Home Forums Bike Forum Tektro Gemini 4-pots

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Tektro Gemini 4-pots
  • matt_outandabout

Mrs_oab’s crash at the weekend was down to a failing Altus  level disc brake… Her brakes are old and struggling, even a good bleed and fresh pads isn’t great for power for some reason.

Silly cheap at the moment.

Are they any good? Google shows a few folk positive as long as you’re not riding Megavalanche and / or weight 18 stone…

Use will be an 8st gentle, smooth rider, who occasionally wanders down red route level trails while alternating between squeals of delight and fear….

reeksy

Reeksy1 runs these on his Polygon and they seem good enough for his 55kg racing enduro.

jkomo

Matt, see what Magura MT5’s are these days. Beware though you really need to hold on when you hit the brakes, they are very powerful. Loads of modulation though.
    Or these…
    2 pot 4 pot combo MT Trail
    https://amzn.eu/d/hCyNNVC

a11y

Also from the Tektro stable, these would be a worthy replacement: TRP Slate EVO

I bought a set for my trail bike early this year when Merlin had them cheap. Bought a second set for my Geometron and they’re stopping my 90kg+ well. Nice lever feel, more progressive than Shimanos that I had before. I bought from that link/seller on eBay above, around £100 all-in for the pair. Ideally you’d want the 2.3mm rotors but they’ll work OK with something more common like 2mm thick SRAM or Magura rotors. Unsure about standard Shimano 1.8mm rotor compatability but there was a thread on here about Slate EVOs I think.

2024-09-15 Geometron G1 first build 00016

dirkpitt74

Daughter has the Tektro Orion 4pot on her DH bike.

Seem to work well, only issue I had was bleeding – had to cut down a bleed block to slightly over-fill to get a decent lever feel.

ajantom

They are good, very good in fact. I fitted some to my Stooge as a stop-gap, and have just left them on.

Basically a cheaper version of the TRP Slate Evos I have on another bike.

Issues on the set I had from Merlin:

– hoses were set up Euro style so needed swapping.

– front hose was too short, so needed swapping out for a longer hose and bleeding.

– levers are old style clamps, so annoying to change.

matt_outandabout

Issues on the set I had from Merlin:

– hoses were set up Euro style so needed swapping.

– front hose was too short, so needed swapping out for a longer hose and bleeding.

– levers are old style clamps, so annoying to change.

I can cope with them, apart from front hose length. Thankfully mrs_oab is on skinny bars, low stack and 120mm forks so they may work.

I agree the Maguras would be nicer – but they are £90 vs £50+cashback…hmmm
    Edit: those Magura’s have a lead time in months. What dodgy place is selling them?

matt_outandabout

Ideally you’d want the 2.3mm rotors but they’ll work OK with something more common like 2mm thick SRAM or Magura rotors.

They are £65 with Magura rotors included :-)

a11y

They are £65 with Magura rotors included :-)

Cos Mrs MOAAB is worth it! ;-)

Edit: TBF that’s a brilliant price, especially including rotors.

jkomo

Yeah didn’t spot the 3-7 months delivery. Glad I’m not drunk with a twitchy trigger finger.

matt_outandabout

Tektro’s ordered.

I’ll update when they are on and working.

afrothunder88

Ah slightly too late but I wouldn’t recommend them. They use a tektro specific bleed kit, by the time I’d bought that and the £30 replacement hose they were no longer quite so cheap.

They also don’t come with mounting adapters thought you maybe already have those.

the adapters I have mean the caliper sits slightly proud of the rotor meaning not all the pad is engaging it. The feel isn’t great, they’re  a lot weedier than 2 pot SLXs and despite bleeding three time I still have air somewhere in the line.

reeksy

Ah slightly too late but I wouldn’t recommend them. They use a tektro specific bleed kit,

That’s why I have a cheap kit with a dozen different adaptors.

ajantom

Ah slightly too late but I wouldn’t recommend them. They use a tektro specific bleed kit, by the time I’d bought that and the £30 replacement hose they were no longer quite so cheap.

Nope standard bleed kit from Amazon/eBay.

I used hose from an old, leaky calipered Shimano brakeset :-)

They take all the same hoses, olive and fittings as Shimano brakes.

They also don’t come with mounting adapters

Mine did – though it came with 203mm Tektro discs, so the adaptors were for those.

I used 180mm discs, and had spare 180mm adaptors.

the adapters I have mean the caliper sits slightly proud of the rotor meaning not all the pad is engaging it.

You have the wrong adaptors for your disc size then!

The feel isn’t great, they’re a lot weedier than 2 pot SLXs and despite bleeding three time I still have air somewhere in the line

Totally disagree. They’re as powerful as the TRP Slate Evos imo. Good modulation, and very comfy levers.

You need to bleed them properly! Top down method, with cup at the top and syringe at the bottom.

jkomo

Tried and tested system- upgrade your brakes, give Mrs MOAA your old ones, everyone wins.

matt_outandabout

I too have a ‘multitude of fittings’ cheap bleed kit,

The bike has adaptors and I’ve got spare,

It’s a tiny bike with narrow bars, low stack and short forks, and I’ve measured the front hose at 800mm…

Powah, we will see.

Mrs_oab tried my new MT5’s and sons xt 4-pots this weekend. Both led to near OTB crashes in the car park… ?

matt_outandabout

They’re on.. Not bedded in yet, but pulling well. I’m impressed.

Usual putting them on process. Front attached, set up Euro. Rear caliper and lever disconnected. Swap cable over and trim them. My front cable was short, but with skinny bars, small headtube and short forks it was still too long.

They’re neatly made, compact caliper, slightly chunky reservoir on the levers. Levers feel nice. Longer than Shimano but shorter than Magura. Nice dimples on the lever for grip.

Middling pull, and not the Shimano sharpness of bite, but they are stronger in bite than Magura. Should get them out on trail tomorrow so I will update in use thoughts.

PXL_20240927_181309770PXL_20240927_181408042PXL_20240927_191338087

matt_outandabout

PXL_20240927_181216633PXL_20240927_181221038PXL_20240927_181204459

larrydavid
    Free Member

But late to offer advice but another review if anyone is interested:

They can on my Whyte 529. I find them entirely adequate, not exciting or remarkable, not grabby or sharp,  consistent, feel quite linear, not mega powerful but plenty to stop, not amazing feel but enough. Quite a boring brake really! The dimpled leavers are nice.  Seem quite heavy but I’d get another pair if in the market for good value stoppers.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

I haven’t yet found a cheap source for the 5mm thick pads.

ajantom

You can use standard 4mm pads (they use sane as Trp slate, Saint, etc.)

matt_outandabout

Ke?

Mine came with chunky boi Magura Storm rotors.

ajantom

@matt_outandabout – the brakes come fitted with 5mm rather than 4mm pads. I assume for longevity? The originals lasted for ages on mine!

Anyway, they are the same size as Saint, etc. pads, and 4mm works fine

matt_outandabout

Indeed that’s one of the reasons I bought them – I’ve two sets of pads still…

jkomo

They look great.

reeksy

Quite a boring brake really!

I’ll take that as a good thing for a brakes!

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.