• This topic has 617 replies, 63 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by kennyp.
Viewing 40 posts - 361 through 400 (of 618 total)
  • STW Chess Tournament – anyone up for it?
  • ctk
    Free Member

Yes I’m up for a tournament for the people who didnt make it through.

gauss1777
    Free Member

One win each in my games with @gauss1777 .
    Well played – I made a right mess of that first game!

Sorry crazy-legs just seeing this. I was pleased to win that game and get some points in the final stage, being the lowest ranked player. I’ve now lost 10 games in succession : (
    Still, it’s been enjoyable.

irc

@drew27

T4 is near enough finished to start T5. What about for T5 – as soon as round 1 finishes immediately start a T6 for all those knocked out in round one T5. This would get the bottom half playing again. Games would be against people closer in ability.

When did I start? My dad taught my brother and me when we were 6 or 7. Played a bit in the house and at school. After that disn’t play tha much until I started playing for a club in the Glasgow chess league around 1990. Very much average. My club was in division 4 of 7. And my grading was 1450-1500 which was around average. Played for 10 years or so with the club. Played a few weekend touraments as well. A good way of getting 5 proper over the board games in.

I got mugged at a party once. Someone told me there was another chess player and we set a board up. I lost rapidly at which point I was told he was the Scotish junior champion. Currently ranked in Scotland top 20.

So, any more interest for T5 now with T6 for runners up in round 1 T5?

kennyp
    Free Member

Count me in for T5 (and T6 when the inevitable happens). I’m kprook on chess.com.

richwales

Yes please – richwales

dannybgoode

I’m in for any tournies as always. Other people need an easy game or two to progress 😀

grum
    Free Member

I’m in for the next round – grahamwynne

Has T1 finished yet? 😛

slowoldman

I once played for the school against the local posh kids and won my game in 4 moves – much to everyone’s surprise.

I decided to quit whilst ahead.

crazy-legs

Yes please for T5. jlyon77

fruitbat

T5 for me please – KevinPhilipsBong 😊

vinnyeh

Signing up as cannon fodder again please, vince2638.

I learnt the moves and (most) of the rules at primary school, but had literally never played a game in the subsequent 50 years until entering the last tournament.

gauss1777
    Free Member

T5 for me too please: Django2357

Any chance it could be 24 hrs a move this time?

aide

Count me in for T5 please – aide46

irc

OK. Entrants for T5. Anyone who wants in – copy and paste the list and add your Chess.com username to the bottom. Any votes for 1 or 2 day time limit?

irc1979
    Django2357
    vince2638
    KevinPhilipsBong
    jlyon77
    grahamwynne
    richwales
    dannybgoode
    kprook

aide

OK, don’t know if the capital letters count (probably do actually) so…..

irc1979
    Django2357
    vince2638
    KevinPhilipsBong
    jlyon77
    grahamwynne
    richwales
    dannybgoode
    kprook

+

Aide46

Cheers, 1 or 2 days is fine by me

gauss1777
    Free Member

1 day is ideal for me. Thanks for doing this again.

kennyp
    Free Member

1 or 2 days depends on how big the groups are eg if you have maybe 3 or so games on the go then 1 day is fine. More than that my preference would be for 2 days per move.

And thanks for organising again.

nosedive
    Free Member

Yes please to T5. Nosedive37

I’m still in T1 bizarrely and having fluked through the last round due to a no show, and it looks like another fluke after ending up in a 3 player group with a banned player.

ctk
    Free Member

JeremyDog in please

beiciwr64
    Free Member

“And thanks for organising again”
    I’ll second that!
    comino64 please

drew27
    Free Member

@irc

Sounds like you played quite a bit as kid! I do wish I played it a bit more when I was younger. Trying to get my kids playing is a struggle!

