Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 352 total)
  • STW Chess Tournament – anyone up for it?
  • Premier Icon dannybgoode

Anyone fancy getting all Queens Gambit and having an STW chess tournament? I can set one up on chess.com and have it so free members can play so no cost involved or choose another completely free platform – there’s a couple of good ones.

Would set it to say 7 days per move also so people can take their time and fit it round other commitments.

Note I’m pretty rubbish but enjoy playing (online rating hovers around 1200) and I’m sure there are much stronger players on here 🙂 but would just be for fun.

Comment if interested and so long as at least a handful of people express an interest I’ll set something up.

Premier Icon grum

I’m in. Already got a chess.com account. I’m also not amazing, can’t remember my rating.

Premier Icon brownsauce
    Free Member

Count me in 🙂

Chess.com is wall to wall with cheats , adverts & trash talkers

Lichess.com would be a more civilized site to host forum games imo.

Premier Icon burko73

“7 days per move…” How does that work then? If I make a move you have up to 7 days to make your move? Surely that’ll take ages? I’ve never played online chess so excuse me.

Premier Icon dannybgoode

Yes that’s exactly how it works and yes some games can take a while. People usually make their moves quicker though. I could set it at 3 days but that can be a bit quick if you’ve got 4 or 5 games on the go 🙂

As for Lichess – I am easy but all the online platforms have cheats and this will be an STW only tournament so hopefully people will play it with a straight bat. Just means people setting up another account possibly as chess.com is the most popular.

Let’s gauge interest and we can take it from there.

Premier Icon brownsauce
    Free Member

^^^ you can change the time control so games have a max limit anywhere from years to 30 seconds.
    Yes the pros play games that are done in under a minute.
    You also have the choice of correspondence games – where each player only has to make 1 move a day at their convienience or real time games in the live arena where they are completed during a single session.

Premier Icon Klunk
    Free Member

gave up playing on-line too many people turn into bots when they start to lose.

Premier Icon dannybgoode

@Klunk. They’re much better at spotting cats now. It’s fairly easy for the software to spot when a weak player suddenly starts playing perfect moves and bans come quick these days :).

@brownsauce
    – indeed, just thought a nice leisurely correspondence tournament would be easiest for everyone to fit in. Could always set up an STW ‘clubs’ within chess.com and people could do live games as and when they wished

Premier Icon bentandbroken

The only chess games I enjoy are on “Really Bad Chess”, it’s the only time I stand a chance 😀

Premier Icon dannybgoode

@bentandbroken – g’wan, join in. I’m pretty terrible myself. My biggest issue is getting into a reasonable position and then making a horrific blunder! My end game with only a handful of pieces left is very weak too 🙂

Premier Icon grum

Yup please do – I looked up my rating and it’s 745, that’s really bad isn’t it?

Premier Icon DrT
    Free Member

I’d be up for it. Also pretty hopeless at chess.

Premier Icon sillysilly

I’m up for it, pretty terrible too. Prob makes it more fun.

Premier Icon nostrils
    Free Member

Have been on an awful losing streak on Chess.com lately, Kiz92 if anyone wants a game. Normally play 30min rapid.

Premier Icon DrJ
    Free Member

Do we have to play wearing awesome sixties outfits ?

Premier Icon gruffj
    Free Member

I’d be up for it. Chess.com works for me.

Premier Icon wors

I’ll be up for that

Premier Icon irc
    Free Member

Possibly interested. Used to be a very average club player. 1500 rating. I’ve never played online.

What form of tournament? I used to play Swiss system weekend tournaments. 5 rounds. Basically random draw round 1 thereafter winners played each other, losers played each other etc.

Wouldn’t work with a move a week though as 40 move game would take over a year.

I suppose with online chess, depending on the number of players, it could be all play all with games running simultaneously.

Premier Icon nosedive
    Free Member

I’m in and I am also rubbish. I am Nosedive37 on chess.com

Premier Icon kennyp
    Free Member

I’d be up for it too. Enjoy chess, pretty rubbish at it (I suspect if I had a rating it would at best just creep into four figures) but have never played online (only against a computer opponent).

Premier Icon kelron
    Free Member

I’m bad but I’ll have a go.

Premier Icon 2bit
    Free Member

I’m up for it.

Used to be ok & play for school & county but that was many many moons & not played since ( really bad chess app aside!)

Am going to buy a new chess set after finishing the Queen’s gambit last week so this be perfect.

Premier Icon MWyer
    Free Member

Count me in. MWyer on chess.com.

Premier Icon si77

I’ll have a go.

Premier Icon Bianchi-Boy
    Free Member

I’d like to join in as well. I’ve just got an acc on chess.com. Not played very much lately but I’m enjoying it a lot.

Premier Icon dannybgoode

Right we seem to have plenty of players and chess.com seems to be the most common platform.

If you haven’t already can you pop a note of your chess.com username and I’ll look at getting something set up.

Premier Icon stevomcd

I’ll play. stevo_mcd on chess.com

Premier Icon dannybgoode

Early invites sent out. If you wanna play either pop your chess.com username here or PM me 🙂

Premier Icon dannybgoode

And link to the tournament here. Don’t know if you can request to join and I approve you? Perhaps someone would be kind enough to try for me…

https://www.chess.com/tournament/the-inaugural-stw-chess-championship/join/89301d

Premier Icon geomickb
    Free Member

I just clicked the link and its looks like it added me? geomickb

Premier Icon kennyp
    Free Member

I’m on as kprook.

Premier Icon dannybgoode

@geomickb – yes added. Thanks for testing that.

@kennyp
    – I can find kprookie but not kprook? Perhaps easier to just click the link?

Premier Icon kelron
    Free Member

I’ve joined as idkay. I might be worse at usernames than I am at chess.

Premier Icon Rio

Haven’t used chess.com for years but I clicked on the link to see what it’s all about and it seems to have added me (xebeq), so I guess I’m in. My chess is appalling!

Premier Icon tommyhine
    Free Member

I’ll join in. haven’t played online for ages but enjoy a game every now and again

Premier Icon sillysilly

Clicked the link, looks like I’m in. Should be good fun.

Premier Icon dannybgoode

We’re up to 9 players :). Would be good to get to 15-20 and then I can hit the start button 🙂

Premier Icon ewangronk

I’ve joined through your link, username neverumind.

Premier Icon dannybgoode

Now up to 13 player. If anyone has recently tried to join and it’s said tournament full please re-click the link. I had inadvertently changed a setting. Thanks to @irc for flagging this to me 🙂

Premier Icon RamseyNeil

I’m in , used to be ok but haven’t played for 20 years so never played online . Hope the rules haven’t changed .

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 352 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.