Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 346 total)
  • Surrey Hills at Bursting Point?
  • glenp
    Free Member

I was born in Friday Street and now live in Abinger Common, so I think I’ve got a fairly good angle on these issues. A couple of points:

crossfire 80 – I don’t think it is reasonable to expect Peaslake to be a sleepy place with next to no commerce or visitor activity. Just because you were lucky enough to buy a silly-priced house in a beautiful place, doesn’t mean that place is an idyl for the wealthy. In the past there would have been much more going on there. Plus, if you have caused criminal damage, or have sanctioned or encouraged such, you deserve everything coming to you.

(Some) riders – inconsiderate parking is not on – go and park up the hill somewhere if the village is looking a bit full. You have a bicycle!

And – a hell of a lot of confrontation would be avoided if bikers would stop (or go down to walking pace) when they encounter walkers. Just do it – then wait until you have the space back to yourself and then get on with enjoying your ride.

mattjg
    Free Member

well said Glen.

There’s no need for any cyclist to park in Peaslake, and in fact I find the store much nicer as a mid-ride stop than start/end point anyway.

Pretty much anywhere between Dorking and Guildford – that’s about 10 miles – puts you on good trails in the network.

binners

This thread is the gift that just keeps giving. Are you familiar with the concept of bald men fighting over combs? 😆

MrWoppit
    Free Member

No. What do you mean?

binners

Sorry Woppit. I’m just being smug and gloaty northerner again. All our southern cousins getting proper worked up about going riding somewhere where there aren’t even any proper hills anyway 😉

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Binners, the difference here is the real or perceived threat of damage to other peoples’ property, surely?

I am surprised that this has not been moderated.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

A valuable contribution to a sensitive and controversial subject from a valuable contributor with an objective viewpoint.

binners

Well we did ship you a bit of Derbyshire down for your sports day….

But don’t tha be thinking tha’s gerrin’ any more

😉

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Yes, binners. We know you don’t think the SH are worth riding in. You keep telling us. We get it. It wasn’t very interesting the first time though in, when was it, 2002 or something? Please stop trying to hijack the thread with your not very relevant opinion.

njee20
    Free Member

I assumed it was a new opinion, trying to be ‘hilarious’. Bit sad if that’s a regularly voiced stance. Still, at least he’ll stay up north!

soobalias
    Free Member

says a lot about city life when surrey hills rates as good riding

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

says a lot about city life when surrey hills rates as good riding

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

br
    Free Member

Sorry Woppit. I’m just being smug and gloaty northerner again. All our southern cousins getting proper worked up about going riding somewhere where there aren’t even any proper hills anyway

You don’t need ‘proper hills’ to MTB, just good trails – and the North Downs is criss-crossed with superb MTB trails/singletrack.

hora
    Free Member

soobalias WRONG.

The Surrey Hills are great. A month ago I rode a route that I last rode 7yrs ago. I didnt take one wrong turn and all of it was achingly beautiful.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Never mind north vs south, it sounds like an idiotic local is sticking nails in peoples tyres! At best its a few hundred quids worth of vandalism, at worst someone doesn’t notice before getting back in their car. In fact, wasn’t there a serious crash a while back for similar reasons?

Let us know what the police say Carlos45

rewski
    Free Member

Agree with hora, did the grizzly lung buster route on here last weekend, stunning autumn countryside with plenty of hills, I was with a northern rider and he was a broken man after 6 hours in surrey.

mattjg
    Free Member

plus we don’t put our beer through those silly sparklers.

Sonor
    Free Member

I feel sorry for the guys who build the trails (who some morons in this thread won’t to stop) that do all the trail work only to have a load of brake dragging squids turn up and get stoked every weekend but never lift a spade.

Perhaps they should build trails to a better spec?

Carlos45
    Free Member

Horatio….

I didn’t see the nails till later that day. This was a few hrs after returning home when the tyres looked pretty damn low on air pressure down one side. The guy in the garage showed me the nails. I would have put it down to bad luck until I read this thread this am. Way too much of a coincidence if you ask me…….

crossfire80
    Free Member

Quote from Carlos45

Well – thank you very much – several nails in my car tyres on Saturday. Damage is £550. Doesn’t matter whether its an Audi or not. I’ve been riding in the Surrey Hills since 2001 and this is no way forward. Interesting observation is that the damage was done to 2 tyres…… Remarkable coincidence yeah….. A call to police beckons…

If you really want to carry on the subject – it wasn’t me and I’ve got no clue, I mean no clue, who that was. And I feel sorry for you and for the person who did it. There’s lots of CCTV footage from Guildford area to proove where I was on Saturday plus other hard evidence so if you want to do it, bring it on. Provided you’re not lying or it wasn’t coincidence. But all in all it’s a waste of your time IMHO.

