• This topic has 617 replies, 63 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by kennyp.
Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 618 total)
  • STW Chess Tournament – anyone up for it?
  • gruffj
    Free Member

Sign me up – epynt

stevomcd
    Free Member

Sign me up. Stevo_mcd over there.

irc

Stevo_mcd, epynt invited.

Still a few invites to be accepted.

Crewlie

epynt

flushthetoilet

Marzipan1994

Parkedtiger

Scandal42

stevo_mcd

Wasnevergreat

22 signed up so far. (link only shows players who have accepted invites)

https://www.chess.com/tournament/stw-chess-club-t2/players

seosamh77
    Free Member

in, cheers! 🙂

lowey

I’m in. Easy picking for my opponents

robbo1234biking

Thanks IRC – I seem to be ok for about 5 moves and then get to worried about being defensive and drift away from winning. Had a good game against @kennyp earlier in the week. Looking forward to it.

irc

Lowey , I take it you are lowey on Chess.com and not lowey7 or lowey1?

Gritstone

I’ll join user Gritstone

Gritstone

Sorry Gritstone62

irc

@Gritstone

Gritstone62 invited.

irc

Currently 19 players in. Plus 4 invited and waiting to accept invites..

Gritstone62
    Marzipan1994
    Parkedtiger
    Scandal42

Waiting for @lowey to confirm Chess.com username.

Which makes 24. Thinking of just starting if we get one more player so we have 5 groups of 5. Barring any last minute rush of interest of course.

25 works well as top 2 from each group gives 2 groups of 5 in R2.

lowey

I’m in already mate.

2bit

I’m up for it. 2bitbish

👍

irc

2bitbish invited.

@Lowey
    , can you just confirm “lowey” is your Chess.com username. Not lowey1, lowey7 etc. Numerous lowey variants on the site.

lowey

Flushthetoilet

irc

Cheers. My mistake. LOsing track!

muddymole
    Free Member

Can I join (the battle for the wooden spoon). User: Muddymole.

irc

@Muddymole invited. Should be a message on the site now to click and accept invite.

@cteagles
    – Marzipan1994 – still to accept invite to join.

@scandal42
    Scandal42 to accept invite.

Once all 3 accept that is tourament full at 25 players at which point it should autostart. Failing which it defaults to a 12 noon start on Sun 24th.

irc

All places filled so I’ve clicked start. Should start shortly.

Good luck all.

gauss1777
    Free Member

Thanks again irc. I’m looking forward to it, but also a tad nervous 😀

irc

@gauss1777

I’m looking forward to it, but also a tad nervous 😀

It’s only a game. I’ve buggered up my position in one of my current daily games by move 5. Live and learn! My opponent is higher rated so I was likely to lose anyway but I wouldn’t want a bad position this fast.

robbo1234biking

Yeh I am very low-key rated compared to everyone else but I learn from it and it is something different to do.

tommyhine

Am I too late to join this one. username is tomhine82. Full of imagination I am!

irc

Afraid so. Can’t add extra players after it has started.

gauss1777
    Free Member

In the tournament table what do the tie break points mean? Are they to decide between two players on the same score?

grum
    Free Member

Am I the only person who finds the layout/format of the tournament super confusing? I can’t work out the table thingy with the little hover-over match previews at all. Maybe it will make sense in the morning!

crazy-legs

0 for a loss
    1/2 for a draw
    1 for a win

Just means you don’t get a non-scorimg game.

I’ve just had two very close matches with @beiciwr64 . Won one, lost one. Good fun!

beiciwr64
    Free Member

@crazy-legs
    Yes, very enjoyable thanks.

stevomcd
    Free Member

The tie-break points are indeed to decide between people on the same score. Or, indeed, to act as a tie-break… 😉

As I understand it, it’s calculated by adding up the scores of the people you defeated and half the total score of people you drew against.

https://support.chess.com/article/314-how-do-ties-in-tournaments-work

gauss1777
    Free Member

So, I’m enjoying the STW Chess Club T2 tournament and have surprisingly found myself getting through to the next stage : )
    I think I’ve even improved somewhat during this time, however I got totally outclassed by epynt and will need to improve quite a bit more to stand any chance in the knockout part. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to keep up my practise? Whilst groups 2 to 5 have finished, group 1 is not half way through, so any minor gains will be long forgotten by the time we go further. Should I just play randoms?
    If anyone else is in the same boat and fancies keeping things ticking along then I’m Django2357 on there. I’d happily play 24hr a move games.
    How is the first tournament coming along? (is thre any way to view this if you’re not part of the tournament yourself?)

crazy-legs

How is the first tournament coming along? (is there any way to view this if you’re not part of the tournament yourself?)

93 games complete, 7 remaining.

Finished all my games ages ago so because I was getting a bit rusty I did a few games against the computer last night and got annihilated. I need to work on that before the second round starts!

@gauss1777
    – will try and add you for a 24hr game in a bit.

irc

This link should let you see how the first tournament is going.

https://www.chess.com/tournament/the-inaugural-stw-chess-championship

I’ve asked you for a 24hr game via chess.com. THere should be a challenge to accept in your notifications and/or email.

The other option is either random games or joining another tournament from the upoming list. Probably best to choose one with a grading limit to keep things more even,

For example.

https://www.chess.com/tournament/obsessed-aficionados for players graded under 1500

If you click the join button you will get a notification from Chess.com once the tournament is full and it starts.

There seems to always be a big gaps as the games in each round finish. For example I am curently taking part in 16 tournaments but only have 13 active games.

gauss1777
    Free Member

Thanks crazy-legs and irc. 16 tournaments with 13 active games sounds huge!
    I found in the group stage that I benefited from the slower pace, but if the move took days I’d forget my train of thought and even make rash moves when I saw my opponent move, in the hope my opponent would make a move then rather than in another couple of days. All good fun.

kennyp
    Free Member

@gauss1777 I’ve just sent you a 24 hour per move game request too. At least I hope I have, some of the chess.com interface is still a bit beyond me.

gauss1777
    Free Member

Thanks kennyp I just noticed that. I’m enjoying the games started today, I made a big blunder in a move against jlyon and then another poor move, so things are not going overly well. However, they do seem a good games to learn from – ie just a bit better than me. I find the start of games the hardest part at the moment.

kennyp
    Free Member

And if anyone else fancies a game while we wait for the next rounds of the tournaments to start just ping me a challenge on chess.com, I’m kprook on there.

Re the blunders, yes I’ve made a good few too. The annoying things is when you look back you think “What on earth was I thinking of” for a lot of them!!

That said, some of the narrow defeats I’ve had have been really enjoyable games.

gauss1777
    Free Member

The annoying things is when you look back you think “What on earth was I thinking of” for a lot of them!!

Indeed. I often notice a split second after pressing the tick! Although not today, I was caught totally unawares. How, I do not know. On the flip side, even when things look hopeless there’s always the chance your opponent will blunder.

crewlie

@kennyp Sorry about that last game, had completely forgotten about repeated moves causing a draw…mind you I was pretty much out of ideas by then😄

crazy-legs

I made a big blunder in a move against jlyon and then another poor move, so things are not going overly well.

Behold my Knights of Power!
    😉

gauss1777
    Free Member

I made a big blunder in a move against jlyon and then another poor move, so things are not going overly well.

Behold my Knights of Power!
    😉

Fairplay, you’ve totally undone me 😀. Whereas, irc1979 is destroying me!

At least it’s confirmed my need for plenty of practise 😩😂😭

Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 618 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.