The 2019 XC Racing thread.

Viewing 17 posts - 281 through 297 (of 297 total)
  • The 2019 XC Racing thread.
  • Premier Icon mick_r
    Subscriber

Yeah Midweek is a great little series, and perfect weather started it with a bang.

Not sure if I was particularly sensible riding a just finished (brazed the last bit on Saturday) singlespeed. 32:19 was way too low for all the flat but at least I could still clean the climbs at the end. But the bike handles and fits perfectly so it will be a quick ride at weekend (if dry) and then strip and powder coat before Haigh. Possibly first singlespeed and probably a few places down on usual suspects due to silly gear choice.

Most impressed that the local youth pronounced the new bike was cool – raw steel must be hip in Bolton (better tell Sick).

Tom was 5th and 1st junior (yes he lapped me). Jake 4th and Alison 3rd.

We are starting to enter things more selectively as costs for 4 people are just getting silly. MWM definitely has the right balance.

ferrals

At national rounds is it still saturday practise starts at 1230?

steve_b77

@mick_r

Tom was 5th and 1st junior (yes he lapped me). Jake 4th and Alison 3rd.

Have you seen the results or was that just counting on the day? Good results all round for the family then.

Can’t you just clear coat the bike, the frame looked pretty good raw.

I know what you mean about costs, thankfully my 2 re still little so it’s max £8 each at the moment.

Premier Icon mick_r
    Subscriber

Haven’t seen any results. Was just what we knew from counting / podium / just off podium etc. Hence no idea where I was apart from behind the kids and just ahead of Mrs 🙂

The last BC entry was 3 people for Cannock, 4 at MWM and 2 at Crank-it which came to over £200! And we’re lucky where a bit comes back in prize money…..

Had a lot of people saying just to clearcoat it but not very durable. I’ve also got 1kg of Unimog orange powder to use up. It also hides some of my brazing from the critics…..

Premier Icon mcvittees
    Subscriber

@twowheels: Yes that’s the nice thing about doing a weekly race, you start to really dial in your riding through the twisty stuff and your fitness just grows. I was happy with my result – good start and a bit of luck at the end when a rider who passed me punctured right before the line. Proves it’s always worth pushing right to the end so you can take advantage of opportunities like that.

steve_b77

Little update on the last two races, Manchester Mid-Week Madness at Leverhulme Park was a total 70 minute thrash ‘fest with dusty dry trails and much fun all round, in Men’s Racer cat (think Elite, Expert, Sport & Vet all thrown in together) I managed 21st – top 3 were Elite, so pretty happy with that.

Moving on to the first round Welsh national XC Series at Llandegla last Sunday, the course was bloody brutal, nigh on 200m of climbing per 4.8km lap with most of it in one go up a path that averaged over 12% and had peaks of 29% in it!! Throw in bits of the Red, Blue, Green and some seriously loose & loamy off-piste to an A-Line that I wouldn’t ever attempt – but a few did, it made for an excellent race. It got quite strung out early on, but I managed to come home with a very respectable (in my book anyway) 13th position in Vets smack bang in mid-pack, and I know I couldn’t have gone any harder on that course.

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

Keep the reports coming, more pics needed 🙂

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

If i wasn’t logged on via works VPN which blocks Instagram i may be able to tell you 🙂

steve_b77

Gave up as I can’t embed the link / share the post for some reason

Premier Icon Kryton57
    Subscriber

Well, I think I now know whats wrong with me.

But, nevertheless a weekend spent with Norovirus has lead to much thinking time, which in turn has led to… less thinking time 😀

I’ve decided to knock expectation and results on the head and apply little measurable yet unimportant goals to my races and just enjoy the fact that I’m able to attend.  Its nearly mid year and I need to actually enjoy some MTBing.

So during tomorrows Beastway, I have an identified nemesis to keep up with but won’t be disappointed if he drops me, and in Llandovery I’m not going to give a toss about time or position but I’m riding the climbs to HR or feel in replacement of watts (I don’t have an MTB PM) and enjoying every piece of flat/down single track in a speedy manner.

I might even have a beer at the campsite Saturday night – whoop! (Just one, of course).

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

That sounds like the best post you’ve made in about 3 years. Sorry if that sounds harsh, but i do sit and shake my head at times reading your posts and thinking to myself “This bloke just needs to have some fun riding …” It does seem at times like you do it out of a sense of something other than enjoyment. Which honestly saddens me.. So if you can do that, then i’m all for it 🙂 Nice one.

Premier Icon Kryton57
    Subscriber

“This bloke just needs to have some fun riding …”

I do, a lot (albeit not in the last month).  Like I said before, I’m like watching the News, I rarely writeup anything good. 🙂 This extends beyond Cycling 😀

sense of something other than enjoyment.

Racing & competition?  But I get your point.  A recent image of the most miserable looking bloke in a race kind of brought this home a bit.

Anyway, I’m moving on!

It sounds like there’s been some great racing – anyone attend the SWXC race, from what I’ve heard the course was cool?

We had a wicked time down in the New Forest with the SouthernXC and Dirty Hot Lap Time Trial. The weather gods were on our side (until the last couple of laps for the day). Everyone was super positive about the course and very kind in their feedback – thank you!

If your looking for photos there is a great album by Kevin Sheldrake linked below
    https://www.kevinsheldrakephotography.com/Cycle-Races/Southern-XC-2019-R3/

munrobiker

Anyone Glentress 7’ing this weekend? I’m signed up in Mixed Pairs but will be going for a bit of a jolly (it’s probably my last race of the season, unless I can haul a quad together for Relentless). My teammate’s boyfriend signed up solo and she was going to support – I suggested we both support but also race our bikes. Expecting nothing from it, I’ve already satisfactorily proved to myself I can race bikes this year.

trail_rat

Munrobiker.

Relentless – as discussed at 10utb

Keep me on the back burner for relentless

We will see how jnr and mum are after the dust settles.

I might even be able to rustle up some gears And suspenders suspension

munrobiker

trail_rat – I have you in mind 😉

Viewing 17 posts - 281 through 297 (of 297 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.