Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 346 total)
  • Surrey Hills at Bursting Point?
  • 10pmix
    Free Member

I guess I’m just getting worried by the following observations. I think everyone really needs to be riding (even) more considerately. Anyone got a view? Hurtwood state that authorised trails are a way to keep riders away from other Hurtwood users but there clearly aren’t enough to do this.

Up to 700 riders a day were using Barry Knows Best last summer as measured by electronic counters beneath the trail.

Yesterday morning around 11am I counted 40 riders stopped for tea at the Peaslake stores. Cars couldn’t get through Peaslake easily due to riders spilling into the road. Peaslake car park was jammed to the extent cars were blocking each other in. One group I saw had around 30 riders in it. Many others were between 10-20.

To cope with the ‘demand’ more and more unauthorised trails are being built.

Despite the Hurtwood Mountain Bike Code stating that riders should avoid muddy trails to minimise damage many have been significantly cut up following the recent wet weather and riders continue to ride them in large numbers.

I saw two instances of locals yesterday getting very upset about it all.

(NB: I don’t claim to be whiter than white on all of this but I am stepping up (paid up Friends of the Hurtwood member), keeping off footpaths, going out extra early when its quiet, avoiding cut up trails, being very friendly etc. etc.)

tallgavin
    Free Member

Peaslake is is just popular at the moment, all the new trails etc are bringing the crowds in. What I’ve noticed over the years is that areas of the Surrey Hills come in and go out of ‘fashion’. One year it’s Pitch Hill that’s crowded, the next everyone is up in arms about the number of riders on Leith Hill (Leith Hill in particular has been fairly quiet for a year or so now).
    Really not sure what you do about it though which isn’t a help. Trails do come and go though. There are many trails I remember from a few years ago that have vanished and returned to a natural state with no sign that they ever existed. My hunch is that, give it a period if time, crowds will lessen, some of the trails will disappear/get closed and riders will move on to the next ‘hot spot’.

mattjg
    Free Member

Anyone got a view?

Yeah: there’s a lot more to ‘Surrey Hills’ than the mile radius from Peaslake, so spread out, people.

30 riders in a group? Insanity, who’d want to do that … certainly for me it’s not what MTB is about.

I avoid this area at weekends now, Peaslake isn’t a pleasant place to be any more. I don’t blame the residents for getting a bit irate.

I would guess most riders are coming ‘out of area’, they come to the place they hear of and read about because they want maximum bang for buck on their day out, that’s natural and understandable.

All the vids on the youtube and threads on forums don’t help.

So the only solution I can think of is to stop puffing the place up. But everyone likes their 15 minutes of fame so that’s not going to happen.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Meh. I was up there yesterday and yes it was a little busy at the tea shop however a lot of that was the Kingston Wheelers and who had come up by road. The reality is very different from the perception at The Teashop. I was out for 4 hours and hardly saw anyone, just crossed a few people out on the trails. Although I have over the last few months noticed larger and larger groups but if that’s what they like, so be it I’m not the trail police.
    As for the trail erosion well, yes. I think the fact that some delicate riders seem to be terrified of getting muddy means that on some of the common shared use trails/bridleways you can see some bad widening. However by the summer it will all have recovered as it does when it dries out. Still though straight up the middle for me, a bit of mud doesn’t hurt and often the deep puddles are rocky at the bottom.

As usual the best thing is to have a bit of common sense, slow down for walkers and horses and be polite and cheery. People should try and keep out of the road though but we aren’t talking Picadilly Circus really.

mattjg
    Free Member

@gavin that’s reassuring, hope you’re right.

IMO there’s plenty of space out there if we use a little common sense and discretion, but there’s a certain point where herd behaviour takes over and that becomes difficult.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

The Teashop. I was out for 4 hours and hardly saw anyone, just crossed a few people out on the trails

Always my experience too! Trails quiet, car parks busy.

Peaslake is definitely a popular place with road bikers too.

Its a crowded part of the country, not much you can do.

Trimix
    Free Member

One of the reasons it over crowded is due to forums and the internet. A few threads and the word can spread. Then lots of people drive down to ride there.

I did as a result of people commenting on it. It happens to other areas like Woburn – which I ride haveing read about it online.

