Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 365 total)
  • The 2019 XC Racing thread.
  • Kryton57

Well, we are in the planning stages, right?

So what are your plans for next year, what’s planned for winter and how are you training?   After Year 1 of coached training I’ve taken advice/learned that I’m more “endurance” than “power” but I do have a strong training ethic.

So I’m “off season” until November asked to ride about 6hrs a week unstructured to a moderate effort.  Mentally I’m in a dark place, being frustrated with no plan, yet unable to properly relax as I’m already gaining weight and feeling the morning after feelings of even 1 or 2 bottles of post work beer.  I feel awful.

My main goal is Technical ability and Mental preparation.  I’m too quick to throw toys out the pram and throw my hard work away when things aren’t going to plan, so I’m going to work on mental preparation and strength as an athlete and push my comfort zones hard over winter.

Yet, my plans are made;

a) Winter training November – March including the Gorrick Brass Monkeys 4h series as training races

b) March – Sept XCO, the Eastern regional MSG series, plus 1 or 2 Nationals in gaps all as “B” Races where they don’t clash with…

c) March – Sept  XCM, all 4 Scott Marathons are this years “A” races surrounded by a periodised plan.

d) The Pivot 24/12 12 hour solo, a B race.

That should keep me busy.  You?

steve_b77
    Free Member

My plans are quite simple, do the same type of training I’ve done this year to focus on 3 main events.

– Mountain Mayhem 24hr Solo

– Exposure 12 (was Pivot) if the holiday works out right

– WEMBO Euro 24hr Champs Solo in September

All this interspersed with the MTB Marathon Series, I’m going to try and actually make them this year, Fox Anti-Freeze, Dyfi Winter Warmer, Dyfi Enduro and a few Sportives later in the year to top up the mileage. Also going to throw in Monster Cross in early next year for shits & giggles.

It’s then make my mind up time to see if I carry on with 12 & 24hr racing or hang up the bikes and just ride instead.

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

I’m having a year “off”.

I’m likely to be moving house twice over the next 4-5 months which kind of scuppers a structured training plan. All being well, my final house move will be into the centre of the Peak District and I figured I’d take a year enjoying new trails and getting stuck into some trail running rather than heading out, looking for a hill to do 3 min reps on etc etc.

The long term plan is to build huge base fitness heading into winter 2019 when I’ll jump back into the XC training regime.

theotherjonv

I’m not a racer (never was to the extent of training particularly although i did some riding with a number pinned on once upon a time)

I’m more concerned by this

So I’m “off season” until November asked to ride about 6hrs a week unstructured to a moderate effort.  Mentally I’m in a dark place, being frustrated with no plan, yet unable to properly relax as I’m already gaining weight and feeling the morning after feelings of even 1 or 2 bottles of post work beer.

#1 – are you taking this too seriously, from what i know you’re way faster than most of us yet still (trying to be kind) ‘Not all that’. By all means train to get as good as you can be but this is supposed to be for enjoyment, right? And if it puts you ‘in a dark place’ I’d speak to someone about why that is and whether you can address that before worrying massively about your training plan.

#2 – if you can’t live without a plan, and not having one **** you up that badly, then make one. It can still be a plan to have unstructured training sessions at a moderate effort, book them as you would a structured plan:

Monday – rest day

Tuesday – 90 minute road ride with a few hill efforts

Weds – 90 mins night ride in scary woods riding technical stuff

and so on…….

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

I can relate to the being in a dark place….

I’ve not ridden any more than 5 hours a week over the last month or so compared to 15 hours a week from Oct – August.  I haven’t ridden for over a week, I can’t remember the last time I could say that!  When I think about going for a ride now I’m thinking “how long for / how hard should I go” etc etc and in the end just think sod it!  I find it much easier to get out when I’m following a plan.  My fitness has dropped a lot over the last few months.

Fortunately I’ve discovered an interest in running, so the aches and pains from that are keeping my mind occupied for now.  I’ll come up with some sort of loose riding schedule at some point soon I’m sure.

ferrals
    Free Member

Probably not bothering with much XC next year. I’ve come to the conclusion that the time out of the house to cycling time isnt that beneficial.  I’f I’m going to be out of the house for 7 hrs (2hrs drive each way, 3hrs for racing, pracitise laps and associated pissing around), I’d be better off going for a long 4hr ride and spending more time with the family.  So I’m just going to race any races within an hours drive and a couple of longer events. Not done battle of the beach yet and its close so that is on my hitlist. These will just be worked into my general training plan for cx with no tapering etc.

However this may change depending on what the race calander looks like. National events still aent out are they?

@kryton – seems to be unstructured riding is perfect tech skill development. Surely you have some little DH runs or dirt jumps you can session nearby?

