• This topic has 617 replies, 63 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by kennyp.
Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 618 total)
  • STW Chess Tournament – anyone up for it?
  • kennyp
    Free Member

@kennyp Sorry about that last game, had completely forgotten about repeated moves causing a draw…mind you I was pretty much out of ideas by then😄

No need to apologise. By that point I was happy with a draw. I did wonder if you’d forgotten about that rule. I didn’t think you had done it deliberately as you were ahead in material. About 10 or 12 moves before that I had a chance to capture your rook but moved my bishop to the wrong square. After that I was totally on the defensive. I was out of ideas too I admit. Had you just traded pieces I think you’d have won. Good close game though, and a marathon at about 5 weeks or something like that.

crazy-legs

Fairplay, you’ve totally undone me 😀

I’ve just gone through the game analysis of the one we’ve just played @gauss1777 , and all it came up with was a list of blunders from both of us! 🤣
    I played the endgame OK, it was my early/middle bit that really needs some work. I’ve put in a rematch request anyway.

gauss1777
    Free Member

all it came up with was a list of blunders from both of us! 🤣

Shh don’t tell everyone 😂

Rematch accepted.

I’m not sure of the etiquette, but I shall offer ongoing rematches to those that I’m playing on here. I fully understand if anyone does not want to accept for any reason.

kennyp
    Free Member

Is there any way of starting the second round before the first has finished? Reason being that there’s only one game outstanding in the first round, and the result won’t affect who qualifies for the second round (I don’t think). That game’s been going on for nearly a month and only six moves have been made, so we could be looking at June or July.

Not complaining per se, more that I’ve really been enjoying both tournaments and keen to play more. Most of the games I’ve played have either been narrow wins or narrow defeats, so looks like this is the ideal level for me.

Or we start a third tournament, maybe 24 hours per move.

In the meantime if anyone wants a friendly game……

grum
    Free Member

I’m up for a game any time username is grahamwynne

kennyp
    Free Member

Ta, just sent you a game invite.

bugeye
    Free Member

Waiting is just part of these sort of tournaments…. some people play fast, some slow.

You can post open games on Chess.com so you can play as many games as you want while you wait, in fact too many if you’re not carefull!

irc

Or we start a third tournament, maybe 24 hours per move.

Waiting is just part of daily chess. I’m currently in 15 touraments but only 10 active games.

Happy to organise another tournament if the interest is there. 1 day per move. Similiar to last with groups of 5 with top 2 going through.

Anyone interested reply with chess.com username. If we can get 20 or more that is enough for a viable tourament.

I’ll wait until I see how many names are in before setting it up so I can choose the most suitable group size. 25 is 5×5. 28 coud be 4×7 with 3 going though etc.

Rio

I enjoyed the original tournament even though I got embarassingly thrashed, so I’d be up for another one. User name xebeq.

gauss1777
    Free Member

Since saying much the same as kennyp last week, I’ve played several games against people on here and not won a single game : (
    However, I’m keen to be included:
    Django2357

Ps 24hr a move works well.

fruitbat

In the interests of keeping the average rating low, I’ll go for it – Chess.com username =  KevinPhilipsBong

lowey

Yes please.

flushthetoilet

zilog6128

Yeah I’d be up for one with 24hrs/move. Zilog6128 on chess as well

crewlie

Me too,  crewlie on chess,com

rony
    Free Member

Yes please -Chessron99

kennyp
    Free Member

Me too. It’s kprook.

ewangronk

I’ll go in for another as well. Enjoyed first round but the 5 days per move is a bit long in my opinion and loses a lot of momentum, 24 hrs more than enough.

Add me in, I’m neverumind on chess.com

grum
    Free Member

I’m in: grahamwynne

crazy-legs

In please, jlyon77.
    24hrs per move is fine although if there’s a way of specifying that no game can run for longer than (say) 5 days overall, that would cut the waiting time down a lot as well.

