Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 603 total)
  • tattoo yes or no ? lol
  • hora
    Free Member

Everyones allowed an opinion, mine is that I really don't like them and from experience the sort of people who had them tended to come from the rougher parts of Huddersfield where I grew up.

It is personal choice but if my view of them is its 'common' then so what? People smoking also looks common (slightly simple) to me.

nickc

Everyones allowed an opinion

This is true, most people though have a filter betwixt brain and mouth that stops them from making a tit of themselves rather than saying (typing) the first thing that pops into their brains.

you need to plug yours back in.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Indeed. Coming from the proud owner of a pair of cowboy boots… 😉

hora
    Free Member

Coming from the proud owner of a pair of cowboy boots

One thing I will say about Tattoo's (oh you mean another thing) – you need an amazing body to pull them off. Slightly overweight or getting old just looks wrong.

monkey_boy
    Free Member

never got tatts, i just dont see the point in branding yourself then covering it up 99% of the time.

each to their own of course.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Ah. I've seen pictures of you. You've made good choices then. 🙂

hora
    Free Member

Ah. I've seen pictures of you. You've made good choices then

Exactly imagine me in the gym changing room. I'd look like dr zoidberg without his shell

clubber
    Free Member

One might say the same about cowboy boots, Hora.

Tattoos – Personal opinion – often look crap, tryhard, tacky and just not very aesthetic. But occassionally, on the right person and the right design they look spot on – fantastic even, sometimes. Only you can know which camp you'll fall into or at least you can hope you do 🙂

(I have no tats – I can't think of anything that wouldn't look crap and that I want permanently on me)

nickc

each to their own of course

Yes monkey boy, spot on, shame it's taken 5 pages to reach that conclusion, eh?

nickc

Exactly imagine me in the gym changing room

Mr Nutt to the thread please

BigDummy
    Free Member

Part of my brain is now imagining hora, naked except for his cowboy boots, looking as if he comes from the sophisticated, urbane end of Huddersfield. 😉

hora
    Free Member

Yes monkey boy, spot on, shame it's taken 5 pages to reach that conclusion

A few facts:
    1. This is STW
    2. Its cyclic. We discuss the exact same subjects monthly.

nickc

BD, thanks for sharing, no really….thanks

😕

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Exactly imagine me in the gym changing room

I'd much rather not 🙁

clubber
    Free Member

Seems a shame sfb – he's thinking of you in the same…

nickc

Hora and SFB sittin' in a tree, K-I-S-S-I-N-G

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Hora and SFB sittin' in a tree, K-I-S-S-I-N-G

nickc you have problems 🙁

hora
    Free Member

Kiss the Rivington Yeti? 😯

clubber
    Free Member

Arguably since Hora is letching on you SFB, not as bad problems as you have… :mrgreen:

nickc

I'll give you 50p?

hora
    Free Member

Pound and its hard man-action with the cowboy boots

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

not as bad problems as you have

hora is all talk and no trousers … (??)

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

I heard a great anecdote about a particularly gobby sailor in the United States Navy who got wasted during a run ashore in Pompey.

He was loudly decrying all things British, banging on about his 'Irish' roots in that way that many members of the Ginger-American community are so fond of and generally hacking everyone off.

A group of Royal Marines 'befriended' him and took him to some more pubs before depositing him at a tattoo parlour. He woke up to find a Union Flag covering much of his upper torso and the legend 'RULE BRITANNIA'.

clubber
    Free Member

I heard that one too – urban myth 🙂 Good story though…

elaineanne
    Free Member

philconsequence ::: if you hide your tattoos then why have them in the first place- it sounds like your afraid of then ? ???? ie : for work ……

ive always wanted a lizard… i used to be a climber (literally)…so i fancied a climbing lizardy thing…. and other stuff thats related to my life made me want to 'climb the ladder' to new horizons'….
    its not like i want a massive tattoo like i said 3 inch lengh maybe climbing off with a leaf/twig with perhaps a little flower/butterfly or sommet…
    i just dont get it why its still ok for fellas to have tattoos and its ok but women….a different story… but if you have a story to go with tattoo then its a personalized thing for yourself…..
    anyway if i go ahead with it i will make sure a go to a decent tattooist… how about LA Ink (lol) 😉

Kevevs
    Free Member

lol. This thread's gone a bit wrong.

elaine anne – Member
    if you hide your tattoos then why have them in the first place

Because some people have them because they like them, not because they want other people to like them.

Lurchenstien
    Free Member

nickf –

For all those tattooed folk out there who say that they're proud of the work, and that a negative reaction to tattoos is simple prejudice, why is it so rare to see facial tattoos? Surely if you're proud enough to have them on an arm,/leg/whatever, why not have it on your face, so that everyone can see it all the time? Genuine question this one – I'm guessing it's because there's still a huge amount of anti-tattoo feeling, but I'd be interested to know if there are other reasons.