I’m up for T5 but would prefer a 2 or 3 day over a 24h tournament (but let the people choose!)

aejames on chess.com

dti

irc1979
    Django2357
    vince2638
    KevinPhilipsBong
    jlyon77
    grahamwynne
    richwales
    dannybgoode
    kprook
    dtcaban

Count me in as well please
    1 day my preference
    Thanks

irc

OK. Names so far as below. Set up as 1 day per move. Vacation time is allowed. So anyone who can’t move for whatver reason in 24 hrs- in the hills etc – can suspends their moves.

https://support.chess.com/article/624-how-does-vacation-work-how-much-time-do-i-get

Groups of 6 with 3 going through. The bottom 3 will be put in a new T6 tournament.

To join click

https://www.chess.com/tournament/stw-chess-club-t5/join/70e2b7

irc1979
    Django2357
    vince2638
    KevinPhilipsBong
    jlyon77
    grahamwynne
    richwales
    dannybgoode
    kprook
    Aide46
    Nosedive37
    JeremyDog
    dtcaban
    aejames

aide

Thanks for setting this up, looking forward to it

irc

Invites sent for the users above yet to join STW T5.

Anyone else wanting to join the tournament on Chess.com, 1 move per day. Join at

List of players currently signed up is at

https://www.chess.com/tournament/stw-chess-club-t5/players

irc

Still to join tournament.

aejames
    dannybgoode
    grahamwynne
    KevinPhilipsBong
    richwales

Still space for anyone else interested as well. Join at

dannybgoode

Apologies – missed the invite. Now joined 🙂

crazy-legs

Thanks for sorting @irc .
    And well done on your significant lead in the T4 tournament!

irc

I was lucky. There were quite a few very close games.

STW5 still waiting for @aejames and @grahamwynne to join. THat will be 18 players. So 3 groups of 6 with top 3 going through and bottom 3 into T6.

irc

aejames
    grahamwynne

Still to join T5.

drew27
    Free Member

@irc sorry im going to take a rain check… struggling with 2 day moves at the moment!

irc

@drew27

No problem.

nosedive
    Free Member

I’m enjoying this! But its made me realise how rubbish I am. Can anyone suggest a good openings book that has lots of pictures and not too much confusing notation?

dannybgoode

@nosedive – opening theory is the last thing you should study.

A good middle game/general strategy book will do far more for you than trying to get to grips with opening.

The Amateurs Mind and How to Reassess Your Chess are a good starting points.

I’m annoyed with myself. I spent some time studying with these books and a couple of chess apps and got to 1400-1500 at one stage a few years ago.

I’m back down below 1000 now and struggling. Need to get back on it…

crazy-legs

I’m enjoying this! But its made me realise how rubbish I am. Can anyone suggest a good openings book that has lots of pictures and not too much confusing notation?

@nosedive

Try GothamChess on YouTube. Trying to learn opening theory or every possible option is just going to confuse you and you certainly don’t need to know the millions of names and variations but knowing the patterns and moves to watch out for is useful.

nosedive
    Free Member

Thanks both for the suggestions

irc

There is a lot of good stuff on YouTube. BEN Finegold does lectures pitched at various levels

kennyp
    Free Member

For the first couple of moves of our game dannybgoode and I exactly replicated Saturday’s world championship match. However we have deviated from their lines now so I imagine those lightweights Carlsen and Nepo are no doubt studying our match in intense detail tonight!!

crazy-legs

I imagine those lightweights Carlsen and Nepo are no doubt studying our match in intense detail tonight!!

I dread to imagine what anyone looking at my last game would think!

Up against @ctk and I blundered very early on and got into a right pickle trying to defend it all. Eventually worked out after a mistake that allowed me some breathing space but I still needed to queen 2 pawns in order to finish it off!

dannybgoode

For the first couple of moves of our game dannybgoode and I exactly replicated Saturday’s world championship match. However we have deviated from their lines now so I imagine those lightweights Carlsen and Nepo are no doubt studying our match in intense detail tonight!!

And hoping they never meet us over the board. We’d crush them.

I did play a really good Russian chess player in some random chance meeting in Egypt. I did not last long…

Viewing 40 posts - 361 through 400 (of 618 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.