Home Forums Bike Forum Stumpjumper Evo Pro 2024 questions…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Stumpjumper Evo Pro 2024 questions…
    crimsondynamo
    Free Member

I know the frequently discounted SJ Evo is a popular choice, and it’s a front runner in my current thinking.  I have a few q’s for the assembled wisdom!

1. It comes mullet as stock, which I don’t know if I’ll like.  I’ve been full 29er for over 10 years.  Can it be run 29er at the rear too with some chip flippage at some point in the future?

2. The rims are hookless.  Does this limit tyre compatability, for example with Maxxis?

3. Does anyone know the tyre clearance?  I’d be more keen on 2.5″ or 2.6″ than the 2.3″ it comes with.

4. Any concerns or things to watch out for?

5. Basically is there anything better out there for £4k?

Been looking at these myself, tempted.

Question 1

Screenshot_20240912_063823_Chrome

Question 3 – I think the Spesh tyres are quite chunky for the quoted size, I’d say you’d be fine. I’ve got a 2.8 on my previous gen Spesh

The rest, I’ve no idea

mrl

I have the 23 which seems good so far. I cracked a rim on ride 4 or so. Riding the south downs so think it was a failure rather than hitting anything. Think the 24 has the HD rims, so that should solve the problem anyway. Comes with the flip chip in the box.

I cracked a rim on ride 4 or so. Riding the south downs so think it was a failure rather than hitting anything

My experience with Roval rims over the years hasn’t been great

mrl

Interesting, I have an old reserve wheel which has never failed despite some horrible riding. Using that at the moment. Should I keep that on for an upcoming Alps trip? It is a bit narrower etc and the hub is a dt350 that has never been serviced…. Safer than cracking the roval rim again? Been debating it in my head.

Sorry for derailing the thread.

HobNob
    Free Member

4. Any concerns or things to watch out for?

Downtube is structurally comparable to wet toilet paper? There are a lot of reports of cracked frames due to small impacts from trail debris, let alone decent rock strikes.

They need additional downtube protection.

Kramer
    Free Member

My 22 manual says maximum tyre size of 2.5 inches at the rear, but it’s the same frame.

I’ve run it with 2.3 and 2.5. It’s faster rolling with the 2.3, more grip with the 2.5z

Kramer
    Free Member

4. I’ve put an additional Rockguardz frame protector under the stock one. Set up in bike park configuration (low and slack) this is a bike that you can absolutely hoon down bike park trails and it will throw up rocks what will bounce off the downtube.

Kramer
    Free Member

I love my Stumpjumper Evo, it’s a great bike, but the only thing I’d say is that you need to be riding steep stuff, bike parks and the alps to get the most out of it. Even though it wasn’t marketed as an enduro bike, that’s more or less what it is, and whilst it’s fine on easier stuff like trail centres, it does make them a little too easy.

I think the Expert is better specced than the Pro and currently £4k at Leisure Lakes

nickc

My experience with Roval rims over the years hasn’t been great

Me niether. I’ve a rear rim that wouldn’t stray straight or hold tension regardless of what I tried. Cracked another.

Downtube is structurally comparable to wet toilet paper? There are a lot of reports of cracked frames due to small impacts from trail debris, let alone decent rock strikes.

Yep, the below thread is putting me off a tad – get past the numpties on page 1 thinking a rock chip is a crack and there are a few horror stories. Older models, but I doubt much has changed

Cracked Stumpy’s

HobNob
    Free Member

Even though it wasn’t marketed as an enduro bike, that’s more or less what it is

Hmm, as a former owner, not sure I would agree. It’s a pretty versatile bike however (although the ‘low’ setting is ridiculously low).

Should also add, they do also have an appetite for shocks due to the clevis mount.

The sizing & geometry on them was mostly great though.

nickc

Yep, the below thread is putting me off a tad –

In a thread asking to see cracks on particular part of a particular frame, there are going to be some examples. Plus; who knows what they were doing, one bloke with a massive rock strike “didn’t hear anything that he though was worth looking at” yeah alright mate, pull the other one, it plays a merry tune.

Tracey

We have been running Stumpjumpers since they had 26″ wheels. Always carbon. At the moment we have a ST Expert, Evo Expert and S Works Stumpjumper. The S Works will probably be sold as its not been ridden in the last 12 months and he now rides an Enduro. All are 29er front and rear.

Daughter has raced in Enduro and podiumed on the ST when the course was a bit pedally

The Stumpjumper can be had in 29er front and rear and also mullet from new. Have a look at the link to see the different options available the 29er can be mulleted so I assume its possible to run the mullet as a 29er rear end

https://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/facetresultsalt.aspx?term=stumpjumper%20evo

We have Turbo Levos which come mullet but a 29er will fit in with a 2.3 tyre but haven’t swapped out to 29er permanent as I have said before I cant tell the difference when riding

Our rims came Roval Carbons which will take most makes of tyres. They have been good so far although we had to have one rear re spoked after busting some spokes on the Leogang and Lenzerhide tracks. We can get 2.6 tyres with good clearance on ours

With regards the carbon frames we have busted two, a S Works Enduro and a S Works Stumpjumper. Both from big crashes in the Alps and both would have written off any frame. Daughter got knocked of her Enduro with a hit and run driver whilst on a cycle lane in NZ earlier this year. which crushed the rear seat stay. All three were sorted within a week via the crash replacement scheme.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.