I'd say it's to do with employment as much as societies stance on tattoo's, how many jobs would it be acceptable to have a tattoo on one's face? I know of people who work in pet shops that are told to cover up the tattoo's on their arms, and a previous employer told me to cover up a tattoo on the back of my head, so a facial tattoo would likely not get someone a "normal" job. I can see that an employer may think tattoo's don't look nice / don't fit the companies image, but tattoo's don't say much about a person or their ability to do tasks, and would the employer refuse a tattooed client?

I'm working on getting into a line of work where tattoo's / body mods are widely accepted. Once I get there, there's probably nowhere I wouldn't get tattooed as long as I could find / come up with a design I liked.

philconsequence
    Free Member

🙂 hi elaine,

they're only hidden when i go to certain meetings, in my normal day at work my right arm will be on show, as will some of my chest, in the summer then most of my right leg will be on show whenever i can get away with shorts.

work is a small element of my life, but it pays the bills and there are certain times in my work where i'm the only one under 30 in a room full of important people… who would assume im a psychiatric patient if it wasnt for the fact i was was introduced as otherwise.

in that setting i'm already being judged for my age and presumed lack of experience, so its 50% giving them less ammo when i know i need everyone on my side with certain decisions, and the other 50% is if theyre all in suits then i'm kidna expected to be too.. just so happens that long sleeve shirt and trousers will cover pretty much all my ink 🙂

hope that helps explain it 🙂

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Personally, if you think your body can be improved with some sort of hackneyed clipart, you must have a pretty low opinion of yourself.

You might *think* you're being original, but you're just a sheep. Just because all the famous chavs like Beckham, Cheryl Cole et al have them, you think that some of their charisma and celebrity will rub off.

As for a lizard, I mean for Christ's sake! Wake up! Why don't you have some stars on the heel of your hand or behind your ear to go with it! I can't think of anything less original! It's just another 'fad tat' like Chinese letters, barbed wire, celtic bands or Mauri tribal shite.

I met a girl who had her ex's name "Dale" etched in 6-inch high copperplate script across the small of her back. When I suggested that she could have it changed to "I Love the Yorkshire Dales" she replied "Who are the Yorkshire Dales?", which just about sums up the mentality of people with tattoos!

I'd never date someone with tats, although I've slept with enough to have formed strong opinions on the subject.

Women with tats take it up the wrong un… Fact!

hora
    Free Member

Slightly OT- the lad who 'allegedly' misspelt Beckhams tattoo. A lad worked for us once and he had a roman numeral tattoo on his forarm of his sons date of birth (the Same tattoist who did Beckhams) and there was some correction work- white ink used. Oh the irony :mrgreen:

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

Just want to say I agree with philconsequence – I have to cover my tattoos up for work (I'm a charge nurse on a psychiatric unit), to comply with the trusts clothing / appearance policy, but I dont see it as any sort of problem. To me, tattoos arent that big a deal, I like mine, but dont expect others to share my feelings about them. As has been made abundantly clear on this thread, other people will judge you because of them, and you're not going to change that. Bottom line is, I suppose, if you want one, get it done. Ah well, back to my common / poor existence 😉

hora
    Free Member

🙄 😆 I'd better be careful….one day you could be looking after me GULP

hora
    Free Member

🙄 😆 I'd better be careful….one day you could be looking after me GULP!

Shibboleth
    Free Member

I would certainly never employ anyone with visible tattoos. It's a judgement issue – if they're stupid enough to deface themselves, they're not sensible enough to work for me.

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

Yes hora, just picture the scene. "Bend over BillyRay, this isnt going to hurt (me)".

hora
    Free Member

EEK 😯

As long as I have just my cowboy boots on I'll be ok 8)

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

elaine, i know the same amount of blokes and women who have tattoos – i don't think its better accepted if you are male rather than female – its all about people's own views/judgements and the person with the tatt.

I ended up with a half sleeve (having planned to go for a very small one) and it can therefore be seen a lot of the time. Not long after i had mine done, i was in a cafe where a bunch of old ladies gave me dirty looks/judgemental/like i was going to mug them – if they hadn't been able to see my tattoo, they'd not have looked twice at me.

My physio has two, and his employeers have told him to always wear a long sleeve top – some old 'rule' that goes back to the time when the only people to have tatts were convicts etc, so if something like that still exists, its no wonder people don't get face/neck/hands done.

As an aside, if you've had henna and liked it, you probably won't regret a tatt – i had henna almost every summer for 10 years before getting mine done. I'll still get henna even though i have a proper tatt.

Anyway, everyone is different and that's what makes life so interesting. Wouldn't it be boring if we were all non tattoo'd, identical people with the same views?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Wouldn't it be boring if we were all non tattoo'd, identical people with the same views?

but in fact many non tattooed people are different in ways not necessarily visible at first glance

hora
    Free Member

Well you are far hairier than Chewbacca so it'd be difficult finding anywhere to put a tattoo on you 😆

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 603 total)

The topic ‘tattoo yes or no ? lol’ is closed to new replies.