night.

I may resurface next year with a self-managed TrainerRoad plan or something but now I’m off to trade my hardtail for a slack play bike so I can learn to enjoy myself again.

Words of wisdom welcome but don’t feel obliged, I really do need a hug. 🙁

weeksy

but now I’m off to trade my hardtail for a slack play bike so I can learn to enjoy myself again.

I see that as a BRILLIANT thing mate. OK so it’s not in ideal circumstances but sometimes we have to accept where we are in the world. MTBing is supposed to be fun, pleasureable and enjoyable. Yes, even when racing.

You’ve now found that what you need is some fun, embrace it, turn Strava off (or ignore it) get yourself to Jedi for training, hit Swinley, Afan, FoD. I’d ride with you any day of the week now you’re in the right mindspace 🙂

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

I decided to take a break from racing this year after racing 5 years on the trot. We moved house a couple of times last winter which really scuppers the winter training so decided to just ride for fun this year. We eventually moved into the Peaks in March so there’s no plenty of fun stuff around. Has been quite nice to just do what I want when I want rather than specific intervals and training.

I did ride the Dirty Reiver 200k earlier this year and more recently had a blast around the Scott Marathon in Hope Valley in a reasonably respective time but that’s it.

I’ve still ridden a lot this year, had a crack at some trail running / races and now I’m chomping at the bit ready to race XC again next year. Might even rock up at some local CX races over the next few months! We’ve got a Baby Jimbob arriving in December so we’ll see how that plays out I guess!

c_klein87

racing definitely isn’t everything, i used to do five 12hr races a season but so far i’ve done one scott marathon this year, but now i’m doing more adventure rides, south downs double etc, much less admin! still riding as much as ever but seems easier to squeeze in with no pressure on it.

Kryton57

Well, I emailed my coach with essentially the above and he’s come back with some evidential data to my physiological success / training adaptations, a revised 4 week replacement plan to provide some relief and confidence vs the current one, and some advice about my mentality – which I admit err’s to glass half empty.

He also agreed to put some core visible self measures in place after my off season for next year which will help me as I don’t get his view of my world and obviously need my ego massaged a little from a confidence perspective.

Weeksy, I’d love to ride Swinley and have a tea with you after mid October if you’re about one weekend!

Viewing 40 posts - 321 through 360 (of 365 total)

The topic ‘The 2019 XC Racing thread.’ is closed to new replies.