Home Forums Bike Forum Terreno Dry – are they meant to be this tight?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Terreno Dry – are they meant to be this tight?
    PJay
    Free Member

I’ve bought a pair of Terreno Dry tyres for the gravel bike (folding bead). I had the Terreno XCs on my MTB & they were a doddle to fit.

It’s taken me about 30 minutes to get the first Dry on its DT Swiss G1800 rim; even the first bead was near impossible. I was seriously concerned about damaging the rim & tape or shattering the tyre lever. I can’t imagine they’ll seat!

Are they meant to be this tight or is it just a troublesome combination? I imagine I’ll need to cut them off if they need to be removed.

Any tips?

The previous Maxxis Receptors go on & off with thumbs.

sillyoldman

Got mine on DT CR1400s and they’re fine if you drop the bead into the rim well.

goldfish24

^yeah that’s the tip I’d give. To elaborate:

Once you have a tyre 3/4 the way on the rim, you’re left with 1/4 to push over the rim. You with me?

so now go work on the opposite side to that final 1/4 you’ve been focussed on – get the bead dropped into the well in the centre of the rim and work the slack back around the wheel until you reach that final 1/4 and hopefully push it over with thumbs.

dt Swiss g540’s and Terreno dry 700x38c haven’t been an issue here.

PJay
    Free Member

I’ll give that a go. Thanks.

dyna-ti

I find giving the bead a wash over with some soapy water also helps. Thing about rubber is it is sticky, so tends to not slip over the rim as easily as you would want. As in many things, a bit of lube works wonders.

Thing also is once its been on once, it seems to stretch a little(may not be true but…)

I’ve really struggled to fit a tyre, then when finally got it to whoops of delight, i inflate(innertube user) and than have this delight smashed against the rocks when i find ive pinched the tube. But removing and refitting with a new tube i find is easier the 2nd time around.

slugabed

I have fitted one on a WTB frequency i19 team rim. It’s easily the tightest tyre I’ve ever fitted, putting the bead in the rim well helped but it still needed a lot of levering.

The clement xplor that it replaced pretty much fell off.

PJay
    Free Member

Well, I won’t say that the 2nd tyre was easy, but it went on much more quickly. Both tyres inflated and seated fully first go, which surprised me.

My worst tyre experience were some WTB Riddlers on Hope rims. B@astard tight and wouldn’t seat. In the end they went to the LBS who sprayed the beads liberally with GT85 & still had to pump both up to over 100psi to finally get them to seat!

MoreCashThanDash

Not had any problems getting the Mix and Wet versions onto WTB rims.

Agree Riddlers were the hardest I’ve tried, also ended up at the LBS.

tall_martin

I bought a cheap pair in 35c. Only the second tire I e eber failed to fit. They would Not go on gravel rims . At all.

I tried them on a MTB rim- they ripped the rim tape off. I’ve done that carelessly with levers, but not a tire while taking great care.

They felt very fast compared to 50c gravel king, but I comutte on the bike and it took 3 levers together it on. I don’t fancy trying to fix a puncture on a wet January morning while being g late for work with them.

Glad it’s not just me

I had a 2.3 riddler. That was no trouble at All.

doris5000
    Free Member

I’ve really struggled to fit a tyre, then when finally got it to whoops of delight, i inflate(innertube user) and than have this delight smashed against the rocks when i find ive pinched the tube

I’ve had this with my Terreno Zero! Add to that the extra despair caused by Chronic fatigue that means wrestling it onto the wheel is such an ordeal that you now have to wait til tomorrow to have another go…

13thfloormonk

No issues with mine on Pacenti and Kinlin rims.

For an easy life installing them tubeless I tend to inflate and seat with an inner tube first, but actually getting them on and off rims is a tool free job unless I’m being lazy.

Sounds like bad luck with the rim and tyre combo, hopefully they’ll slacken off with use.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.