Home Forums Bike Forum Surly ICT or Chinese Carbon Fat Bike. Help me decide

Viewing 39 posts - 41 through 79 (of 79 total)
  • Surly ICT or Chinese Carbon Fat Bike. Help me decide
  • accu
    Free Member

andy, I put it on the lathe,
    but a mate used the original 32mm salsa flip lock clamp for nearly
    a year on his wednesday, he just opened it enough with a screwdriver !

the ICT comes with the surly constrictor seatclamp but i wanted one with a lever..

salsa used to make a flip lock clamp in 33.1, but thats the same with the spacer kit, no chance to get one, even in the US its very rare

Andy

All Surly frames ship with seatclamp, I believe. Thanks Accu

whitestone
    Free Member

My wife has a Surly Wednesday, not sure of the weight but it’s significantly more than the 14Kg of my Puffin. Given that both are steel frames then the difference has to be in either the wheels/tyres or the components.

Checking the list here[/url] the Nates (27tpi) come in at 1690g each and my Vanhelgas are 1340g so that’s 750g. I’ve a carbon fork whereas the fork on the Wednesday is steel, probably another kilo there.

She also notes that it’s a pig to lift around but that the weight isn’t really noticeable once she’s riding it.

grenosteve
    Free Member

I’d love an ICT, just haven’t got the spare cash or room at the min, even now when Charlie has them for £1.6k.

I’ve just bought back my old Karate Monkey (full M875 XT bits – wheels/brakes/groupset) from my brother. Thinking I need to try 650B+ or 29″ x 50mm rims with a 2.5 on the back and 3.0 on the front….

Love surlys though, they make great bikes, enjoy the Truck!

NormalMan

grenosteve – Member

I’ve just bought back my old Karate Monkey (full M875 XT bits – wheels/brakes/groupset) from my brother. Thinking I need to try 650B+ or 29″ x 50mm rims with a 2.5 on the back and 3.0 on the front….

Love surlys though, they make great bikes, enjoy the Truck!

I totally get that – like I said earlier I’m a fan of how Surly’s ride. So much so I’ve just bought a KM Ops to go alongside my Pug!

grenosteve
    Free Member

It was the one bike I really regretted selling, luckily it was just to my brother, and he’s sold it back to me to buy an XC race bike.

st4nley
    Free Member

I fitted my cinch cranks to my ICT using the hope press fit PF41 30BB, Race face 189 mm length spindle bought from Silverfish.
    Then bought part no HC105-48 x 2 from Hope via LBS £2.80 each as these are 10mm, 30mm spindle spacers.
    Using one on the drive side then reducing the other one for non drive side by only 1mm , fits a treat.
    Hope this is of some help.IMG_2512 by Tony Hall[/url], on Flickr

accu
    Free Member

cheers st4nley…that helps a lot,
    really like the colour of your ICT,
    with the golden hubs..very good !

guitarhero
    Free Member

Cheers St4nley, that’s helpfull. I’ve got 10 2.5mm spacers coming but have gone for the Race Face BB. Did you fit the 1 mm spacers (BB011-01) with the BB?

How far have you screwed your preload collar out?

Might get away with 10 mm of spacers on the DS 7.5 on the NDS and take the rest out with the preload collar.

guitarhero
    Free Member

accu, I got a 33.1 mm Salsa flip-lock from Charlie the Bikemonger today. Site is showing stock still.

st4nley
    Free Member

@accu, good luck with your build, mine has become my go to bike, started out as a ICT ops but wanted something brighter.

@guitarhero, no didn’t use the 1mm spacer, preload collar is screwed out just over 1mm.
    May have a look at this tomorrow and come back to you.

I tried a Race face BB but it was for a 83 mm shell so without centre tube, couldn’t get one for 132 shell with tube.So went for Hope instead in the end as doesn’t require the tube.

Yes think you should be there or there about with the Race face spacers though if your using the Race face BB.

Good luck with your build too.

guitarhero
    Free Member

st4nley, how has the Hope BB been? How long have you been running it?

