• This topic has 617 replies, 63 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by kennyp.
Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 618 total)
  • STW Chess Tournament – anyone up for it?
  • Bianchi-Boy
    Free Member

Just wanted to say thank you to @dannybgoode for setting it up.

dannybgoode

@kennyp. No it’s 5 days per move so nice and leisurely. You can turn on notifications if you install the app otherwise just keep checking but at 5 days per move you don’t need to worry if you forget to check one day.

nosedive
    Free Member

This is a great idea thanks for setting it up. So do we all have 3 games on the go?

dannybgoode

@nosedive. Yes, and then everyone will have at least another 3 as the opposite colour (I think!) and then the top 2 from each group progress.

nosedive
    Free Member

Good fun so far… will have to stop for the day soon though Ive had 3 pints already

kennyp
    Free Member

Thanks Danny. That could make for some seriously long games though. And thanks for setting it up.

Another wee question for chess.com regulars. At the top and bottom it shows the pieces captured. The white ones show up well but the black ones are very hard to see against the background. Is there a way round this?

kelron
    Free Member

You can choose different themes in the settings somewhere.

i_like_food

It has begun! I’ve made three moves and still have all my pieces. That’s a win in my mind.

Now, chess trash talk…? Is it even possible 🤔

grum
    Free Member

grahamwynne on chess.com – add me please! If it’s not too late

jimmy

Ah c’mon @nosedive you’ll play better when drunk 😉

wors

Just made my first 3 moves 😄

uphillcursing
    Free Member

What a kicking I am getting. Still, all part of the learning curve.

kennyp
    Free Member

It’s quite addictive this online chess thingy. Our group’s already on its second round of games. Is there a limit to how many times you play each other person in the group?

iancity1
    Free Member

Quite enjoying this but struggling…3 games on the go at the same time, trying to snatch 5 minutes in between games of COD, or ludo with the little un is trying…lost my Queen today while daughter shouting come on Daddy throw the dice 🙂
    Feel I need to organise my time a bit better !

dannybgoode

@iancity1. You have 5 days to make each move do not need to panic and rush. Take your time and enjoy 🙂

iancity1
    Free Member

Well, thats my first (or second, after the Queen) mistake, I thought it was 5 days per game, not 5 days per move – can I start again 😉

dannybgoode

If people enjoy it I’ll happily set up another. Will set up an STW chess club on chess.com also 🙂

nosedive
    Free Member

Who is ‘sillysillySTW’ ? You need to move first. Though to be fair its given me a chance to think about the other games

jimmy

I’m with IanCity – tough to pay attention.  That’s my excuse for letting nosedive beat me anyway!

nosedive
    Free Member

Was a good game Jimmy! I made a couple of mistakes this afternoon. Looking forward to getting stuck into the rematch

i_like_food

I’m getting crushed. I’d like to say it’s to do with sharing my attention, but that would be a lie.

sillysilly
    Free Member

Me – I’ll log in and make first move tonight. Don’t worry about me deliberating moves for 5 days – total beginner.

seosamh77
    Free Member

As suspected, I’m getting skelped about all over the shop! 😆

nosedive
    Free Member

No worries sillysilly quite happy to have a long burn game. Good luck!

uphillcursing
    Free Member

I just realised that the number next to the user name is the ranking. No wonder I am getting spanked. Nearly 1400 i ask you.

si77

Anyone taken to popping pills and staring at the ceiling yet?

With this Champion’s League style format can we have a Europey League for the 3rd and 4th place finishers? A place to hone their skills against more even opposition? Asking for a friend 😉

wors

I’m currently getting spanked by Steve mcd and fatcroe 😞😞

seosamh77
    Free Member

si77
    Anyone taken to popping pills and staring at the ceiling yet?

With this Champion’s League style format can we have a Europey League for the 3rd and 4th place finishers? A place to hone their skills against more even opposition? Asking for a friend 😉

haha, yes, fine idea. 😆

dannybgoode

Yes I can, once the first rounds are complete set up a tournament for those that didn’t progress 🙂

You can invite each other for games as well either rated or unrated just for practice.

kelron
    Free Member

I’m waiting for my opponents to realise I don’t actually know how to play chess.

jimmy

Well,  I’m getting whooped but it’s fun.

i_like_food

I’m really enjoying this, even though I’m 0 and 2.

jimmy

Maintaining my 100% record here.

crewlie

Enjoying this, I haven’t played since my wife, who doesn’t really play, beat me on a giant open air board at Les Arcs, must be 10 years ago. Not that I’m a bad loser…

I really like the relaxed pace, but it does mean that whatever I had planned for my next move is forgotten by the time I come to make it 😜

chipps

I’m pretty terrible and have never played online either. But count me in!

kennyp
    Free Member

Will set up an STW chess club on chess.com also

That would be great. Our group games are all done now. Enjoyed all six matches, including the ones I lost. Happy to play anyone else that fancies a game while we wait for the next round to start.

Has reignited my love of chess.

iancity1
    Free Member

Really enjoyed the first round of games (and somehow fluked 2nd place). We just hang around now waiting for all the games to finish then presume we will get some notification of the next games?
    Kennyp, if I can work out how, I’ll give you a game 🙂

richwales

Is there any way of viewing the tournament World Cup wallchart style? Other game results, progress etc.

bugeye
    Free Member
    jimmy

@kennyp – are you kprook?  I’ll give you a game. I lost all mine so am out – no pressure not to lose to me…

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 618 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.