Cant blame them, cant see what you can do about it though. However, you may find that those who dont like the crowds go off in search of other areas.

jfeb
    Free Member

Leith Hill was pretty quiet on Saturday. Unlike Swinley Forest last Monday (Bank Holiday, to be fair) which was annoyingly busy (having to pull over repeatedly on the same trail due to people riding them in different directions etc). That said, my sense is these places are getting busier, aren’t actually that bad and finding a quiet time isn’t difficult (i.e. first thing in the morning).

joolsburger
    Free Member

One very minor annoyance is people stopping in groups across the trail only saw it once yesterday but it’s annoying when you’re climbing and have to stop.

10pmix
    Free Member

I was out for 4 hours and hardly saw anyone

Certainly once on the more ‘secret’ trails you won’t find other riders generally but on BKB, MBR, Northern Monkey etc. I saw lots going down (around 20 came down BKB in a train when I was heading past the bottom).

Its not Piccadilly Circus but its a tiny village and when there’s a queue of cars stuck trying to get through the village and a poor bloke queuing outside the shop behind 30 bikers to buy his morning paper it highlights up an issue.

I should add of course that the Surrey Hills are a terrible place to ride and completely overrated.

weeksy

I hate to sound harsh here, but if crowds, people and other bikes worry you… ride somewhere else people.

I was out for 2 hours and only saw 1 dog walker on local trails/tracks….that was it… no bikes, no cars, no people….

This is a BIG country we live in (in a relative context to the size of Surrey hills)…

Go find some more of it.

Out of interest, i’m about 18 miles from Swinley…..

jambalaya
    Free Member

I live in the SH. The car parking is an issue, particularly in Peaslake village on a weekend morning, this does understandably cause friction with the locals and I can see parking restrictions being brought in there. With a little bit of research you can pick a car park within an easy ride of your chosen hill(s) in fact the car park near the top of BKB is generally deserted. Some consideration of trail usage would benefit us all, there are some which drain really well and were dry the day after the torrential rain last week. As the days get longer I suspect more people will ride in the afternoons or early evenings, it really quietens down after noon and is deserted midweek.

A bigger issue is tension with the land owners inc National Trust, we can all help by being courteous and considerate and joining the “Friends” – we send £1000’s on kit why not £25 to support the trails

GlennG
    Free Member

Like a lot of people on here our small brighton based group has riden at Leith and Pitch/Holbury most weeks for over 15 years and over that time it has changed beyond recognition, it never ceases to amaze me the amount of cars in the carpark and bikers at the tea shop but hardley ever that many on the trails, just seems that the meeting points are a bottle neck. Already mentioned in another post regarding the vans in peaslake village and the uplifting that going on, dont have a problem with it par se but it needs to be done in a more respectfull manner, i.e. dont park in the village and load up! this must be p1ssing the locals off no end.
    Rode there last weekend and didnt bother with most of the ‘usual’ trails and we made a point of riding some of the old trails which suprisingly are in reasonable condition, time will tell if they hold up with an increase in traffic.
    Same is happening at our local riding spot (Stanmer Park) which has seen a drastic increase in the amount of bikers over the last few years, not sure what the solution is but keeping away from mullered trails helps.

binners

Anyone got a view?

Move up north for some proper trails? We saw 4 other bikers while out yesterday! Oh… and 2 fell runners. Like Piccadilly bloody station it was!

😉

deviant
    Free Member

Theres enough land in the Surrey hills area for people to ride all they want, hardly errode the trails and largely go unnoticed by locals….but as others said there are often groups of 10+ people and they seem to home in on the trails around Peaslake.

I dont get it either, seems more like a social event than a bike ride…if they want to chat like a group of teenage girls then they should do it in the pub.

In my usual spot (also in the Surrey Hills) i rarely see another rider, just have to get out and explore a bit.

rootes1

Yesterday morning around 11am I counted 40 riders stopped for tea at the Peaslake stores. Cars couldn’t get through Peaslake easily due to riders spilling into the road. Peaslake car park was jammed to the extent cars were blocking each other in. One group I saw had around 30 riders in it. Many others were between 10-20.

Busy with road rides as well – stopped there on saturday morning.. though of course our group rode there rather than drove 😉

proper busy though with roadies and mtbers

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Its probably just New Years keep-fit resolutions, and new toys for christmas. Plus its the last weekend before returning to work for lots of people. It’ll calm down again.

njee20
    Free Member

I think Pedal & Spoke has led to a massive increase in the number of people ‘basing’ themselves at Peaslake (no ill feelings – I think Howard’s a top chap and it’s good to see the shop doing so well), the style of bike seems to have changed markedly in the last 18 months or so, in line with what they sell.