Kryton57

<span style=”display: inline !important; float: none; background-color: transparent; color: #222222; font-family: ‘Open Sans’; font-size: 16px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: 22.4px; orphans: 2; text-align: left; text-decoration: none; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px;”>@kryton – seems to be unstructured riding is perfect tech skill development. Surely you have some little DH runs or dirt jumps you can session nearby?</span>

Sure.  To answer you and theotherjonv, my “dark place” I refer to is my just being a little ansy about sitting about in the evenings, I don’t enjoy doing nothing.

My “unstructured” is actually 90 mins 200w, a 90 mins road ride and a 3-4hr XC ride a week every week.  I fact shortly after the OP I did the first on the turbo, I’ve just finished (day off work).

On Saturday it rained mid ride so for tech practise I changed course deliberately to both lengthen my ride in the wet for a mental adjustment, and to ride the “rooty” section of my local forest to get some wet roots practice in.  I’m likely to be at Hadleigh session some drops the week after next.  I do little things like ride no hands on bridleways for balance and core work as well.

<span style=”display: inline !important; float: none; background-color: transparent; color: #222222; font-family: ‘Open Sans’; font-size: 16px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: 22.4px; orphans: 2; text-align: left; text-decoration: none; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px;”>Not all that</span>

I’ve addressed that next year by focussing on my performance being better, and not worrying about others/positions which will take care of themselves.  Year 2 of being coached will help as we now know how I should approach races, train, taper etc and can focus on the Marathons with that in mind.

ferrals
    Free Member

Sure. To answer you and theotherjonv, my “dark place” I refer to is my just being a little ansy about sitting about in the evenings, I don’t enjoy doing nothing.

I know that feeling!

I tned to do a lot more stretching in the winter, good for you, relaxing and takes time.

weeksy

I can’t even find the enthusiasm to race in 2018 again, let alone plan for 2019. There’s a Gorrick coming up in Nov and i’m riding plenty, my fitness is good, but nah, just not there.

shortcut

I’m riding/racing some cool events again next year but still have La Tramun and RedBull timelaps to do this year.

training shall be ‘unstructured’ with some intent to  be faster willl less injury and better endurance.

diet shall be ‘trying’

fun shall be ‘high’

events shall be ‘epic’ Algarve Bike Challenge, BCBR and Pisgah Stage Race are booked.

padkinson
    Free Member

I’m riding/racing some cool events again next year but still have La Tramun and RedBull timelaps to do this year.

Same! My off season has ended up with racing nearly every weekend, with lots of CX, La Tramun, uni hill climb champs and Timelaps.

I’m not doing that much riding in between though. Instead I’m getting the gym work to be a part of my routine before introducing anything hard on the bike back in. I’ve also gotten slightly into running, with the worrying outcome of entering a duathlon in November 😳

Next year I’d like to get out to even more euro marathon races. MB race, Alps bike festival, Roc Laissagais, possibly Beskidy, BeMC are the ones that spring to mind, but there’s loads more. I might be doing the Lanzarote stage race again in January, exam timetable permitting. British marathon champs are a definite, and I’ll probably end up doing all the national XC series too. Should probably have a crack at defending my regional title too. I’m tired just typing that lot, god knows how I’ll feel in September next year.

Yak

Ummm, well I will race some xc I think. Training? It’s more a case of not being unwell or injured mostly.So open in Southerns and vet in Gorricks.  I’ll aim for the Brass Monkeys too as they are good length winter races on decent courses, although as ever I doubt I will make the whole series. Other than that, some team endurance races as they are always fun and social. I ‘might’ dig out the singlespeed for the winter stuff too.

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

I’m trying to think of a race or series to inspire me next season. Something not to long (I prefer xc to marathon), with massive climbs and technical descents. Is there anything like that in the UK?

mcvittees
    Free Member

Interesting thoughts being shared here.

I came in to the start of last season (my second doing XCO) as strong as I’ve ever been: 4w/kg and a ‘real’ ftp of almost 300w. Was counting my calories and hitting the workouts to schedule.  But by March the wife going back to work and my little boy waking 2-3 times a night broke me.  Did not have the mental strength or the time to fit in consistent training, so I sacked it off and just kept a base and did skills riding whenever I could.  This led up to a trip in Afan & BPW where I was able to ride all day and tackle trails with far more aplomb then ever before – now that was mountain biking!

Did the last two rounds of the Eastern MSG series with an eye to peaking for the killer Langdon Hills round, but got some sort of virus in the two weeks leading up to it and just got smashed on the day, massively underperforming – I couldn’t ride the full 7 laps, let alone try to ‘compete’.  So racing wise, 2018 ended up a damp squib.

