• This topic has 10 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by hooja.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Help me spec my new Salsa Fargo frameset
  • fudge9202
    Free Member

Just bought a 2016 Salsa Forgo frameset, no idea about shifters/cranks/ cassettes etc. I have a wheelset but no idea what is the best combo, would prefer shimano.

simondbarnes

What do you want to do with it?

fudge9202
    Free Member

On and off road, plan to cycle to and from a local trail 12 miles each way. Would also like to bikepack with my son in the Spring.

cynic-al
    Free Member

XTR and Dura Ace are the best.

Budget, gear ratios, brake type etc?

theboatman
    Free Member

Different bikes, but roughly the same use, at the budget end I run 9 speed sora, on a parts bin Sram Rival 10 speed compact, an xt 11-32 rear cassette, and TRP spyres. Covers a lot of miles without any grumble. So, as per Al, what you looking to spend and what freehub is on your wheels?

ciquta
    Free Member

i’d do sram 1×10 or 1×11 with Shimano cassette, depending on the brakes you want (hydro or mec)
    Biggest tyres you can fit and COWchipper handlebar

i have a Fargo 2 2015, i am selling it to make one like that

otsdr
    Free Member

105 hydros if you don’t mind the ugly brifters, Ultegra otherwise. Make sure to get the PM calipers, not the Flat Mount ones.

midlifecrashes

If you asked the question 5 years ago:

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/chainsets/170-shimano-deore-fct611-10-speed-triple-chainset-silver-483626t/

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/gear-shifters/black-shimano-105-st5703-10-speed-triple-road-sti-levers/

Pick an 11-36 cassette, a 105 triple front mech, a 9 speed MTB rear mech and you’ll have enough gears to keep up with anyone unloaded or climb most hills loaded. BB7, Spyre or Hy-Rd brakes.

Doing it this way rules you out of hydraulic brakes and is heavier(but so is the Fargo, compared to lots), but will give you a huge gear range so you don’t need to faff changing cassettes or chainrings for a different type of ride.

Ioneonic

Info here:
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/building-a-fargo

But really we need to know budget/gearing/brake preference as per cynic-al

Teetosugars
    Free Member

A mix of 105 and SLX Here..
    BB7s, and XT Hubs on Mavic rims. Woodchippers, natch..

hooja
    Free Member

I too have just bought one, did you buy the large from Pedals in Edinburgh? I noticed it had gone, straight after i bought the medium
    Just waiting for it to turn up and then building will commence., I’m going for 1×11
    Heres the spec:
    Stans crest wheels
    Skin wall ardents, 2.4 front and 2.25 rear
    woodchippers
    Sram force cx1 1×11 shifters
    sram nx r mech
    11-42 sunrace cassette
    32t middleburn Rs8 crank
    Trp spyre brakes
    Thomson stem and layback post
    Cambium for the ass
    Hope for the spinny bits

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Help me spec my new Salsa Fargo frameset’ is closed to new replies.