Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 421 total)
  • STW Chess Tournament – anyone up for it?
  • Premier Icon irc
    Free Member

@RamseyNeil
    Wasnevergreat added.

Tournament now set up and invitations sent. Everyone should have a message in their Chess.com inbox. The tournamen link is

https://www.chess.com/tournament/stw-chess-club-t3/join/c3decd

Still room for two more players to make up 4 groups of 5 in first round..

Premier Icon drew27
    Free Member

Am I okay to join in? I just clicked on the link and it automatically added me :s

Edit: my username aejames

Anyone feel free to add me as a friend 🙂

Premier Icon irc
    Free Member

Am I okay to join in? I just clicked on the link and it automatically added me :s

Edit: my username aejames

Thats fine. One more space left to get 20 players.

The link above is an open invitation. I’ve amended the max players to 25 so if anyone else joins via the link the current invited players will still be able to join.

Premier Icon irc
    Free Member

2BitBish, Crewlie, dannybgoode, Neverumind, tomhine82

still to click on invitation to tournamen.t

Premier Icon irc
    Free Member

@2bit

@crewlie

@dannybgoode

@ewangronk

@tommyhine

All still to accept invites. You will have a message on Chess.com or click

Premier Icon crewlie

I’m registered now I hope 👍

Premier Icon irc
    Free Member

Crewlie in. Full list of players at

https://www.chess.com/tournament/stw-chess-club-t3/players

Premier Icon 2bit
    Free Member

Me too & ta muchly!

Is it just me or can you only see messages by logging into the chess.com site rather than the app? But then don’t get any notifications from the app to tell you there’s a message?

Premier Icon drew27
    Free Member

@2bit

I think you can turn on notifications in the app. I think they are off by default.

Premier Icon irc
    Free Member

Last chance for anyone else interested in joining.

@dannybgoode

@ewangronk

@tommyhine

still to accept invites.

Starting tournament 10.00 16th.

Premier Icon irc
    Free Member

@tommyhine Still wanting to join? Click the link for join button.

Premier Icon irc
    Free Member

And we’re off. 19 players,so I made it groups of 6, 6, and 7 so everyone gets at least 10 games. Top 2 go through.

Goodluck!

Premier Icon tommyhine
    Free Member

missed the invite and missed the comp. that’s annoying!

Premier Icon irc
    Free Member

A bit feast or famine here. Yesterday morning I only had 2 daily games on the go. Then STW 3 started. Another tournament kicked off, and a tournament started round 2. Now 16 games going.

Premier Icon crazy-legs

Another tournament kicked off, and a tournament started round 2. Now 16 games going.

Don’t worry, I think from the current game with me, I won’t be lasting much longer against that pressure on my kingside!

Premier Icon zilog6128

Not made any moves yet, starting the tourney a couple of hours before the STW Zwift race was not great timing 🤣 Hopefully put some decent time in today during slack periods at work 😃

Premier Icon zilog6128

Cock!! No idea how I let that game time-out! Apologies Somafunk, was enjoying that as it was pretty even! It should definitely give you a one-time extension each game 🤣

Premier Icon grum

I’ve been really enjoying my games even though I think I’ve lost all of them. Been some good close contests where I’ve just not quite been good enough but I’m ok with that 🙂😭

Premier Icon gauss1777
    Free Member

I’m having a torrid time in all my games so far. I’m hoping my opponents do time out 😀.

Premier Icon crazy-legs

I’m having a torrid time in all my games so far.

If it helps at all @gauss1777 , I’ve always enjoyed our matches. 😉

I’m in a bit of a tight spot against @crewlie at the moment though, not sure how to get out of this one. And I have to say, I got lucky against @irc , I suspect partly because as he/she(?) mentioned earlier:

A bit feast or famine here. Yesterday morning I only had 2 daily games on the go. Then STW 3 started. Another tournament kicked off, and a tournament started round 2. Now 16 games going.

I think that might have worked in my favour! Never underestimate the power of distraction…

Premier Icon gauss1777
    Free Member

Ooh, round 2 of tournament 2 is underway. That’s exciting. Not that I think I need to consider what happens after that, is it top 2 go through?

Good luck everyone.

Premier Icon irc
    Free Member

is it top 2 go through?

Yes. Top 2 go through. Not looking good for me either as my group has top rated Stevo_McD and JLyon77 who beat me 2-0 in Round 1 of STW T3. Thinking cap on!

Premier Icon crazy-legs

JLyon77 who beat me 2-0 in Round 1 of STW T3. Thinking cap on!

I suspect the only reason I beat you @irc was because of the number of games you had on the go simultaneously.

Although if it helps at all, my “rapid play” ranking on chess.com puts us pretty equal; for some reason they give a different ranking for rapid vs daily.

Premier Icon sofaman

@zilog6128 – I think you mean me? Thought it told me you were on vacation, but then timed out.

I’m finding it pretty easy to rush into blunders in the middlegame, rather than using the 1 day – is addictive though. Chess.com game analyzer keeps mocking my blunders!

Premier Icon irc
    Free Member

@crazy-legs

I suspect the only reason I beat you @irc was because of the number of games you had on the go simultaneously.

Nah! You played better. In my white game I played a bad opening and you played really solid. THe other game you were marginally better then I blundered my queen.

Although if it helps at all, my “rapid play” ranking on chess.com puts us pretty equal; for some reason they give a different ranking for rapid vs daily.

