• This topic has 617 replies, 63 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by kennyp.
Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 618 total)
  • STW Chess Tournament – anyone up for it?
  • kennyp
    Free Member

@jimmy and @iancity1 yes that would be great. I am kprook on there. I’l try and set them up, or if you know how feel free to (I’m still very new to all this). Ta.

tommyhine

@bugeye bit of a hustler, 800 rating but a sharp shooter. I’m really enjoying this tournament, thanks for organising @dannybgoode

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Thanks to this thread I’ve been inspired to watch Queen’s Gambit again.
    I still can’t work out why it is so enthralling. Design, Cinematography and Soundtrack all work for me.

kennyp
    Free Member

@iancity1 who are you on chess.com?

kennyp
    Free Member

It’s okay, spotted you I think.

robbo1234biking

I have signed up for an account on chess.com (same username as on here) if anyone wants a game? happy to join in the next tournament as well – haven’t played for years but just won my first trial game!

scandal42
    Free Member

I have just joined. Hopefully play the next tournament

I’ll give you a game Robbo (well I probably won’t as I’m crap)

bugeye
    Free Member

@tommyhine
    lol…. not sure about that 🙂
    Used to play a bit on Queen Alice but haven’t for about 10 years so a bit rusty I think.

bugeye67 if anyone wants a game.

@dannybgoode
    another thanks for organising, really enjoying it.

robbo1234biking

I think I have added you both

Are you best setting the game clock at 7 days so that you can play as you get a chance? Guessing they all happen a lot quicker but means if I get distracted by my son I don’t miss a turn

bugeye
    Free Member

Sent you an invite to a game……

scandal42
    Free Member

Just lost my 1st game as ran out of time. Had him on the ropes as well.

kennyp
    Free Member

robbo and bugeye, I’m registered as kprook on chess.com if either of you wants another game on the go.

tommyhine

KennyP, just invited you to a game if you fancy it.

kennyp
    Free Member

Will accept the invite when I get home Tommy ta.

scandal42
    Free Member

Accepted game Robbo

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Just lost my 1st game as ran out of time. Had him on the ropes as well.

How can you run out of time ? You have 5 days to make 1 move .

scandal42
    Free Member

Haha, should have made clear I was playing a normal game against a random.

scandal42
    Free Member

Thanks for the game Robbo

robbo1234biking

Yeh cheers. Apologies I didn’t put up more of a fight!

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Is there any sort of time limit on these games ? Quite a few of the mini leagues are a way off being finished and I am keen to get going in the next phase although I expect to get eliminated unless I get a lucky draw .

dannybgoode

@RamseyNeil – each player has 5 days to make each move. I fear it is my group in particular that is holding things up. I’ll get on and set the chess club up and that way we can have more regular games between us 🙂

irc

Is there any sort of time limit on these games ? Quite a few of the mini leagues are a way off being finished and I am keen to get going in the next phase although I expect to get eliminated unless I get a lucky draw .

My group finished fairly fast as well. As it looks like some time yet before R2 will start I joined another couple of the open to anyone tournaments on the site to keep active.

Currently waiting for this one to start.

https://www.chess.com/tournament/best-of-the-beginners-tournament-1001-1350/players

tommyhine

looks like we’re nearly there for the knocked phase!

gauss1777
    Free Member

I’m interested how this is all going. How many people joined in in the end? Who’s winning?

I was tempted to throw my hat into the ring at the start, but fear I am poorer than poor. However, inspired by this thread I have now played 5 games against a friend. He is better than me, which pretty much goes without saying, but I thought it would give a ranking that I could compare with some of the other self claimed weaker players. However, we both started with a rating of 800 and as we’ve played our ratings have risen and fallen but continue to average at 800. Hence I’m no clearer as to where I stand, but would be interested in joining in if you play again.

crazy-legs

Same here. I set up an account on chess.com to play a friend a few weeks ago (missed this thread the first time around).

Since then I’ve played a few randoms, done a lot of the puzzles and I went for a free trial of the Gold membership then cancelled before they took any money although I might sign up again and pay.

Not sure if I can invited to a game as a random – anyone know if you just sit there long enough if you’ll be “selected” to play and how you accept? I’m using the app on an Android phone.

Anyway, if anyone fancies one if the regular 30-min games, jlyon77 is my username on there.

kennyp
    Free Member

gauss and crazy-legs, there was talk of making it a STW Chess Club sort of thing, so there would be the tournament(s) as well as the chance just to play friendlies/challenges and the like. As far as I’m concerned, the more the merrier, regardless of standards, good or bad.

