Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 346 total)
  • Surrey Hills at Bursting Point?
  • ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

It’s still heaven during the week… 😀 Did I mention that? 😀

hora
    Free Member

Sorry all the people complaining about Peaslake being rammed. How long have you been riding around there? I can remember having to sit on the kerb to the right of the store over 5yrs ago.

agg25
    Free Member

“Trimix….gas, coal, nuclear…not fussed as long as its cheap and positioned out of the way.”

I do hope you’re kidding eh?

Swinley gets chockers busy at the lookout, but it’s mostly families and walkers, once you get out on the trails its not bad, I went for a 3 hour ride on Saturday and had to pull over about 5 times from people coming the other way, so it’s no big deal.
    Never been to Pitch or Leith Hill though, sounds good, might head there for a change 😀

tallgavin
    Free Member

Peaslake on Sunday

the-village-shop by tallgavin, on Flickr

njee20
    Free Member

It’s a shame parking charges wouldn’t work (and I agree they wouldn’t) because in a utopian world that would seem to solve all the problems!

It’s a massive place, but really it’s fed from 3 or so major car parks, while many of the smaller ones are empty. I have noticed that the Winterfold ones are busier now though, even the Alderbrook one right at the western edge of the hills. Still once you get even 100 yards from the car parks it’s still generally very quiet, far quieter than any trail centre.

I don’t think you were being ironic with your pictures Binners, but I much prefer our vistas to yours, but lets not let this degrade into a North/South debate, I’m sure you have an appointment at the Job Centre to keep anyway 🙂

hora
    Free Member

I’m sure you have an appointment at the Job Centre to keep anyway

Come on. Thats a tad low in this economic climate.

Why not just arrive early early, park on the opposite side of Leith Hill and ride around silent trails taking in Holmbury hill etc etc etc?

spacemonkey

Why not just arrive early early, park on the opposite side of Leith Hill and ride around silent trails taking in Holmbury hill etc etc etc?

Living in the sticks to the east, that’s pretty much what I do 🙂 No need to even take the Audi! Nice little 30-45 min warm-up and I’m into Redlands/Leith and ready to rock! Hard to beat a flowing 4hr loop taking in the finest trails en route to WF and back 🙂

joolsburger
    Free Member

Have we done the all the gear no idea thing yet? That always comes up when we do Surrey riding. I saw a man with an expensive shiny bike riding slightly too slowly on a trail that is well known to everyone, who the hell does he think he is, if he were even half a man he would have been riding far too quickly on a trail he built himself using his eyelids for shovels which none of you plebs know about because you’re too mainstream etc etc…

tallgavin
    Free Member

……silent trails taking in Holmbury hill etc etc etc?

Trails around Holmbury are largely silent ’cause they’re more boring than TJ rattling on about the law on dogs.

rootes1

Come on. Thats a tad low in this economic climate.

Or ride out from where you live…. 😉

rootes1

Its been busy for YEARS. Its not a recent thing.

Yep – I moved to the south east in 95 and we used to go out from Guildford to the downs etc – was busy then though def less cars

hora
    Free Member

Agree on cars. Its normal for one car to carry one rider isn’t it. So just say 10 riders arriving can have a noticeable impact in the Peaslake area.

mudshark
    Free Member

If I was a local I’d want some parking restrictions around the centre – though locals do park outside the shop at times.

njee20
    Free Member

though locals do park outside the shop at times.

Indeed, the standard of driving is often horrific!

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

joolsburger – Member

Have we done the all the gear no idea thing yet? That always comes up when we do Surrey riding. I saw a man with an expensive shiny bike riding slightly too slowly on a trail that is well known to everyone, who the hell does he think he is, if he were even half a man he would have been riding far too quickly on a trail he built himself using his eyelids for shovels which none of you plebs know about because you’re too mainstream etc etc…

Yeah, a bit like someone whining and moaning about people having new shiny bikes that weren’t covered in mud, even though it was muddy, as if they didn’t ride them properly or hardly used them…

Oh it was you that said that! Oh the ironing board 🙄

Hope you don’t live in a glass house.

joolsburger
    Free Member

No – Trail widening by mud adverse riders is what I said.

