Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 421 total)
  • STW Chess Tournament – anyone up for it?
  • Premier Icon dti

I’m in
    User name is dtcaban
    Thanks

Premier Icon richwales

Can you add richwales please?

Premier Icon dannybgoode

@richwales – invite sent via chess.com 🙂

Premier Icon jimmy

I’m STW-jimmy – count me in!

Premier Icon irc
    Free Member

Having not played an online tournament is there a link to how the time controls work. Not finding much help on Chess.com Time control Set as 5 days. Is that play your whole game in max 5 days per player?

Premier Icon jordyboy
    Free Member

It’s normally 5 days per move.
    Can you please count me in!
    Jordan_ke

Premier Icon i_like_food

@dannybgoode Yes please. Am rubbish, see me an cannon fodder.

Just set up a chess.com account my username is i_like_more_food

Thanks 🙂

Premier Icon rony
    Free Member

Just clicked and in as- chessron99.I am down as unrated but feel it should read underrated.

Premier Icon dannybgoode

@irc. It’s 5 days per move. The entrants will be split into groups of 4 (automagically) and you will play each player in your group concurrently as white and black.

The top 2 from each group will progress to the next round and so on. It won’t be a quick thing, rather something to while away the evenings and gives players the chance to think about their moves 🙂

Premier Icon dannybgoode

Latest batch of invites sent. Heading toward 30 players now – think I will l eave registration open until Friday and hit start Saturday so anyone else wanting to join either click the following link or drop me a note of your username on chess.com and I’ll send you an invite…

https://www.chess.com/tournament/the-inaugural-stw-chess-championship/join/89301d

Premier Icon seosamh77

I’m rubbish, but why not, in, sounds good!

Premier Icon dannybgoode

I’m rubbish, but why not, in, sounds good!

Looking at the ratings of those who have joined… Well let’s just say it’s more Fool’s Mate than Queen’s Gambit (myself very much included in that) :D.

Premier Icon dannybgoode

Quick little bump on this should anyone want to join in the fun 🙂

Click the link below to join or drop me a note of your username on chess.com and I’ll will fire you an invite:

https://www.chess.com/tournament/the-inaugural-stw-chess-championship/join/89301d

Premier Icon seosamh77

I played a couple of 30 minute games last night to get a bit of practice in, I haven’t played in a couple of years, won both. This means I’m doomed to failure in this comp, probably in my first game! 😆

btw what’s the format for the tourney? Is it just a straight knock out, on 1 day games or something?

Premier Icon dannybgoode

@seosamh77 – 5 day per move tourney. Groups of 4 playing all group games concurrently, top 2 from each group progressing. Will take a while to complete but gives everyone the chance of at least playing a few games.

Premier Icon seosamh77

champions league then! cool, looking forward to it! 🙂

Premier Icon 136stu

Thanks for this OP, just joined, same username as here. Not played since high school (40 years ago)!

Premier Icon 2bit
    Free Member

Think I’ve signed up – 2Bitbish

Premier Icon lowey

I;m in. Flushthetoilet.

Premier Icon aide

Joined up, looking forward to it (aide46)

Premier Icon dannybgoode

Excellent – up to 34 players now so thanks for all the entries so far. Looking good 🙂

Premier Icon zilog6128

Well I wasn’t going to bother because there was a round 32 already and I’m shite so would provide no-one with a challenge, but I see a couple of others have signed up so will give it a go anyway 🤣
    EDIT: weirdly, seems I actually registered before anyway automatically when I clicked on the link just to check it out!!

Premier Icon dannybgoode

because there was a round 32

The chess.com hamsters can work out numbers not divisible by 4 I think :). You ned up in a group of 3 from memory…

Premier Icon i_like_food

4 games simultaneously! 🤯 I’m going to need cooling fans on my head…

Premier Icon dannybgoode

@i_like_food. Another reason to have 5 days per move. Means you have plenty of time to concentrate properly on each game 🙂

Premier Icon iancity1
    Free Member

Followed the link and created an account. *think* I have joined (iancity29).
    What now, is something sent from you, from chess.com?

Looking forward to this, although same as most (or so they say) on here, pretty rubbish !

Premier Icon dannybgoode

Final call for entries into the tournament. Will be hitting the start button tomorrow morning 🙂

Premier Icon seosamh77

Good stuff! Game on!

Premier Icon paule
    Free Member

I’m hopefully in, pkgelliott. Only ever play chess with the kids, so probably pretty poor… but that seems to fit nicely, unless everyone else is sandbagging!

Premier Icon uphillcursing
    Free Member

Candyfromababy is in. (i think). Will be the sacrifice on the alter for all of you. Just spent a day doing the online lessons to learn ho to play.

Premier Icon dannybgoode

Brill – we’re up to 41 players so a smashing entry list. I’ll hit start around 9am tomorrow 🙂

Premier Icon crewlie

Looks like I might be in as well, oh well that’s an easy win for someone 🙂

Premier Icon Bianchi-Boy
    Free Member

Hope I haven’t missed the boat

Marmite4u

Free Member

So how do the games start?

Premier Icon fruitbat

I appear to have joined but I don’t really know how! Username – KevinPhilipsBong

Premier Icon dannybgoode

Right the play button has been hit and your first games should have appeared :). Good luck everyone and feel free to chat, discuss or otherwise intimidate your opponents here by saying things like Bb4 – hmm, interesting. I think Qc2 would have given better development potential etc 🙂

Premier Icon lowey

Three matches. Made my first two moves. Expect to be humiliated tbh.

Free Member

Looks like i picked an apt username.

Premier Icon kennyp
    Free Member

My three games are underway. Couple of quick questions though.

Does the 5 day limit mean 5 days for each player ie in theory a game could last 10 days? Can’t really see this happening with any of my games, and not in a good way!!

Secondly, is there anything that notifies you your opponent has made a move? Or is it just a case of checking regularly?

And lastly, does the clock count down to show your remaining time? Still showing as 5 days.

Enjoying it so far though. Years and years since I played a human opponent.

Free Member

I cant help you there @Kennyp. Only learned how the pieces move a couple of days ago after watching the Netflix program. I do seem to be getting notifications though.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 421 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.