If either of you fancy a game I’m on chess.com as kprook. Same goes for anyone else that wants a friendly while we wait for the next rounds to start.

gauss1777
    Free Member

I’d be keen to play people. I never know what to do at the start, then I kind of get my pieces out and don’t know how to progress from there. It’s not until there’s just a few pieces left that I can come up with a strategy. Therefore I’ve been playing 24 hours a move. So, if anyone fancies a game I’m on chess.com as Django2357. Thanks.

crazy-legs

@gauss1777 – just sent you and @kennyp a friend request on there.

gauss1777
    Free Member

Thanks crazy-legs. Nothing has come through my end, so I have attempted to start a game with you. Chess.com says I shouldn’t as you’re 617 pts better than me 😂

kennyp
    Free Member

Hi. Just accepted the friend request. Will try and set a game up (but am new to a lot of this).

crazy-legs

Chess.com says I shouldn’t as you’re 617 pts better than me 😂

As you have just found out, rankings aren’t everything!

gauss1777
    Free Member

Chess.com says I shouldn’t as you’re 617 pts better than me 😂

As you have just found out, rankings aren’t everything!

Thanks, as you can imagine I enjoyed that. I was lost after about two moves, but then suddenly things just fell into place. It was a good while before I realised I could checkmate.

crazy-legs

I’ll be honest, I’ve never played long-form chess before (as in, dipping in and out of it over the course of a few days). It’s always been 30-min games where I can sit and concentrate and develop some vague semblance of a strategy.

Long form, I’m rapidly finding that I’m *rubbish*. Got thrashed by @gauss1777 and I’m currently fairly close to losing to @kennyp as well…

zilog6128

I’ll be honest, I’ve never played long-form chess before (as in, dipping in and out of it over the course of a few days). It’s always been 30-min games where I can sit and concentrate and develop some vague semblance of a strategy.

yeah, it’s not really working for me either tbh! Find myself either making silly mistakes or forgetting what I was trying to do and wondering “why the hell did I move there”? 🤣 Compounded by having multiple games on the go! Much prefer the real-time games (quite enjoy the snap-decision making of 10 min ones even though I often run out of time 😃), is there any way to implement those within a club or tournament setting on Chess.com?

tommyhine

I guess the 10 min ones you’d have to make sure you put aside time to do it i.e. have it over a couple of hours and then just see what happens. they do the blitz tournaments pretty often

crazy-legs

Much prefer the real-time games (quite enjoy the snap-decision making of 10 min ones even though I often run out of time 😃), is there any way to implement those within a club or tournament setting on Chess.com?

I think the only way you can play those is to offer a match to another individual – that individual then has a certain amount of time to accept the match.
    That means it really requires external messaging to say that you’re up for a game otherwise you risk the invite getting declined because the other person is busy.

I quite like the 30-min games against a random. I fluked a win against a person earlier – properly ballsed up the first few moves, ended up a knight down but then forced an exchange where I ended up with my queen vs his two rooks in the endgame. I didn’t deserve the win to be honest!

Oh and the game with @kennyp I managed to force a draw which again, I don’t think I deserved. Thanks for the game though, it was close fought.

I think at my level it’s not a case of being any good, it’s a case of not **** it up too catastrophically!

kennyp
    Free Member

Oh and the game with @kennyp I managed to force a draw which again, I don’t think I deserved. Thanks for the game though, it was close fought.

Have to say that it was one of the most enjoyable games I’ve played for quite a while. Nip and tuck for the opening 20 or so moves then I went a knight up but paid little attention to what I thought was a futile attack with a queen and a couple of pawns. Turned out the “futile” attack came very, very close to winning the game.

I think my preference would be for somewhere in-between long form and the blitz type games. Maybe an hour for each player to make all his moves.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Slight interruption here but he said this was game over and she said he didn’t know the rules. I blame the Queens Gambit

gauss1777
    Free Member

Long form, I’m rapidly finding that I’m *rubbish*. Got thrashed by @gauss1777 and I’m currently fairly close to losing to @kennyp as well…

I couldn’t believe I won that game. I was lost after a couple of moves, moved a few pieces out and then everything seemed to flow. I thoroughly enjoyed it, but felt like a hustler, because I’d said how bad I was.
    I learnt how the pieces moved as a young child and used to play a couple of friends whilst at school, but never learned how to play properly. I played someone at university once and he absolutely destroyed me.
    I’m keen to play more often whilst lockdown is on and would definitely be interested in the next tournament.

irc

I’m keen to play more often whilst lockdown is on and would definitely be interested in the next tournament.

Will be a bit of a wait. Still days between moves in some of the remaining round one games.

https://www.chess.com/tournament/the-inaugural-stw-chess-championship/games

And 3 games still to start. At this rate it could be March before round 2 starts.

https://www.chess.com/tournament/the-inaugural-stw-chess-championship/pairings

Of course a second STW tournament could be started while No 1 continues? Though I would suggest a shorter time limit. 1 day? 2 days?

There is a vacation setting where if you need a couple of days out you can pause your games. This could cover the odd time anyone couldn’t play a move wthin 24/48hrs. Bivvying in the ‘Gorms or whatever.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 618 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.