Home Forums Chat Forum Susan Tully

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 86 total)
  • Susan Tully
  • squirrelking
    Free Member

I don’t know who she is never mind what she looks like now and certainly don’t need prompted on every sodding page. Honestly, it’s beginning to look like a click baity local paper now.

mrmoofo
    Free Member

I stood next to her in IKEA once …

I bet that has made your day

DezB
    Free Member

Susanne innit?
    I’ve seen that on loads of different sites. Funnily enough I don’t see it on this one.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Yup, that and invitations to click a link to look at a former soap actor who is apparently 36 which might be “heartbreaking”. It’s still better than ads for far-right merch sites.

rOcKeTdOg

Has anyone mentioned subscribing yet? 😉

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I keep getting ads for those shitingly pretentious backpacks that were on a PSA a few weeks back, didnae even click on the **** thing!

StuE
    Free Member

There’s ad’s

Blackflag
    Free Member

Ha, i always enjoy those “what she did next was amazing” type links. Never clicked on one though. I always feel it would leave me underwhelmed.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Has anyone mentioned subscribing yet?

No but I’m sure someone would mention the fact you get signed out when you move between devices if they did.

Spin
    Free Member

So the current Susan Tully as I’m seeing on this page says ‘Susan Tully used to be beautiful in the 80s, now it’s hard to look at her.’

Wrong on a number of levels.

I remember her from sex ed videos in school but it seems she’s now a successful TV director so good on her.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Those stupid ads that come up when you click a link for a thread and for some reason STW decides you clicked a link for an advert give me one of two things – horse riding lessons or erotic manga cartoon subscriptions.

Is there a way to stop just those interstitial adverts on mobile?

thegeneralist
    Free Member

I keep getting ads for those shitingly pretentious backpacks that were on a PSA a few weeks back, **** thing!

Me too.

And bloody Thrudork as well :-(

tthew

Is there a way to stop just those interstitial adverts on mobile?

Yeah, a really easy one. Costs about the same price as a pint of beer a month.

intheborders
    Free Member

It says more about you and your ‘habits’ than STW :-)

easily
    Free Member

Tell me more about the ‘ shitingly pretentious backpacks’.

FB-ATB

I remember her from sex ed videos

Are you not confusing her with Paula Ann Bland?

munrobiker
    Free Member

I’ve made my choice about what I do and don’t subscribe to each month, thanks. You have to draw the line somewhere, and for me STW is over that line.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

It’s like some paradoxical proverb though.

I am logged in, therefore I will be logged out.

erotic manga cartoon subscriptions.

I think that might just be you, I just get eurocarparts!

joebristol

I’ve made my choice about what I do and don’t subscribe to each month, thanks. You have to draw the line somewhere, and for me STW is over that line.

That’s easy then – you pay a subscription and you don’t get served with ads (when logged in). You want someone else to effectively pay your subscription then you get served with ads. That’s how media on the internet largely works.

fasthaggis

I keep getting ads for those shitingly pretentious backpacks

Nah, it’s all gone full Thrudark for me now.
    #jointhebrotherhood

redmex
    Free Member

I’m one of the mature aged ones on here almost a sexagenarian so remember her from Grange hill but never ever fancied her even with the raging hormones going on back then

DezB
    Free Member

Have you seen the ones that say Susan (what is it about Susans?) Boyle is beautiful now?
    If anyone’s clicked on that can you tell me if it’s true please?

Cougar

Is there some sort of plugin I can install which blocks posts whining about advertising on a commercial website?

I’m one of the mature aged ones on here almost a sexagenarian so remember her from Grange hill but never ever fancied her even with the raging hormones going on back then

Never really watched Grange Hill – the last thing I wanted to do after getting out of school was watch another one on TV – but I had a fleeting crush on her in Eastenders days. One of the red-tops ran a photoshoot with her and I think that’s what set me off.

bridges
    Free Member

She went from starring in Grange Hill and EastEnders, to becoming a successful producer and director. A stark contrast to Lee MacDonald, who played Zammo Macguire in GH. And what happened to ‘Nasty Nick Cotton’ actor John Altman (‘ello ma…’)? One of the all time best EE actors, in my opinion.

onehundredthidiot

Nasty Nick was in one of those Z Listers live in India programs. He didn’t come across well. Mind none of them did a bit too gammony or about to disappear up their own fundament.

winston
    Free Member

I saw Tucker as the baddy in a panto a few years ago. He was really good.

IdleJon
    Free Member

You would have been closer to 18 when she started as a 13 year old in 1981, if not a little older? Hardly a surprise you didn’t fancy her. (The only reason I noticed the age disparity is that I’m the same age as her.)

redmex
    Free Member

I was in 1st year at high school when it started and I think she was one of the original ones along with tucker
    Must have been about 1974

redmex
    Free Member

Ok I take it back I’m getting her mixed up with someone else

poly
    Free Member

Is there some sort of plugin I can install which blocks posts whining about advertising on a commercial website?

