• This topic has 617 replies, 63 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by kennyp.
Viewing 18 posts - 601 through 618 (of 618 total)
  • STW Chess Tournament – anyone up for it?
  • irc

Stevo
    T9 was intended as a tournamrnt for those dropping out of the current STW tourament in round 1.

Giving them games rather than a long wait. Until if finished.

Also games closer in ratings.

Anyway I’ve started T9. Good luck everyone.

Meanwhile I have had a doh!!!! moment. Away bothying for a couple of nights with no phone signal. Realised I was in a tournament with a 1 day limit and no vacation allowed. So lost a few on time. Slight rating dip. Hey ho.

irc

An apology.

As I said above T9 was intended for the losers of round 1 of of T8.

So the losing 8 were invited. I looked at the tourament today and saw players were up to 8. Great!. I started it.

I later realised that it had started with 6 first round losers and me and Stevo. So sorry if anyone thinks they were deliberately excluded from a chance of playing in this one. I should have checked the players before starting it.

T8 is down to 3 games. Once it finishes I will start another tourament open to everyone if there is interest in it.

dti

Thanks
    I’m in T8 bring it on

stevomcd
    Free Member

Ah, sorry, I knew that but since you were opening up invites I assumed we’d just ditched that idea and were going with a new tournament.

I would happily withdraw but my rating would take a hell of a beating! Best to stay in and enjoy.

crazy-legs

How’s it going in the world of STW Chess?

Round 3 of the Daily Chess Championship Tournament has just started so suddenly I’m up against a host of 2000+ players. I’ll admit that the first 2 rounds I got through on the basis of luck and timeouts – I reckon at least 2/3rds of my wins have been timeouts.

Won the first game though – I was just about holding my own and the guy absolutely blundered his queen for free and resigned immediately! I feel so bad at winning like that, I just didn’t deserve it. 🤷‍♂️

kennyp
    Free Member

How’s it going in the world of STW Chess?

Well that’s T8 just finished. Frustrating (though still enjoyable for me). Up against higher rated players and finished with just one draw, the rest defeats. However I did get myself into some decent positions, just couldn’t finish the games off. Very frustrating. Overall no complaints, I was well beaten.

When T10 starts count me (kprook) in. I’ve really enjoyed these, particularly playing with the near certainty that no one is cheating.

irc

My STW games have mainly been pretty tight despite usually being the higher rated player. Scoring well in T9 but it isn’t reflective of how tight a lot of the games have been well into the game.

crazy-legs

Haha, I’m being taken to pieces in the Championship Tournament now.

At “my” level, 1600 – 1700, I can usually hold my own, mistakes aren’t the be all and end all cos you can usually rely on your opponent doing similar. It’s not that you’re both equally good, it’s more like “equally average”!

Up against 2000+, that just doesn’t happen. Even the most minor mistakes are punished immediately. I’ve got accuracy levels of 90% in some games and it’s nowhere close to being good enough. It’s like a different game at this level.

irc

Putting it in perspective a 2000 rating would rank in the top 100 players in Scotland over the board. 2200 players are capable of giving the world champion a game as in drawing in a simultaneous display.

Many years ago I got mugged by the current 25yh best player in Scotland. A mutual friend introduced us and just said “I think he plays chess as well”

https://www.chessscotland.com/grading/top-100-published/

ctk
    Free Member

Its a sign of how fantastic a game Chess is that we can play against much better players but still hang in there.

When I play higher ranked players I often cant work out why I am losing- which is frustrating.

When I play against similar ranked players I can see my mistakes that have caused me to lose which is even more frustrating!

Klunk
    Free Member

seems it’s all gone a bit pete tong in the world of chess with Magnus resigning on move 2 (presumably in protest) of his latest game against Hans. It does seem to be the fate of all great chess players to go completely bonkers.

dti

What channel are you picking up the latest chess news?

Klunk
    Free Member

the games and commentary popup on my utube feed.

kennyp
    Free Member

Any likelihood of another STW tournament being run sometime soon? I’ve enjoyed all the others so far.

ctk
    Free Member

Magnus thinks he is cheating- boggles my mind this high level chess! His interview with Lex Fridman is interesting.

I’m also up for another tournament.

dti

Yes another tournament please

dti

With his teams of support players analysing everything part of me thinks that Magnus would not be doing this unless he has something.

kennyp
    Free Member

Well I’m enjoying it so far despite blundering away three queens in little over 24 hours. Bad even by my own low standards. Still feeling rusty after not playing much since T8 (that’s my excuse and I’m sticking to it!!).

Viewing 18 posts - 601 through 618 (of 618 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.