Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 346 total)
  • Surrey Hills at Bursting Point?
  • hora
    Free Member

It all stops being beautiful when you become bitter and twisted. Friends should point out this malaise and drag said-friend back from the brink.

spacemonkey

@rewski: the good thing about those maps is they keep “out of towners” on the BWs and leave the proper stuff to the rest of us 😛

bikebouy
    Free Member

I drive past Hurtmore, drove past it this morning actually on my way to another office, but hey.. and I’ve often wondered just what it’s like to ride “them there hills”.
    I shall pop up one day soon, looks like you are having fun and by the looks of it it’s similar to where I ride now.

Room for another car?

rewski
    Free Member

@ spacemonkey: proper stuff! You mean there’s more than just BWs?

mattjg
    Free Member

@bikebouy Hurtwood not Hurtmore http://www.friendsofthehurtwood.co.uk/

But it’s nice, mail in profile if you want to ride sometime.

mcboo
    Free Member

Someone remind me about this in a year, what say we all go have a nice ride in the Surrey Hills next Rememberance Sunday. Maybe meet in Westcott, ride over to Peaslake for 1045 to pay our respects, have a cuppa and a chat with the locals and the Legion, then ride on.

hora
    Free Member

I’m in.

happyrider
    Free Member

Westcott?! We don’t want to see any more Audi and BMW’s with roof racks littering up our village. Go park in Abinger!

hora
    Free Member

our village.

Its not your village. Its everyones. Everyone can park, visit and go there and anywhere in the UK.

As I said to an inbred prick in Calderdale ‘does this mean you have to ask my permission to visit Manchester’?

😆

deadkenny
    Free Member

mattjg
    There’s no need for any cyclist to park in Peaslake, and in fact I find the store much nicer as a mid-ride stop than start/end point anyway.

Unfortunately a lot of people aren’t even aware of WB car park. Not their fault, they’re just directed to Peaslake.

joao3v16
    I can’t be bothered reading any of the previous 8 pages, however I am intrigued that anyone thinks there are actual hills is Surrey. Unless they’re only 8 inches tall. Then I can understand how some of Surrey might look “hilly”.

North downs & Surrey Hills ridge is basically a bloody great glacial cliff.

It’s no mountain but while some mountains in Wales may be higher in actual altitude, the base to top climbs of the Surrey Hills are reasonable and more to the point there’s a lot of top to bottom to top on the routes, whereas many trail centres are long climb up, level and final descent.

Recent SH session covering just three of the hills, 2119ft elevation gain. Whites Level total loop earlier in the year, 1996ft gain. Similar amount of riding for both (utterly different terrain though).

deadkenny
    Free Member

As for Westcott – well just have to watch the Obsessive Hoarder documentary to see what the attitudes of the locals are there 😛

happyrider
    Free Member

Hora, I know I’m kidding all are welcome, come and have a coffee if you happen to be passing by 🙂

hora
    Free Member

No, you’ve upset me now. I must put the head of a dead pony at the bottom of your bed 😯

mattjg
    Free Member

I propose we put less effort into correcting people’s misconception there’s no good reason to come here.

(My impression from the hoarder documentary is he was the most likeable person in the film by a good margin). I have a couple of mates living in Westcott, they’re OK. Mostly.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ohhh an offer I can’t refuse, thanks for the info, shall be in touch.. 😆

rewski
    Free Member

My bike was born in Westcott, well built, born in Asia really.

mikeconnor
    Free Member

A valuable contribution to a sensitive and controversial subject from a valuable contributor with an objective viewpoint.

I don’t think you can get a more ‘objective’ viewpoint than through the bottom of a pint glass in a Manchester pub. Of course, Binners is all-knowing about all sorts of things he has no actual experience of; I thought this was an established fact on here?

As for the ‘nimby’ attitudes of some residents of the Peaslake area; I imagine many of them make/made their money working in/from London, a heavily congested city. I wonder if they ever pause to consider the impact their commuting into the city has on the residents there? Or maybe they just think that because they have ample waelth, that they are somehow entitled to peace and quiet away from us plebs?

Why not move to a remote part of Scotland, if you want such tranquility?

binners

Hi Mike

*waves*

mikeconnor
    Free Member

Hi Binners. I find it somewhat unnerving that you manage to reply so quickly to any mention of your name. Do you have some sort of sophisticated software that alerts you whenever your name is mentioned? A sort of attention seeking app?

Wonder if you could enlighten this thread with your undoubted limitless knowledge:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/how-does-the-claims-system-work-following-an-accident

binners

Not really Mike. It just get lonely, and I’ve got the attention span of a goldfish. Its a lethal combination, and the subsequent yawning emptiness it creates at the very heart of my being, means i sort of permanently need a hug

I’ll have a look at the thread now. See if I can bring my omnipotence into focus….

atlaz
    Free Member

Maybe we need a critical mass Peaslake set up? Any volunteers?

hora
    Free Member

As for the ‘nimby’ attitudes of some residents of the Peaslake area; I imagine many of them make/made their money working in/from London, a heavily congested city. I wonder if they ever pause to consider the impact their commuting into the city has on the residents there? Or maybe they just think that because they have ample waelth, that they are somehow entitled to peace and quiet away from us plebs?