MWyer
    Free Member

Yes please, MWyer. You know me, we are currently having a good match!

tommyhine

yes please, tomhine82

sofaman

+1 if still space: sofamanuk

irc

crazy-legs

In please, jlyon77.
    24hrs per move is fine although if there’s a way of specifying that no game can run for longer than (say) 5 days overall, that would cut the waiting time down a lot as well.

I have looked at the time thing. Other than making it 24hrs rather than 3 days, 5 days etc, and making it a no vacation tournament there is no way of enforcing faster moves after a tourament starts.

The best suggestion I have seen is that if there is one or two games left to play in a round that the players involved arrange between themselves to set up an hour or two when they will both be online and play the game out in one session. That is of course completely up to them.

Probably easier to make faster moves in one session than coming back to a game after a day or longer and needing to study it again before moving.

irc

MWyer
    Yes please, MWyer. You know me, we are currently having a good match!

Yes, think you are edging it, but some play left.

Entries for T3 so far.

xebeq
    Django2357
    KevinPhilipsBong
    flushthetoilet
    Zilog6128
    crewlie
    Chessron99
    kprook
    neverumind
    grahamwynne
    jlyon77
    MWyer
    tomhine82
    sofamanuk
    irc1979

zilog6128

Probably easier to make faster moves in one session than coming back to a game after a day or longer and needing to study it again before moving.

yeah this was the mistake I made with most of the games in the first tourny (having not played one before!)

gauss1777
    Free Member

study it again before moving

ah, that’s why you kept beating me ; )

grum
    Free Member

Good game @kennyp – though it got a bit torturous at the end, I’m sure I should have been able to finish it much sooner but you were like the black knight in the Holy Grail 🙂

lord_summerisle
    Free Member

Was fun, eventho i got resoundedly thrashed so up for another one.

BeardyMark

kennyp
    Free Member

Good game @kennyp – though it got a bit torturous at the end, I’m sure I should have been able to finish it much sooner but you were like the black knight in the Holy Grail 🙂

I enjoyed it too. Other than that moment I clicked to commit to a move and then instantly realised I had missed an attack on my queen. I could have kicked myself at that moment. My own stupid fault though. At the end I was trying to capture your last couple of pawns in the hope of forcing a draw. With hindsight though the polite thing to do would have been to resign instead of dragging it out. I gather that’s generally good chess etiquette so apologies. Well played though and anytime you fancy a rematch give me a shout.

grum
    Free Member

I don’t mind at all even though it was annoying, ha! In that situation it’s up to me to be able to force check mate and I’m sure I had opportunities that a better player than me could have taken.

You were very good at making it difficult for me though!

Blundering to lose your queen is gutting, I have done it way too many times…

2bit

I’m up for T2 as long as it’s better than T2!

2Bitbish

dannybgoode

Go on then – I am on an appalling run of form at the moment so happy to be pawn fodder for someone. Chalk me down for T3 🙂

crazy-legs

I was playing the computer the other day and it came up with an opening move I’ve never seen before. Within about 6 moves I was being thrashed.

So I tried using the same opening move against @gauss1777 in one of our daily games, we’ve been playing pretty regularly.

Note to self: do not try and be clever with unfamiliar openings, it doesn’t work…

irc

17 In so far for 3rd tournament. I’ll let in run for a few more days for any more interest.

xebeq
    Django2357
    KevinPhilipsBong
    flushthetoilet
    Zilog6128
    crewlie
    Chessron99
    kprook
    neverumind
    grahamwynne
    jlyon77
    MWyer
    tomhine82
    sofamanuk
    irc1979
    2Bitbish
    dannybgoode

irc

Bump for the evening crowd. Any more for STW Chess 3? Reply with your chess.com user name.

irc

No more takers. I’ll set it up as a 4 groups tournament then. 3 of 4 and 1 of 5 with top 2 going through. That leaves 3 spaces for any latecomers before it starts.

gauss1777
    Free Member

Sounds good, cheers.

kennyp
    Free Member

Brilliant thanks.

lowey

Thanks for sorting.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

I’m in if it’s not too late was never great is the name

Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 618 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.