Definitely agree that in general the car parks do not reflect how busy the trails are. Was up there on the road bike on Saturday and it was crazy. The ham and emmental pastries are a good alternative to the cheese straws though, as the cheeky blighter infront of me bought the last one!

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

vans in peaslake village and the uplifting that going on

uplifting from peaslake – I must have missed seeing the mountains in that area!

uplifting to where – the top of BKB – that would be too sad.

rootes1

The ham and emmental pastries are a good alternative to the cheese straws though, as the cheeky blighter infront of me bought the last one!

I just had a short bread.. that shop does a ripping trade and would be dead without walkers and cyclists..

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Turner Guy +1. What’s the point? Bloody sad, if that is true!!!

spacemonkey

For whatever reason, Leith Hill isn’t trending nearly as much as the likes of Pitch/Winterfold. And like 10pmix says, most ‘visitors’ seem to be looking for the better-known trail, most notably BKB (which IMO isn’t what it used to be regardless of the new ending).

Hence there are loads of other trails and cool little “linky bits” that remain quiet and unaffected.

It’s a comparatively big place and easy to get lost (or at least not have a clue where to find what you’re looking for) if you don’t know the area.

Can see why Peaslake residents ain’t happy though.

deviant
    Free Member

Turnerguy….it happens, there is a video on Youtube of someone with a full-on DH bike pushing up some of the trails in Swinley….obligatory full face too.

Too funny.

Despite only being a cycle ride away from the better known place in the Surrey Hills i avoid them like the plague so i dont run into these pillocks.

spacemonkey

I just had a short bread.. that shop does a ripping trade and would be dead without walkers and cyclists..

The bacon quiche is where it’s at … followed by the Bakewell … big noms.

kilo

The ham and emmental pastries are a good alternative to the cheese straws though, as the cheeky blighter infront of me bought the last one

I’m veering more towards the pork / sausage and pickle type lattice pastry they do, I find the cheese straws tend to come back as you climb Radnor – uplift, wtf?.

Was there on Saturday as others say busy in the carpark but not too busy on the trails, especialy over Hurtwood and Winterfold side (BKB was the only jam). Mrs K was there on the roadbike on Sunday in the Kingston Wheelers group – the shop is a favourite KW tea stop (in fact there was a picture of the Peaslake remembrance day service in Cycling weekly from KW riders), well placed and well stocked but it’ll quieten down with roadies once the weather deteriorates and it’s not so nice standing outside.
    Always thought the friends of hurtwood should have a collecting tin in the shop.

rootes1

the shop is a favourite KW tea stop (in fact there was a picture

Yep was there with some KW on saturday – must join up at some point

binners

Lycra-clad roadies stopping for Bacon quiche? Ham and emmental pastries? pork / sausage and pickle type lattice pastry at the teashop? Uplifts on on the ickle hills?

This is priceless! Keep ’em coming folks. I’m playing shandy-drinking southerner cliche bingo. Car park full of Audi’s by any chance 😆

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

njee20 – Member
    I think Pedal & Spoke has led to a massive increase in the number of people ‘basing’ themselves at Peaslake (no ill feelings – I think Howard’s a top chap and it’s good to see the shop doing so well), the style of bike seems to have changed markedly in the last 18 months or so, in line with what they sell.

^^This^^ Both with regards to Howard (top chap) bust also to the change of style. Not sure it’s really in line with what P&S sell, but more in line with the way we’re all going with bikes.

Far too much gnaaaarage going on for what is, for the vast part, just some lovely trails in the woods. Full face, body armour, etc? And as for uplifting, FFS!

OK, so there are many people who live in London who may only have space for one mountain bike, and as such, they might only have one which can do Wales, the Alps, Richmond Park and the Surrey Hills. That could be a big monster of a bike (Hell, I ride a 6″ travel bike around the Surrey Hills sometimes myself, so I’m no angel). However, I think it’s more the gnaaaaaaaaaaaar “style” of riding that is becoming more prevalent.

simon_g

Its probably just New Years keep-fit resolutions, and new toys for christmas.