You could just not click the links! However, this might actually be useful for staff/mods/ex-mods who are members and manage to stay logged in – as you don’t see the ads – this one is the sort of distasteful clickbait that’s popular on the website of a newspaper that STW has decided not to support direct links to! Check @Spin’s post above for the particular wording. It the sort of content that if repeatedly posted in the forum would get ban hammers waved – so STW might not want to permit it the ads either. I’m sure there’s a “report this add” link but its not obvious.

doomanic

So the current Susan Tully as I’m seeing on this page says ‘Susan Tully used to be beautiful in the 80s, now it’s hard to look at her.’

Wrong on a number of levels.

Very wrong indeed. A quick google reveals terrible 80’s hair and clothing. Not a good look for anyone.

dudeofdoom

I was in 1st year at high school when it started and I think she was one of the original ones along with tucker
    Must have been about 1974

TBH I think Claire was the yummy one and didn’t she go on to do something tasteful with a dolphin ripping her bra off ?
    (Or was that one of my fantasys)

dudeofdoom

Ahh question is shall I watch it and be carried back to the times of my yoof :-)

The Fruit Machine is a unique film, a fantasy that is also a murder thriller, with overtones of The Little Mermaid, via Splash, a gay romance and the best striptease ever filmed! It is unmistakably of the 80s in every shot – the clothes, the day-glo look, bright lighting often with neon strips

grum
    Free Member

I’m a subscriber now so I’m allowed to moan. The thing I don’t get is, running a website hasn’t suddenly become incredibly expensive has it? How come websites used to be able to exist without such intrusive, often borderline scammy advertising?

DezB
    Free Member

TBH I think Claire was the yummy one and didn’t she go on to do something tasteful with a dolphin ripping her bra off ?

I Bought a Vampire Motorcycle :)

Cougar

You could just not click the links!

Of course, because a thread entitled “Susan Tully” is very clearly a complaint about adverts.

STW might not want to permit it the ads either. I’m sure there’s a “report this add” link but its not obvious.

I do not believe for a moment that any regular poster is unaware how to report potentially problematic advertising. Mark’s email is common knowledge. Tech’s email is common knowledge. There’s a ‘help’ button on literally every page on the website. And there’s an FAQ on the forum.

Cougar

The thing I don’t get is, running a website hasn’t suddenly become incredibly expensive has it?

Because they aren’t “running a website.”

How come websites used to be able to exist without such intrusive, often borderline scammy advertising?

Because it’s not expensive to run a website if you’ve got five visitors a month and you don’t have a dozen salaries to pay. On the other hand, if you need to handle subscriptions, merchandise, editorials, articles, payroll, finances…

GoFar is first and foremost a content publisher. We’re lucky the forum exists, up until STW’s recent integration of the forum with the articles I was constantly amazed that it was considered to be worth the hassle.

poly
    Free Member

Of course, because a thread entitled “Susan Tully” is very clearly a complaint about adverts.

Ironically, anyone who sees ads would know that’s what it was about as it was all over the site!

I do not believe for a moment that any regular poster is unaware how to report potentially problematic advertising.

You can not believe all you want – but I’m a regular here and I seem to recall there’s a different process for reporting ads from reporting posts, and its not visible on the page when the ads are displayed (at least on a mobile device). So what you are expecting is the users to remember where some hidden features is and go look that out for “you”?

Mark’s email is common knowledge. Tech’s email is common knowledge.

Is it? I think you overestimate the attention level of your users – I’m sure I could find it if I really wanted to.

There’s a ‘help’ button on literally every page on the website. And there’s an FAQ on the forum.

There is. It literally doesn’t mention advertising at all. It mentions technical problems – and a form to report them. I know STW is small but I assume that the “technical team” are not making the decisions on which levels of scummy advert are acceptable.

sweepy
    Free Member

I knew what the thread was about as soon as I saw the title because I too have been swamped by these particular ads.
    I don’t really mind the ads, I try and block them, they try and evade the block- it’s a dance, but those particular ads are nasty, rude clickbait.
    I’ll be honest and say I thought better of STW than that, it’s all very well saying the ads pay for the site so you can avoid them by paying, or you have no say on the individual ads, but if they are on your site you could at least check and remove the worst of them.

winston
    Free Member

Totally agree.

Nobody minds  ‘Buy Daz,  it gets your whites whiter than white’ or The New Ford Focus: exactly the same as the old one but with an updated glovebox etc etc

These type of ‘ads’ are just disgusting and drag down the site and just make the internet even more unpleasant than it is already.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 86 total)

The topic ‘Susan Tully’ is closed to new replies.