Home Forums Chat Forum Surprise hit sandwich fillings

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Surprise hit sandwich fillings
    kayak23

Couldn’t be bothered doing anything world-beating for today’s lunchtime sarnie last night, so thought let’s just whack a bit of mayonnaise in a wrap and chuck in some leftover veggie pasta Bolognese and a cheeky bit of grated cheese.

It was surprisingly good I have to say.

Might add it to the sandwich repertoire for real.

What out of the ordinary sandwich fillings were you surprised that worked well betwixt bread-based products recently.

thols2

hot_fiat

Chicken, Sri Lankan lime pickle and onion bhaji from Dene’s deli in Newcastle. It’s called an Argy Bhaji and never fails to please.

JonBoy
    Free Member

corned beef and ketchup on cheap white bread. Butter is optional.

Poopscoop

@ thols2

Oh man, if only. I know it’s a stock picture but that looks bloody lovely!

paddy0091
    Free Member

fishcake sarnie, not had one in years though.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Grated carrot and peanut butter. Chilli jam.

Potato waffle and fish finger sandwich with salad cream.

Pie / sausage roll in a roll.

Chicken Kiev in a roll was messy but absolutely worth it.

finbar
    Free Member

Lasagna (I only ate these when I worked in a restaurant, but bloody hell…).

funkrodent

Back in the day, my riding sarnie of choice was known as the slagwich and consisted of the following:

Two slices of thick white bread

Butter

Marmite

Peanut butter (crunchy)

Honey (optional)

Marmalade

Sliced banana

Pretty sure everything you need to sustain energy and power is included. Bloody lovely too in a sweet and sour type of way. Added benefit that nobody is going to try and finagle some of your grub..

joshvegas
    Free Member

Lasagna (I only ate these when I worked in a restaurant, but bloody hell…).

I reckon Francos would do you one.

petefromearth

Sausage roll + ketchup sandwich

Slice and fry the sausage roll, pastry and all *chefs kiss*

Helps if you have access to a surplus of excellent sausage rolls, which I happen to ;-)

funkrodent

Grated carrot and peanut butter. Chilli jam

Definitely going to give this a try

Chicken Kiev in a roll was messy but absolutely worth it

And this!

northshoreniall

Chicken kiev sarnie is lush

joshvegas
    Free Member

My latest creation is the omelette and home made kimchi sarnie.

Home made sourdough for preference aswell.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Cold chicken curry from the night before.

Good quality bread and plenty of butter.

spicer
    Free Member

Scallop and bacon

(although wasn’t a surprise, it was always going to be good)

bubs

Anything and everything seems to be a success with Sweet Tomatoe & Bird’s Eye Chilli Chutney (and thank you to Peaslake stores for opening my eyes).

mattyfez

Chicken Kiev in a roll was messy but absolutely worth it.

I’ve not tried it but a read a thing on the internet that if you are oven cooking standard butter and garlic kievs, place then on a slices of bread.

Any leakage will go into the bread instead of making a mess in your oven tray … And it also results in free garlic bread?

Can anyone who’s tried this confirm? I’m thinking the bread would be far too dried out but maybe the butter leakage prevents it?

binners

corned beef and ketchup on cheap white bread. Butter is optional

@JonBoy
    – if you put loads of Worcester sauce onto the corned beef it soaks it up like a sponge, add thinly sliced onions and cheese and you’re in butty heaven. Even better when toasted

Mrs Binners (being from Wigan) introduced me to the joy of the ‘Wigan Kebab – a meat and potato pie on a barm. You’d think that would be too stodgy with double carbs, but it’s absolutely bloody brilliant!

joshvegas
    Free Member

You’d think that would be too stodgy with double carbs,

No. You bloody wouldn’t.

BigJohn

When I worked in Coventry I was introduced to their only claim to culinary innovation: the faggot and pea batch. A batch is their name for a soft bread roll. Once you got over the initial revulsion they were excellent.

On long group rides I’m always told to make my Elvis sandwiches. An enthusiastically buttered crispy cob with streaky bacon, peanut butter and apricot jam. No matter how much your appetite has faded (as tends to happen on long rides) you always say yes to one of these. It has everything you need.

At home it’s usually cheese onion and salad cream.

timmys

Can anyone who’s tried this confirm? I’m thinking the bread would be far too dried out but maybe the butter leakage prevents it?

Someone tipped my off to this recently. It’s worth trying – first time I was WOW, but it is a bit ‘extra’ as the kids would say, so I don’t do it every time. It’s a sort of garlic bread, fried bread hybrid you end up with.

I feel this thread needs cross pollination from the legendary STW toastie thread. That thread produced the cheddar/peanut butter/siracha combo that had everybody (including me) going “WTF!?!?” before trying it to “OMG” after. Is now my default toastie filling.

joshvegas
    Free Member

On that thread I believe I unveiled my runny egg toastie to much wonderment.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.