I expect your bike is spotless though as you seem a little sensitive.

10pmix
    Free Member

Sorry all the people complaining about Peaslake being rammed. How long have you been riding around there? I can remember having to sit on the kerb to the right of the store over 5yrs ago.

Been riding there 15 years. Not seen it as busy as regularly before in that time. Not complaining either. Worried about increasing pressure on the local environment and wish to encourage others to act as responsibly as possible given popularity cannot be prevented. Spent a while on the OP too to avoid confusion. Oh well…

glenp
    Free Member

Peaslake popularity is def a problem. There are local people who would rather do without the village shop if they could get their peace and quiet back. Parking somewhere totally different and stopping-by Peaslake on the way would be a great idea.

My sympathy is a a little restricted, because a lot of the local people don’t really want there to be any local business at all, but even so…

freeridenick
    Free Member

But where would they get their copy of Horse and Hound from?

I agree, parking in the village is stupid, as are the 2 huge santa cruz vans often parked up selling over priced 29ers…

Paceman
    Free Member

I agree, parking in the village is stupid, as are the 2 huge santa cruz vans often parked up selling over priced 29ers…

Really??

jambalaya
    Free Member

Very good, a few observations. Firstly the cars should be Avants, ideally quattros and add in a Cayenne for good measure. Secondly, they have German plates whereas you’d really see personalised English plates.

10pmix
    Free Member

Very good, a few observations. Firstly the cars should be Avants, ideally quattros and add in a Cayenne for good measure. Secondly, they have German plates whereas you’d really see personalised English plates.

Its funny how this Audi thing has come about isn’t it. It’s like people writing “it’s exactly like that” on the Surrey Hills youtube clip when of course it isn’t really.

There’s probably about half a dozen Audis in the car park out of 50 cars. No more or less popular than any other car. Volvo XC90s or BMW 3 series estates are probably are a better pick.

njee20
    Free Member

Its funny how this Audi thing has come about isn’t it. It’s like people writing “it’s exactly like that” on the Surrey Hills youtube clip when of course it isn’t really.

Agreed! A personal bugbear is people’s overuse of the word ‘literally’ they don’t mean that at all, they mean quite the opposite! A friend pointed it out and now it really annoys me. Far worse than people saying ‘like’ or ‘y’know’ as hedge words!

“The car park was literally full of Audis”

No it wasn’t. There were a couple. Unless it was an Audi dealership, when it’s entirely possible.

“I literally flew down the trail”

Not unless you hit a tree stump at the top.

And breathe.

chakaping
    Free Member

I think you two may have taken the Audi comments a bit too literally.

10pmix
    Free Member

I think you two may have taken the Audi comments a bit too literally

I don’t think we were literally taking them literally. :mrgreen:

njee20
    Free Member

I am literally going to kill someone in a minute 🙂

tallgavin
    Free Member

Literally njee, like why do you feel that way? y’know what I mean

slimjim78
    Free Member

literally bored. im going rising. at Peaslake.

scottishbadger
    Free Member

Driving to Peaslake is cheating!

crossfire80
    Free Member

I’ve been living in Peaslake since 2004. And most of you will not have a clue what the village used to look like. It used to be BEAUTIFUL. With hardly any bikers.

At the moment most of the local people hate the fact, that Sunday morning is no longer quiet, that they can’t walk a dog without a fear of being run over and without, as in London, looking left when crossing a footpath, with a difference, that they have to check both, left and right.

It’s horrible. It’s full of mainly arrogant males in their 30’s covered in mud and with a £20 note sticking out of their pocket. The area doesn’t seem to be friendly and inviting anymore. And the sad outcome of this is that if you’re looking for a peaceful and quiet place for your Sunday ride, you should avoid Peaslake.