Think I’m going to order one of them and go with what looks best. The 2 x 1 mm spacers will help for fine tuning

st4nley
    Free Member

Hope BB has been fine, not been running it long only a couple of months, I’m expecting it to be up to the usual Hope quality fingers crossed.
    Never had issues with the original Surly BB either, ran that for a year in sand and Derbyshire grit.

cozz
    Free Member

does the hope crankset fit a ICT

ive just seen a pic of one on a spesh fatbike on facebook, but don’t know if it has enough offset for a 190mm rear bike

I suppose I could email hope and ask them after Xmas

unless anybody knows?

STATO
    Free Member

Why email them when they have a handy tech doc with the details.

For the double its 79 outer and 71 inner, which is equivalent to the Surly MWOD for the moonlander (so 190 back end equivalent) which is 79.7 and 72.1.

dovebiker

Pretty sure you’ll get a pair of 10mm spacers with the 190mm Turbine Cinch cranks – mine certainly did – but it was 2 years ago, so my memory’s fading of what came in what box.

st4nley
    Free Member

Yes the Hope crankset would fit as it has a Q factor of 219 with the 192mm spindle.

Race face has Q factor of 223 mm with 189mm spindle.

I did try a Hope crankset but ended up with cinch as it worked easier with spacers that were available.

Photo of clearance with Race face.
    IMG_2513 by Tony Hall[/url], on Flickr

STATO
    Free Member

Although, according to their BB compatability chart the crank will fit but they dont have a BB!? Presume you just use the cups alone without an inner sleeve? Might need to rethink that email.. :oops:

cozz
    Free Member

ah, that’s good, so although I don’t understand much of that, I can understand they fit 190mm

so I can get one ordered – once I decide on colour

st4nley
    Free Member

The spacers with the 190 cinch come as 11.5 mm.

guitarhero
    Free Member

@St4nley Any chance you could post a pic of your full bike? Loving the colour

cozz
    Free Member

they list fat cranks as 100mm and 120 mm

so its a 120mm? (that’s the bb width) but a 120mm crankset will come with a 192mm spindle?

cranks proper confuse me

STATO
    Free Member

There are 100mm and 120mm BB widths. Obviously you cant fit cranks for 100mm bb on a 120mm bb as the axle will be too short. However if your frame has a 190mm rear end or you want to fit 5″ tyres you will need the longer axle regardless of your BB width. 192mm would appear to be the measurement of the crankset axle they supply for the 120mm BB.

st4nley
    Free Member

ICT BB is 132mm

Happy too…
    IMG_2517 by Tony Hall[/url], on Flickr

guitarhero
    Free Member

Thanks, that is gorgeous

tuboflard

What’s the front fender you’re running there @st4nley? Could do with one on my Fatboy. Oh and I agree, that looks like a very nice bike indeed.

st4nley
    Free Member

It’s a Mucky nutz fat face fender xl

rickmeister

It does look great in that colour, just needs more dirt !

tuboflard

Cheers @st4nley

Vader
    Free Member

That canyon dude looks really interesting, does it have any bosses for fitting mudguards and luggage? Or is it all strap on framebags now?

I have never had a carbon bike so is it possible to fit p clips or is that a no no?

MadBillMcMad

@guiterhero, you’ll love it. It doesn’t make sense but it just continues to amaze me.

As for reviews I think @roverpig must be my twin.

roverpig

Hi Bruv

You’re right though. It makes no sense at all but it just works

guitarhero
    Free Member

It’s coming………..

Unfortunately progress on the spokes for my wheel build has stalled???

guitarhero
    Free Member

Hubba Hubba

Duffer
    Free Member

You’ve made the right choice, in my opinion.

How did they fit it in that guitar case, though? That’s remarkable…

st4nley
    Free Member

Looks like your going to have a good Christmas.

downshift

That looks very nice indeed. Is the Dune donating parts, or are you perhaps looking to move it on at some stage..?

monkeyboyjc

Gotta love the colour….

guitarhero
    Free Member

@downshift. I had changed everything barring wheels on the dune anyway so it will be returned to (virtually) stock and sold on.

Christmas has somewhat limited my build time but hope to finish today with first ride tomorrow.

Viewing 39 posts - 41 through 79 (of 79 total)

The topic ‘Surly ICT or Chinese Carbon Fat Bike. Help me decide’ is closed to new replies.