I’d go with this. Incredibly warm weather for the time of year combined with New Year “must do more exercise” resolutions means it’s not surprising there’s loads of people out. I remember riding to Box Hill on the first weekend of Jan a couple of years ago and it was so cold I was losing feeling in my face, let alone fingers and toes.

These things tend to regulate themselves IME – if it’s too busy to park and the trails are crowded some people will look further afield next time.

kilo

Lycra-clad roadies stopping for Bacon quiche? Ham and emmental pastries? pork / sausage and pickle type lattice pastry at the teashop?

That’s a bit unfair I only have the pasties on the mtb, on the road bike it’s a rice cake and water.

For Audi read T reg honda that smells abit earthy.

jhw
    Free Member

Turnerguy….it happens, there is a video on Youtube of someone with a full-on DH bike pushing up some of the trails in Swinley….obligatory full face too.

Too funny.

Agree, but awaiting 1,000 posts from people who don’t saying “let him wear what he likes…no matter how special he looks”

woodsman
    Free Member

I avoid the area, especially at weekends for that very reason. The best riding is away from the likes of BKB but, at some point most people pass through to get to other areas, and Peaselake stores do serve some quite tasty snacks!

I think the official trails are a victim of their own success, and to use another cliche have backfired on the official’s original point somewhat. The publicity of these trails in magazines and forums is drawing more people in. I skipped through an edition of MBR in the newsagents (of course I wouldn’t buy such shite – tongue firmly in cheek)and Surrey Hills was marked on a map as a UK Trailcentre. Easy access from the motorways, what do you expect….

xcgb
    Free Member

Up to 700 riders a day were using Barry Knows Best last summer as measured by electronic counters beneath the trail.

This figure is being banded about but when you actually look at the data from what I remember it only got to 692 once, rest of the weekends were much lower. Its giving an unrealistic view of the amount of riders.

To all that use the area though. please consider joining the friends of the Hurtwood as they will be losing council funding soon, and to be honest the money is already more than tight, and the bigger voice bikers have the better

https://www.friendsofthehurtwood.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=57&Itemid=106

allthepies
    Free Member

I think I’ll stick to the Western end of the Surrey Hills, much, much quieter there 🙂

tallgavin
    Free Member

I think I’ll stick to the Western end of the Surrey Hills, much, much quieter there

Sshhhh!

10pmix
    Free Member

The publicity of these trails in magazines

Indeed, I first discovered the main trails in 1997 due to a route in a mountain bike mag (and an organised Evans Cycles event around the same time). Never gonna keep it quiet.

For the record all the best trails are nowhere near the western end. No Siree. They are in the east. Kent in fact.

We have to drink Shandy down here because otherwise we’d have to leave the Audi at home 😀

mattjg
    Free Member

I don’t buy the New Year’s Resolution hypothesis – it was rammed on warm days in November too.

njee20
    Free Member

Lycra-clad roadies stopping for Bacon quiche? Ham and emmental pastries? pork / sausage and pickle type lattice pastry at the teashop?

That’s a bit unfair I only have the pasties on the mtb, on the road bike it’s a rice cake and water.

Well I’m always lycra clad, and I was on the road bike on Saturday and stopped for junk food! Stop there irrespective of bike type to be honest!

it’ll quieten down with roadies once the weather deteriorates

I disagree, road riders are far more likely to be out regardless. You are more likely to get a bike group of road riders though, and if your visit co-incides with theirs it’ll feel busier.

tallgavin
    Free Member

…..and the bigger voice bikers have the better

Appreciate the sentiment but for each biker there’s a different opinion. We only need to look at this forum to know that we’re an argumentative bunch who can’t agree amongst ourselves let alone give a united voice.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

in line with what they sell.

apparently Pedal and Spoke sell 1/3rd of all Santa Cruz’s in the country.

I disagree, road riders are far more likely to be out regardless

even if the roads get a little muddy they still aren’t deterred.

I was out on my hardtail with rigid forks and slicks on at the weekend (working on my thighs ready for some more skiing) and a few roadies accidently acknowledged me – I think the peak on my helmet is a bit stealthy and you might not see it until close up.

I, of course, ignored them.

I think I will be down Surrey Hills next weekend sessioning that 21pc bit of road between pitch and winterfold – no mud for me 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 346 total)

The topic ‘Surrey Hills at Bursting Point?’ is closed to new replies.