Viewing 26 posts - 321 through 346 (of 346 total)
  • Surrey Hills at Bursting Point?
  • wrecker
    Free Member

er. Yes, but you don’t just ride up the fall line and straight back down do you? There’s a climb, a bit of a descent, a bit more climbing, a traverse etc etc

It’s still one hill! you can’t compare it to a ride with 3 hills in it!
    All this does is demonstrate how small the hills in Surrey are, not the quality of the riding (which may be great for all I know). What’s the highest peak in the SH?

mattjg
    Free Member

You’re right. We give in. It’s crap and flat so stay away.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

All this does is demonstrate how small the hills in Surrey are

The difference between the highest and lowest point of my Glyncorrwg track is 300m (looks like the bottom is already at 200m above sea level).

My big Surrey Hills ride peaked at 294m on Leith Hill and bottomed out at 47m – so circa 250m. Glyncorrwg is definitely higher but the difference in elevation gain isn’t that great.

spacemonkey

I bet some of the Peaslake/SH locals would pi55 themselves at the bickering on this thread. They probably think we stick up for our own yet here we are in another “North v South” “My hill’s bigger than your hill” squabble.

jambalaya
    Free Member

What’s the highest peak in the SH?

Leith Hill – they built a tower on the top so it would count as a 1000 ft peak 8)

This height p1ssing contest is quite funny, Surrey Hills are a wonderful place to live and ride as are the mountains of Wales, Peak District and the Lakes – I’m looking forward to riding in Scotland for the first time next year. It’s all good. I’m off out later this afternoon – happy days

hora
    Free Member

How many northerners ride their ‘mountain bikes’ on mountains?

Really and how much of their rides are actually on mountains?

Should we change the name of this hobby to hillbikes or trailcentrebikers.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

When I first got into MTB, around 1988, my ‘mentor’ would always correct me when I refered to mountain bikes. “They are all terrain bicycles, there are no mountains in Hampshire”. He had a point.

xcgb
    Free Member

Dear oh dear – I live in the Surrey Hills mountain range (or little Switzerland as it used to be called- seriously)

Its got some hills I like it, some people wont, but hey its just riding bikes innit not world peace or anything!

rj2dj
    Free Member

Jef, perhaps he was French? 😉

jambalaya
    Free Member

Just looked out of the window – clear blue skies in the Surrey Flatlands – can’t wait ….

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

@rj2dj, his nickname was Jean Paul, after his doppelganger and the similar clothing bill that they shared. Come to think of it, his sir name was French too! Ha. 🙂

winterfold
    Free Member

“bikebouy – Member
    I drive past Hurtmore, drove past it this morning actually on my way to another office, but hey.. and I’ve often wondered just what it’s like to ride “them there hills”.
    I shall pop up one day soon, looks like you are having fun and by the looks of it it’s similar to where I ride now.”

swapped ‘fin’ for ‘bike’?

If that is you then it’s better than further south, drop me a line if you want to come up, or if you fancy having your arse kicked on your road bike.

—–
    I have spent quite a bit of the 10 months this thread has been going nearly dead – it’s interesting how little things (and opinions and surrey hills thread memes have changed).
    Has the sustainability of John Watson-Supernova been slagged off yet?

The Surrey Hills will still be there long after we’re all gone.

rewski
    Free Member

@ jambalaya – remember to take plenty of clothing and supplies, the weather can change quick up on those hills.

binners

hora – Member

How many northerners ride their ‘mountain bikes’ on mountains?

Really and how much of their rides are actually on mountains?

Should we change the name of this hobby to hillbikes or trailcentrebikers.

On the strength of this year, I’m a Muddy Swamp Biker. Snot fair! 😥

hora
    Free Member

I miss the Surrey Hills, on your next ride out folks could you please DOUBLE-ENJOY it on my behalf as well please.

binners

You could always move back there…

😀

xcgb
    Free Member

Binners – No he’s banned

binners

Come on. It must be your turn again by now? We’ve had him for ages! 😉

hilldodger
    Free Member

hora – Member
    ……. could you please DOUBLE-ENJOY it on my behalf as well please.

……as long as it doesn’t include leaving an injured mate broke and bleeding on the trail or public trowser soiling in a nearby hostlery 😆

hora
    Free Member

xcgb
    Free Member

Hora – short memory issues?

hora
    Free Member

From 2004 on something thats trolled about occasionally?

xcgb
    Free Member

Yeah that’d be it! 🙂

mattjg
    Free Member

Please keep an eye open for these, esp the Lynskey and the Salsa which are quite distinctive, stolen on our turf last week:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/lynskey-and-salsa-and-2-road-bikes-stolen-surrey

Sonor
    Free Member

Someone remind me about this in a year, what say we all go have a nice ride in the Surrey Hills next Rememberance Sunday. Maybe meet in Westcott, ride over to Peaslake for 1045 to pay our respects, have a cuppa and a chat with the locals and the Legion, then ride on.

Consider this your reminder Mcboo. 8)

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Second reminder. Not sure I could make it yet, but it would be nice to try to show our respects as MTBers!.

Viewing 26 posts - 321 through 346 (of 346 total)

The topic ‘Surrey Hills at Bursting Point?’ is closed to new replies.