Several things have become apparent to me. (1) there’s a load of guys who are much, much faster than me. Although I can improve (I’m mid 40s) I’m not going to get 10-20% faster, so unless those in front of me don’t turn up or have a really off day I need to happy with watching them vanish into the distance every race. (2) I like training. I like the structure and challenge of it. Its also easier to fit in to family life than going out for a ride!  (3) racing makes me stressed and takes up a lot of my thinking (without that actually helping), but I do enjoy being part of the scene. (4) If I’m going to accept my first point I really better start enjoying racing for sake of doing it (easier said than done it seems).  (4) I wish I lived nearer Afan, Surrey Hills or anywhere with steeper terrain.  (5) Wish I could do a wheelie and clear a tabletop. 🙂

I’ve started ‘training’ again but don’t really have a plan as such. Lots of sweet spot whenever I can then more VO2 stuff next year.  With 8 hours a week to ride I don’t think one can really do much in the way of TSS building, tapering and peaking – its more just keeping fitness up over the year and not getting burned out from doing too much riding above threshold.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Brass Monkey 1&2.

La Santa 4 day race.

Gorrick 100.

Pivot 24/12 in a 4 man team.

Big Dog in a 2 man team.

Torq in your sleep in a 2 man team.

That’s the plan anyway!

windyg
    Free Member

Lanzarote La Santa marathon 4 day race Jan  already booked.

Possibly Sunshine cup, Cyprus

MSG Eastern and Central

British Nationals

Big Dog

Might consider a race in Poland or the Alps

Kryton57

Lanzarote La Santa marathon 4 day race Jan

Oh, now hang on….

windyg
    Free Member

Kryton go for it, might well suit you, we have a team of 5 possibly 6 going, will be a real brutal 4 days though.

ferrals
    Free Member

Some of the nationals for facebook courtesy of the midalnds xc series page…

Time to get planning! Some 2019 National <span class=”highlightNode”>XC Series</span> dates have sneaked onto the UCI calendar…
    24th March – Sherwood
    14th April – Hadleigh
    12th May – Dalby
    21st July – National Champs at Cannock

Kryton57

Kryton go for it,

I’m thinking 2020, I want to see if this plan to focus on 4-12hr events works for me in 2019.  I had a look at the video, its looks pretty awesome!

24th March – Sherwood
    14th April – Hadleigh

Those are tempting – the Hadleigh round is likely to be managed by the MSG crew I’d guess so won’t clash with their Regionals.

Kryton57

Still in off season luckily, I’ve been blighted with a proper stomach virus with proper none/some energy levels and spending most of my time in the smallest room and of course am unable to ride.   This has though turned out to be a godsend in various ways;

a) I’ve finally discovered Rest.  I’ve had some tough times at work recently and have been unable to ride or even think “slowly”, but 3 days of being housebound, reading books and watching telly has finally slowed me down.  Today I’m feeling oddly refreshed at not having to rush around a weekend schedule, and with 8+ hrs sleep a night.

b) I’ve watched a few Trainerroad blogs.  These of course have been useful education or affirmation re training, racing, weight and nutrition strategy’s.  Thanks to rollingdonut for suggesting this.

c) I’ve lost 2 excess KG’s doing sod all 🙂

d) The MSG dates were released, so I’ve planned my 2019 race season.  Generally a positive it looks as though I’ll be not be racing for “league” position as I have too many work trips / Hols clashing with race dates to be consistent, so with a plan anyway for XCO to be B races, I’ll be treating them individually as tune ups/race intensity sessions.   This means I can bring more risk and play with my intensity during the races a bit.  Nationals seem to clashes with Marathons which are A races, shame.

I have a huge gap between July’s Scott Marathon & The Pivot 12hr with no XCO in between so I’ve decide to add the 12hr as an A race as well, as I’ll have the best part of 6 weeks to train/taper specifically for it.

Every cloud etc…

molgrips
    Free Member

This might be the year I enter something.

I gave up in about 2011 ish because it was pretty pointless spending a weekend just to get endless 25/100 finishes.  I decided to come back when I was fit enough to mount a decent challenge to the top 10%.

Last year I did a bit of periodisation – all summer I gave up dieting and aimed for high intensity, which according to Strava really worked.  So this winter it’s all about losing weight and I’ll see what happens next year.

j2b2
    Free Member

Kryton – could you post a few links to those Trainerroad blogs you found useful? Sound interesting.

stylish
    Free Member

First full Thetford Winter Series for me since 2015, all down to a combination of post injury recovery, being a tart and falling out of love with xc racing, and really looking forward to it now.

2019, will do a couple of MSG Eastern Races, to dust off the Xc bug, a 6 Hour Solo somewhere, and hopefully if they want me Commisaire Nationals again and some regional stuff, other than that im going to ride my bike and enjoy it…

Not sure I can get away with a new bike though….