They are different skillsets. Rapid needs fast sight of the board to avoid mistakes and still play a decent level. Daily means plenty time to think through the board and find a good moves. In theory stupid blunders should be avoided though I have disproved that. I’ve been playing on and off for 50 years so I would expect my daily rating to be higher than my rapid from experience.

Chess is like many skills in that practice and coaching/training can bring improvement but inate ability trumps it. I used to know a guy rated over 2000 who could play a game whilst driving a minibus. Guys in the rear seat had a board and told him their moves verbally. He replied with his moves without ever seeing the board. He was a good enough player to draw with Karpov albeit Karpov was playing numerous games at the same time.

https://www.chessscotland.com/documents/history/Karpov1984.htm

Premier Icon zilog6128

@sofaman yes sorry!! unfortunately had a really busy week at work and managed to let a couple more games time out that I thought I had more time on, really annoying! There’s clearly a happy medium between too much time per turn & too little 🤣

Premier Icon sofaman

Yeah – I like rapid but then suffer from the other extreme – using up a couple of minutes of one move and eventually timing out.

Need to have a plan (but had a plan against wasnevergreat and went down 😃

Premier Icon crazy-legs

I’m getting annihilated against @irc

🙁

Premier Icon crewlie

I’m getting annihilated against  @irc

🙁

I know that feeling 😐

Premier Icon drew27
    Free Member

Could the difference in the rapid rating vs the daily rating also be down to the pool of players you are playing? I suspect most daily ratings on here are from games played against other STWers so the elo points represents mo
    the STW pool whereas with rapid you are more likely to play randoms so your elo rating reflects the wider chess population.

Also, it’s easier to get a more ‘accurate’ rapid rating as you can play more games in a shorter time span. The more games you play in a shorter time period, the more accurate your rating it should be. I think that’s what affects the Glicko Difference.

Premier Icon drew27
    Free Member

I’m getting mullered by MWyer currently… thought I would try to sac n attack to open up his king side but it’s massively back firing!!

Premier Icon irc
    Free Member

It’s interesting seeing realtime rating changes. Back in the 1980/90s when I played in the Glasgow League before computers the ratings were in a thin book published I think once a year. While a few players were very active many maybe only played a league season which was about a dozen games. Maybe a couple of weekend 5 round tournaments of 5 games each. So your rating was often based on 20 games or so. Often less. It still seemed fairly accurate though. Not many games but a wide player pool.

Only having annual ratings had a few side effects. Fast improving young players could have a published grade of 1000 ELO or so but a year later be playing at 1600. As we played with 4 man teams with the highest graded player on each team playing each other a board 4 player could sometimes get humped by a player nominally the same grade but actually maybe 400 pts higher. When there is a 400 pts difference the higher graded player is expected to score 92%

As Drew27 says the rating reflects the player pool. So playing all your games in a small pool may not give an accurate rating.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elo_rating_system

Premier Icon grum

I’m getting mullered by MWyer currently

Welcome to my world. I’ve lost every game I think but really enjoyed playing, had some good battles (and some massacres).

Premier Icon RamseyNeil

Sofaman I am Wasnevergreat and really enjoyed our first game which ended in a draw but after my stupid early mistake in game 2 I was really just going through the motions and couldn’t believe that you made a massive mistake to let me back in . Zilog I was wracking my brains to think of a way to win our first game and was gutted to find you had timed out , although the point for the win was appreciated . I threw a won game away against Chessron so it has all sort of evened itself up for me so far . The really good players don’t give you anything , I guess that’s the difference .

Premier Icon crazy-legs

I threw a won game away against Chessron so it has all sort of evened itself up for me so far .

I did the same against @Crewlie in Round 1 of T3, concentrating so much on my own attack I missed an innocuous-looking Queen move; 2 moves later it was checkmate, no way for me to avoid it once it had started.

I had to admire the opportunity he’d seen as well as kicking myself for missing it.

Premier Icon lowey

Thoroughly enjoying this despite being roundly beaten on most of my games. Couple of surprising results though which I’m putting down to playing more and improving as a result.

Still making some fundamental glaring errors though.

Premier Icon Rio

Made a great discovery today – the button in the browser version that turns the board upside down so you see it from the opponents view (this seems to be absent in the iPad app). This shouldn’t make any difference and isn’t a problem I have with a real board but has really helped me see how I’m about to lose spectacularly.

Premier Icon sofaman

@RamseyNeil I was fixated on protecting my isolated pawn with something other than queen, whilst trying to get my extra piece active. Hence the slow, disastrous shuffle! Your pawn structure was highly frustrating for my bishop – looked like an evil master plan 😃

Premier Icon crazy-legs

Made a great discovery today – the button in the browser version that turns the board upside down so you see it from the opponents view

I’m happy playing most games on sight just on the app (and turning the phone upside down if needed!) but for the more in depth ones, especially against better opponents, I have an actual board and pieces set up which I can work through. It works well if your opponent is a particularly slow player – early on in the first tournament I lost a couple of games just through losing concentration and having to pick up again and work out where I was when a move was finally played 24hrs later. Setting a board up and using the downtime while waiting for an opponent to play by going through combinations of moves really helped.

Premier Icon drew27
    Free Member

@crazy-legs

That sounds like a lot of hard work to me! I do use the analysis board though.

I’m so use to it on my mobile i don’t think I could play OTB 🙁

Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 421 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.