The only person, who’s glad, that you’re here, is probably Howard and his bank manager. Peaslake Village shop would be happy without you here (it’s always been!) and so would be most of the people, whose privacy is ruined by a “London crowd” flooding the village on Sundays or a UFO-type 10-piece alien aircraft on wheels made of bikers going down the Pitch Hill with their LED headtorches on in the evening during the week.

As well as for the residents of Peaslake, I feel sorry for the single, not-organised biker, who’s looking for a nice place to ride the bike. He must feel really strange looking for a place to sit down and eat his lunch or being overtaken on the hilly path.

It seems to be a one-way-ticket with no options to change for the good. Thanks to your Sunday trips the tracks will get eroded even more, thanks to your money Howard will become one of the richest men in the biking industry and thanks to all of it there will be no wildlife in the Hurtwood Forest by 2020. They’re already disappearing. Really, really sad. Enjoy your ride. You’re not welcome.

MrSmith
    Free Member

At least your village shop is able to stay open and stocks a passable Cote du Rhone and a variety of cheeses probably unheard of for a village store.

coopersport1
    Free Member

Well said Crossfire, I feel for you. It’s not somewhere I ride anymore and as good as the biking ‘boom’ is I fear those of us that have been riding for as long as we can remember, thoughtfully, conservatively etc will all be tarred with the same brush.

I’m further North now but it’s the same all over, I avoid trail centres and local spots at weekends for fear of all the gear no idea crowds that are booming

crossfire80
    Free Member

It looked nearly the same in 2004, MrSmith 😉

njee20
    Free Member

2004? C’mon, it’s no busier since then! The cyclists have been there for years! I’ve been riding up there for 12 years, and the parking is worse now, which I think is driven in part by P&S, making it more a destination, but that’s about it. I pity the residents, the parking of many riders is terrible, but so’s the parking of residents!

To say ‘back in the halcyon days of 2004, before the bikes’ is absolutely mental, get over yourself!

IMO.

freeridenick
    Free Member

How long until TD gets a mention 😛

freeridenick
    Free Member

Howard has also made so much money he is opening a second shop in Cranleigh

mashiehood
    Free Member

I agree with njee have been riding the area for 10+ years and its not busier now than it was 10 years ago. However, I am saddened by the number of illegal trails (barry knows nothing etc) being built and being ridden by people who should know better.

A few weeks ago I confronted a rider who went past a walker on the 2nd BKB climb, covering her in mud. I caught up with him and politely asked whether he realised what he had done – he stuck two fingers at me and told me to ‘F’ off. He was riding a Santa Cruz so that probably tells it own story.

nukeproofriding
    Free Member

No problem with illegal trails as long as people are courteous and respect other members of public. Boohoo it’s getting busy – so what?

2004? C’mon, it’s no busier since then! The cyclists have been there for years! I’ve been riding up there for 12 years, and the parking is worse now, which I think is driven in part by P&S, making it more a destination, but that’s about it. I pity the residents, the parking of many riders is terrible, but so’s the parking of residents!

First world problems. “we’re upset it’s getting busy because people like riding there so let’s complain about the parking”.

What I personally can’t stand is litter. I couldn’t care less about people making trails as long as it’s not a historically significant area.

MrSmith
    Free Member

It looked nearly the same in 2004, MrSmith

And before you moved there 🙂

ds1
    Free Member

I’ve lived in the area most of my life and these discussions about cyclists/motorcyclists/people coming in cars/day visitors in general have always been there.

I think it’s one of those strange things about the North Downs and Greensand Ridge. Excellent walks/rides so loads of trippers but locations catering for those trippers are far and few between – so the places that do provide something get really crowded, they always used to be called the ‘honeypot’ locations. The place does not really make the most of its tourist potential, could have more campsites for example.

“Peaslake 2004” comment haha – actually I remember it back in 2003 before all the newcomers moved in with their 4x4s – yep, everyone used to get around by bike back then.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 346 total)

The topic ‘Surrey Hills at Bursting Point?’ is closed to new replies.