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Sherwood, might do that one, pretty local, cannot be as bad as the absolute shitfest that was 2015 which was the last time i raced apart from the LBS summer series one round

would like to do a 6 or a 12 somewhere, need to have a look whats about circa 100 miles from Lincolnshire, cannot camp with the tribe so needs to be early start/early finish really

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

Really excited the national series will be visiting Hadleigh again. It’s a fantastic venue. Looks like the National series is the one for me this year as I really want to race at Dalby and Cannock as well.

Does anyone know where the Nat marathon champs will be this year?

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

Had a look at the MSG Facebook page and they have a national mentioned for end June, venue tbc. Therefore we could deduce it might be at Phoenix. Good year for the southerners but I do hope it goes to Glentress as well as I’ve heard very good things about that course.

mcvittees
    Free Member

I’m hoping Langdon Hills is going to be one of the mid-year unannounced MSG venues – I think its a cracking course, i.e. it has lots of elevation changes, and I have unfinished business with it!

Kryton57

Therefore we could deduce it might be at Phoenix

I think that’ll be contraversial, not everyone thought it was up to par this year.  But…

I’m hoping Langdon Hills is going to be one of the mid-year unannounced MSG venues

Could prove to be a sickeningly good challenge.

mccraque

I’m finding it harder and harder to justify a chunk of a day out of the house to race, despite having a very understanding wife.

I will certainly be trying to do the Brass Monkeys series.

Brighton Big Dog

I want to have a dabble at a round or two of the Scott Marathon Series.

If there are a few events that pop up, I may be spontaneous and have a dabble.

ernie

At the start of September I was getting keen to start planning my training blocks to Xmas, I was quite keen on a decent Autumn training block. Then I slipped a disc (swimming with my daughter  ffs); on the plus physio is working well and thanks to private health insurance I am seeing a consultant next week ref possible mri.  I’m also able to ride on the turbo again, the downer is tbis has highlighted another issue: elevated heart rate and lack of power. It seems that it now requires my ticky ticker to work at 155bpm to put out 250w and after 40min I’m mega f@#ked! My ftp normally/used to/never will be again 375.  Somethings up and I don’t know what. I’m thinking another trip to the GP is in order to begin trying to explain the symptoms and give suggestions other than ‘rest’. Until this is sorted racing off.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I want to see some XC bikes please

Kryton57

Well, a call with my coach and thats that done.  We have an LT threshold and W/kg target, and am definitely aiming for Marathons as A races.

With last years knowledge he reckons we can make good gains this year so I’m remaining in reverse periodisation but bringing endurance in earlier in the year.  As I predicted/wanted, I’m also working on:

Core strength

Mental attitude

Technical

I’m using XCO for intensity / race sim / building lactic recovery near the end of training blocks with minimum taper so I’m telling you all now I’m racing XCO tired and without expectation so you don’t judge me if I’m shit in those  😀

Training starts next week, I’m actually looking forward to it.

ferrals
    Free Member

National series released: BC article

I’ll be doing Allt Dell but no others. Allt Dell is a great course, been a welsh series course a few years. Parking/ the arena might be a bit tight but the course will be great… especially if you like climbing!

Betamax
    Free Member

Nothing on the XCM National Champs as yet. Anyone know anything?

windyg
    Free Member

Bonus for me Thickthorn for the Nationals is 15mins from my house the rest are hours away

Kryton57

Nothing on the XCM National Champs as yet. Anyone know anything?

Also interested – if its in July again I may defer to this rather than Pivot 24/12.

stylish
    Free Member

Had an invite for a walk/look round the Thickthorn National Venue last night, only 10 minutes from home for me, so hopefully it will be on my National Appointments list next year as Commisaire.

Having a small knowledge of the are, it will be rolling and fast, along the lines of Henham if you’ve been there for MSG events.

First Winter Series Round went ok, apart from a bit of cramp towards the end, which im putting down to no rest on Saturday as id been on my feet all day at a careers day with my son.

Kryton57

Blanks filled in for the locations of the MSG Eastern races:

Sunday 24th February – Hadleigh Park
    Sunday 17th March – Henham Park
    Sunday 7th April – Lee Valley Velopark
    Sunday 5th May – Carver Barracks
    Sunday 2nd June – Thickthorn, Norwich
    Sunday 7th July – Hintlesham
    Sunday 18th August – Radical Bikes
    Sunday 1st September – Phoenix Cycleworks
    13th & 14th April – HSBC UK | National Cross-country Series Round 2 – Hadleigh Park
    29th & 30th June – HSBC UK | National Cross-country Series Round 5 – Thickthorn, Norwich

jonba
    Free Member

Anyone racing in the North East? Been converted to Road/TT and CX for the last few years but fancy getting back to mountain biking. Seen a good number of events at Kielder but no a lot else?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 365 total)

The topic ‘The 2019 XC Racing thread.’ is closed to new replies.