Viewing 40 posts - 561 through 600 (of 603 total)
  • tattoo yes or no ? lol
  • deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Jesus Christ.

molgrips
    Free Member

I don't think intellectual means the same as intelligent.

And you are really splitting hairs. I made it absolutely clear that I do not judge people to be unintelligent based on what they look like about a million times. So if you think my choice of the word 'low brow' means that I've been lying all along because I live in some kind of argumentative fantasy world where I just want to spew nonsense at everyone for some kind of gratification, then you're a weirdo.

Far more likely that we just differ on interpretation of the term, don't you think?

Would it help if I re-posted the sentence without the term low-brow in it?

molgrips
    Free Member

Double post.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

You're right about one thing, there's certainly a communication issue here. But if you're going to continue using well known and established expressions but atribute a meaning other than their dictionary definition, we're always going to have problems.

Chase
    Free Member

If I was considering you for a job,

That's not going to happen though is it? Business can't be too good if you're on here arguing all afternoon 😉

theyEye
    Free Member

Come ON!
    Of course you judge people to be unintelligent based on their looks.
    Maybe not on the basis of tats in particular, but, at the risk of coming off like a total d*ck, let's have an extreme example —

mongolism: a congenital disorder caused by having an extra 21st chromosome; results in a flat face and short stature and mental retardation

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Kettle on, biscuits open, chair in 'recline' mode…

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I think that someone's looks are more indicative of their socio-economic background and education rather than intelligence.

iDave
    Free Member

I know some really smart Mongols – CEO of mining companies and head of a central bank and some beautiful Mongol models. Or do you mean people with downs syndrome? Have you got tattoos by any chance?

B_Leach
    Free Member

Kettle on, biscuits open, chair in 'recline' mode…

does that mean you're taking a break?
    Thank f***, this thread may finally die!

molgrips
    Free Member

You're right about one thing, there's certainly a communication issue here. But if you're going to continue using well known and established expressions but atribute a meaning other than their dictionary definition, we're always going to have problems

Right, so why don't we just try and figure out what each other is trying to say, instead of flying off the handle and raving about how idiotic everyone is?

I still don't think intellectual means the same as intelligent.

Like I say, I used to, but I don't any more. Takes a bit of effort to overcome your own prejudices.

I think that someone's looks are more indicative of their socio-economic background and education rather than intelligence

TSY has it, once again.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

TSY has it, once again.

Before you start high-fiving, I would judge a person's socio-economic background and education based on their tattoos. I wouldn't judge their actual IQ based on whether or not they have tattoos.

theyEye
    Free Member

Like I say, I used to, but I don't any more. Takes a bit of effort to overcome your own prejudices.

In the given example as well? Please.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I wouldn't judge their actual IQ based on whether or not they have tattoos.

So you and molgrips are in agreement then? You're not judging their IQ or their level of stupidity by their appearance, but their likely level of education.

High-fives all round then, woo-yeah!

theyEye
    Free Member

But of course they both do.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Their looks or their appearance?

Shibboleth
    Free Member

So you and molgrips are in agreement then? You're not judging their IQ or their level of stupidity by their appearance, but their likely level of education.

IQ and level of stoopidity aren't the same thing. I know singlespeeders and basejumpers with very high IQs… 😕

woffle
    Free Member

I would judge a person's socio-economic background and education based on their tattoos

I'd have thought this entire thread would be indicative of why this judgment is likely to be mistaken given the spread in popularity of tattooing / piercing etc.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Ahh so stoopidity is not a measure of intelligence but a subjective measure by which you personally judge others?

Much like, say, how I might label someone as an utter pr1ck? It doesn't actually mean they are one, it's just that their values are different to mine and I don't necessairly agree or approve of their choices or conduct?

I apologise if you set this definition out in one of your earlier posts.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

I apologise if you set this definition out in one of your earlier posts.

Apology accepted… I think I re-explained my thoughts on this 1 or 2 pages back to the village idiot. Go and have a look.

toys19
    Free Member

I cannot be arsed to read through this, and I may have possibly replied already as this topic seems to be pretty long running. In answer to the OP: NO.

molgrips
    Free Member

I wouldn't judge a person's education based on their appearance, not at all. I might judge their social background based on their appearance (probably wrongly), which may or may not include tattoos.

When I went to university there were a fair few people who looked like every day scrotes on my Physics course. So I do not believe there is a correlation between education or intelligence and appearance. The folks in question were indeed from lower income families in poor areas though. Now I'm not claiming to be correct in my judgements of course, and I certainly try hard not to act on them.

theEye – what do you mean?

iDave
    Free Member

quite often in business i find the scruffy buggers are the ones who are so successful and good at what they do that they can dress how they like. it's called self confidence with nothing to prove

donsimon
    Free Member

Now, this is where your lack of intelligence has got the better of you. The decision of whether or not to employ someone with tattoos is based on the fact that I KNOW a large sector of my potential client base will judge them unfavourably.