Theres new money and theres old money.

I hate the former, with the latter you (ok, slight generalisation) tend to experience intelligent/educated people.

The former tend to be arrogant (in my opinion).

I’ll repeat what I said earlier- everyone I’ve met in that area has been friendly and inquisitive. If your mannerism or approach is off you tend to get the same (or advantage taken by the new rich).

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Thanks MikeConner. Sometimes this forum really could do with a ‘like’ button.

If this was some remote rural idyll where everyone lived off the land and married each others cousins in some kind of pre-industrial Amish like existence the OP might have a point. It’s the south east of England, if you want beauty and isolation you need to go buy a Scottish estate rather than spending your, not insignificant amount of money, to live in a desirable village in the Surrey Hills.

Like many others here I buy food from the local shops and beer from the pubs when I ride in the area. I’ve had chats with lots of people walking with their kids or dogs and never had any unpleasantness.

I do think it would have less impact if riders didn’t park in the village itself and if not everyone tried to park in WB. Shuttle runs on BKB also strike me as a really bad idea. The locals could do with driving a bit slower in their 4×4’s – hey, they could even walk or cycle to the village shop.

atlaz
    Free Member

BKB shuttle runs were, indeed, a daft move. It’s not like it takes 30 mins to get to the top and even when there it’s not like you’re going to use some sort of 40lb DH bike with everyone else riding too.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Blimey I thought the shuttle run comment was a joke? Please no…..

wrecker
    Free Member

Recent SH session covering just three of the hills, 2119ft elevation gain. Whites Level total loop earlier in the year, 1996ft gain.

Whites level is ONE hill.

zippykona

All that’s going to happen is that due to the increase in popularity all the trails will be straightened,flattened and covered in gravel.
    Its the surrey way.

hora
    Free Member

BKB shuttle runs

Seriously? Link or I’m calling an early April fools.

atlaz
    Free Member

I don’t want to name names in case I misremember but there was a certain sponsored rider who put it out on facebook that he was doing SH shuttle runs, primarily BKB and somewhere else. I think the overall sense of horror and disbelief may have put him off it.

atlaz
    Free Member

That said, there is a 2 year old thread on STW which says that someone saw an ad in the bus stop at Peaslake for uplift

jambalaya
    Free Member

happyrider – Member
    Westcott?! We don’t want to see any more Audi and BMW’s with roof racks littering up our village. Go park in Abinger!

Parked my Audi (no roof rack) in Westcott on a Wednesday lunchtime for the Nirvana ride in the Spring, got left a nice 4 page colour note explaining how parking clogged up the village at the weekends and showing where else they would like me to park. Quite amusing really. Wednesday, deserted.

jambalaya
    Free Member

hora – Member
    BKB shuttle runs
    Seriously? Link or I’m calling an early April fools.

I’m not going to name the rider (who I recognised) but I saw Pedal and Spoke driving “testers” to the top of BKB to demo a new bike – pretty laughable really. I am possibly the lamest climber on STW but even I can ride up Radnor Road a few times no problem.

mattjg
    Free Member

but I saw Pedal and Spoke driving “testers” to the top of BKB to demo a new bike

lol surely riding uphill is part of the ‘demo’ ….

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

lol surely riding uphill is part of the ‘demo’ ….

that means they were probably rubbish pedaling bikes and Howard was trying to dupe them…

mattjg
    Free Member

but I bet they weren’t cheap rubbish

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Whites level is ONE hill.

er. Yes, but you don’t just ride up the fall line and straight back down do you? There’s a climb, a bit of a descent, a bit more climbing, a traverse etc etc. A bit like riding in most other places in the UK. Actually – what makes UK riding more interesting than big mountains in many ways.

Looking back at a few rides I Strava’d over the summer I’ve got 56km/1123m on the Surrey Hills, 43km 1049 last time I was at Glyncorrwg. Riding out in the Pyrenees we were only doing about 1200m of climb off road (admittedly over as little as 28km). Surrey ain’t flat unless you want it to be.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

I’m doing about 1900 feet over 14 miles on the Surrey Hills most weekends. Over 28 miles, I do 3600 feet of climbing.

Flat as a pancake, Surrey.

jim76
    Free Member

Distance: 22.9mi

Elevation: 2,789ft

Sunday’s ride, Leith to Pitch and back

happyrider
    Free Member

jambalaya, that’s a shame it really is! Bt it doesn’t surprise me unfortunately. If they have the time to write a note 4 pages long they have the time to to navigate around a few cars extra. As long as people are parking with due regard for other people, resident or not, then its ridiculous to get upset. However people are people and most find something to moan about, don’t understand it myself.

atlaz
    Free Member

lol surely riding uphill is part of the ‘demo’

I guess it depends on the bike. If someone was buying one of the v10s he had on demo, maybe dragging that up the hill would be a pain. That said, I’m not sure BKB is an ideal place to test it either

Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 346 total)

The topic ‘Surrey Hills at Bursting Point?’ is closed to new replies.