Mentioning flat tyres was a reaction for an arrogant post before, I can’t imagine anyone being so stupid to do something like that just because someone else rides a bike. On the other hand – I guess most of you is just blind to see the problem that has been rising for a long time. And if Carlos’s car really was damaged, then maybe this would make you think twice before bringing bad behaviour to a very peaceful place like Peaslake. Of course, you can carry on and pretend everything’s fine. It’ll not help anyone.

Summing everything up again – there’s nothing wrong with mountain cycling, Peaslake does get overcrowded, especially the centre of it and the car park and the image of majority of you suffers from the minority behaviour. Maybe the latter is the bursting point mentioned in the title of the thread.

jim76
    Free Member

Have been a regular Surrey Hills rider for about 15 years now. It’s definately busier now than it was. When I started riding up there I remember Leith Hill being the busy hill, then Holmbury and Pitch was the quiet hill – so have always done more of my riding on Pitch Hill when doing smaller loops.
    I noticed what seemed like a surge in numbers when the work was carried out on Barry Knows Best. Maybe I’m wrong, but I am sure more riders started visiting the area after that, and Pitch is definately busier now than it’s ever been.
    Personally I don’t get the need for everyone to park in Peaslake, or walking Bottom car park. I get that for some riders it’s all part of the “show” – hanging out in Peaslake, bike posing and talking the talk etc but surely everyone doesn’t need to cram their vehicles into the village or WB car park to do that – there’s another large car park at the top of the hill and the Windmill Pub also encourage bikers, do food etc, not to mention all the small car parks in the area.
    Away from the village, the trails are an issue – the errosion is just awful and that has got really bad over the last 2 years – I’m talking official and not official trails here. We all ride them all but as JCL rightly said, they get the ass kicked out of them all year round with zero maintenance and they just won’t last unless something is done (and I have offered) Barry Knows best may not be the most tech or fun up there, but it’s one of the only year round trails that copes with the traffic (just a shame so many riders insist on braking into that last right-hand berm!)
    Have never witnessed any problems up there between riders and walkers, horse riders etc which is encouraging. Sad to read some of the posts in this thread though – damaging someones car, whoever that was is plain low, cowardly and pathetic – thought that sort of thing was only done by low life chav scum that unfortunately habitat my home town 🙄

geetee1972
    Free Member

Sorry Woppit. I’m just being smug and gloaty northerner again. All our southern cousins getting proper worked up about going riding somewhere where there aren’t even any proper hills anyway

Binners I wouldn’t mind but you’re not even that good a rider so quite what you’re getting gloaty about it beyond me. Besides the trails here are way more technical than most of the Peak District. They aren’t rocky I grant you and the total vert isn’t as much but hey, compared to the alps you could level the same argument to the peaks, Scotland, lakes etc.

offthebrakes
    Free Member

Not all of the Surrey Hills is at bursting point. Never see many riders at the Punchbowl or Puttenham Common, and none at all on Hascombe Hill.

There’s more than just Peaslake!

br
    Free Member

I didn’t see the nails till later that day. This was a few hrs after returning home when the tyres looked pretty damn low on air pressure down one side. The guy in the garage showed me the nails. I would have put it down to bad luck until I read this thread this am. Way too much of a coincidence if you ask me…….

Surely you could have picked up the nails someway on the way back?

hora
    Free Member

Yoghurt pots was never in top repair/condition but its pretty fecked now mid-section 🙁

Out the bottom of Yoghurt- straight over and dogleg left provides a great alternative to the Telegraph run.

Oh and Iwill say it again, Surrey hills is full of flow. Most of the peaks are devoid of bends- just fairly straight rocky widr descents (sadly).

Flowy,speed carrying tight technical foliage with rollins. Awesome

Carlos45
    Free Member

b r

Yep – could well have done.

Going thro two tyres would be very bad luck.

kilo

“I am a Peaslake resident and British Legion member. Together with several of my colleagues I attended the service at the village war memorial yesterday and we were very touched to see so many of your members present, specifically for the occasion. One hears frequent mutterings about the numbers of bikers cluttering the village at weekends, but it is also heartening to discover that many of those outsiders who use Peaslake as a recreation centre are sufficiently responsible to respect also the life and customs of the village, in this case the annual remembrance service for those who fell in two world wars. “

http://www.kingstonwheelers.co.uk/kwccforum/viewtopic.php?p=99731#99731

freeridenick
    Free Member

End of thread…

spacemonkey

The Surrey Hills are great. A month ago I rode a route that I last rode 7yrs ago. I didnt take one wrong turn and all of it was achingly beautiful.