So you're in a particularly small market where you have the opportunity to know all your clients customers intimately, which is fine.

A larger proportion of the population are now getting tattoos, so I would imagine are your customers. Are you now saying that your opinion is not your opinion, but the opinion of your clients customers?

Could you also explain why you think having tattoos is stupid?
    Why riding a ss is stupid?
    Why basejumping is stupid?

Could you also clarify that the fund raising you did was an individual effort organised by you, or did you just participate in an event organised by someone else? Links please? I really don't want to think that you're a Walter Mitty as I'm starting to warm to your tenacity. 😆

You seem to move quite alot between tattoos being stupid in your opinion, which is fine and people with tattoos are stupid which is a bit narrow minded.

elaineanne
    Free Member

crikey i just been out riding (not long as i did the ride in record time, between all the mud n folth cow sh-t etc ….. and i come home to find another added 3 pages of pure mud n evil….. ahhahahahhah oh my god shibboleth and molegrips i think you need to get out and RIDE abit more ! 😉 😆 😈 :mrgreen:

molgrips
    Free Member

I do need to ride more, but I have this thing called work which tends to bring me down somewhat.

tron
    Free Member

Christ almighty. People view the world through a lense shaped by their past experiences. It's not a new concept.

Similarly, people tend to choose the familiar over the unknown.

If the customer has always had good business relationships in the past with female sumo wrestlers covered in Yakuza tattoos & wearing burberry, and you send a clean cut bloke in a shirt and suit, you're probably not going to get what you want. Regardless of whether the person you're dealing with is prejudiced or not, they're dealing with the unknown, which is uncomfortable. So they will choose the more comfortable option.

To me, getting a tattoo is placing yourself in an "out" group. The majority of people don't have them, so you're increasing the chance of being seen as an unknown quanity. Simple as that.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

but I have this thing called work

😯

Really? Seriously, I thought you'd been unemployed this past week.

molgrips
    Free Member

The majority of people don't have them

After going to the swimming pool in Cardiff, I'm not entirely sure that's true! 😯

I thought you'd been unemployed this past week.

Count yourselves lucky I'm not allowed to talk about work, otherwise you'd have more moaning off me than you could ever imagine.. I'd probably be banned just for moaning 🙂

Shibboleth
    Free Member

To me, getting a tattoo is placing yourself in an "out" group. The majority of people don't have them, so you're increasing the chance of being seen as an unknown quanity. Simple as that.

Very succinctly put, Tron.

And Moley, Cardiff is not an accurate cross section of the UK. I'd expect more tattoo wearers in that area due to a higher average incidence of unemployment and lower social standards.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Shibboleth, why are you so angry?

Shibboleth
    Free Member

I'm a lot of things PaddedBrain Elfinsafety, angry certainly isn't one of them.

Karinofnine

And Moley, Cardiff is not an accurate cross section of the UK. I'd expect more tattoo wearers in that area due to a higher average incidence of unemployment and lower social standards.

I must tell my Auntie that – she lives in Cardiff and will be delighted to have been pigeon-holed in such a way.

So, I come to you (Shibboleth) for an interview. It's winter so I am wearing trousers, shirt and a jacket. I pass all the tests with flying colours and you employ me. All your clients love my telephone manner, you never miss a meeting, your letters have never been typed so well, every scrap of paper is filed (in the right place) etc etc.

Six months later, it's summer. I come to work in a dress and jacket. It's quite warm in the afternoon so I take my jacket off. BLOODY HELL! TWO TATTOOS!

What are you going to do? Your clients love me and I can clearly do my job. For six months you held me in high regard, now, suddenly, according to your rating system, I am "stoopid".

soobalias
    Free Member

a dress? to work?

what do you think this is some sort of lefty liberal love in?
    sacked and barred.
    GET OUT!

iDave
    Free Member

he will dance around you in a circle, shouting 'stoopid, stoopid, you are stoopid'….

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Thankfully it would be within your trial period, so no redundancy. Kerching! 😉

Karinofnine

A six month trial period? Gosh, you must be a really bad judge of character to need such a long time.

Actually, I've been following this thread and I am, seriously now, dying to know what it is that you do. What is your business?

molgrips
    Free Member

I'm a lot of things Elfinsafety, angry certainly isn't one of them.

You do sound it tho mate, seriously… you may be suffering from some kind of forum tourettes.. 🙂

elaineanne
    Free Member

lol tourettes ! 😉
    anyone for a strong coffee ? excluding shibboleth..he can sit on the naughty chair today 😉 :mrgreen:

nobtwidler
    Free Member

As for the original question YES get a tattoo at the very least you won't ever have to work for shib!

Viewing 40 posts - 561 through 600 (of 603 total)

The topic ‘tattoo yes or no ? lol’ is closed to new replies.