You opted to miss out on all the new stuff then?

spacemonkey

I reckon the reasons Peaslake is getting more rammed these days are because:

1) Pitch and WF are believed to be more trendy than Leith and Holmbury (and Redlands)
    2) Forums like this give more credence to the above because it seems to lend some sort of reverence to the area
    3) With the above in mind, many riders either don’t bother checking out Leith and Holmbury or when they do, they give up finding the best stuff (particular on Leith) because they can’t find it

Just my tuppence.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Write up of the remembrance service at Peaslake and a picture of some of the riders there:

http://www.muddymoles.org.uk/rides/ride-report-sunday-11th-november-remembrance-ride

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

That’s all well and good Turner guy but if those riders were muddy they would have messed the place up, apparently.

hora
    Free Member

What do you class as the old stuff?

joao3v16
    Free Member

I can’t be bothered reading any of the previous 8 pages, however I am intrigued that anyone thinks there are actual hills is Surrey. Unless they’re only 8 inches tall. Then I can understand how some of Surrey might look “hilly”.

hora
    Free Member

Perspective- a Cumbrian lad commented on his visit to the Peaks that he liked it and the hills dont take long at all to get up. 😆

binners

Binners I wouldn’t mind but you’re not even that good a rider

Cheers GT. That’s actually the most complimentary thing anyone’s ever said about my riding. Out in’th’ills last week my riding style was referred too as ‘like a big diesel Volvo estate’! 😆

Right – I’ll stop taking the piss out of your ‘hills’ now, as whats going on there does all sound a bit mental. Sorry for being flippant

atlaz
    Free Member

If you really want to carry on the subject – it wasn’t me and I’ve got no clue, I mean no clue, who that was. And I feel sorry for you and for the person who did it. There’s lots of CCTV footage from Guildford area to proove where I was on Saturday plus other hard evidence so if you want to do it, bring it on. Provided you’re not lying or it wasn’t coincidence. But all in all it’s a waste of your time IMHO.

My suggestion is that as a “local” who started living there well after people here have been riding around the area Peaslake, you try to be more productive rather than threatening to stick nails in tyres then getting offended when someone suggests that the nails in their tyres might be down to the person who threatened to do it. The bikes are there in Peaslake whether you like it or not so the energy spent on being argumentative might be better spent trying to work out better ways for everyone to get along. As an aside, I’ve seen a lot of locals parking on the grass verges on the way up to Walking Bottom so it’s not just cyclists.

As with earlier comments, perhaps you should just get the Store to close then the number of people would drop dramatically. Look at Coldharbour. It has about 10 parking spaces and one pub and even on the busiest days on Leith, it’s almost empty of cyclists and the locals actually seem to be quite welcoming when you do stop.

I’m sure there’s the occasional arse on a bike who is genuinely annoying/dangerous/offensive, but we could level the same accusation at locals with branches across trails, lines over bridleways (as near Newlands Corner) etc. I don’t think everyone on STW is assuming everyone is out to damage them so maybe a constructive approach to the discussion might help?

mattjg
    Free Member

It’s a beautiful morning, to my eyes, today. The trees poking up through the fogbanks on Denbies make it look like Amazon rainforest. I love autumn in the Surrey Hills.

We’re all lucky to have such a wonderful area to walk and ride.

rewski
    Free Member

however I am intrigued that anyone thinks there are actual hills is Surrey

I assume you do know what a hill is and that you can read an os map with contour lines? Know one is saying it’s the alps or lakes but if you ride for a day around the north downs you can stack up a lot of elevation.

Grizzly Lungbuster

jambalaya
    Free Member

I am intrigued that anyone thinks there are actual hills is Surrey.

There are hills in Surrey, there are mountains elsewhere in the UK. Mind you if you asked someone in France, Italy or Switzerland if the UK had any mountains I suspect they’d say no.

mattjg
    We’re all lucky to have such a wonderful area to walk and ride

Agreed a million times. This year I’ve visited North and South Wales, the Lakes and of course the Surrey Hills where I live. All different, all stunningly beautiful.

Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 346 total)

The topic ‘Surrey Hills at Bursting Point?’ is closed to new replies.