Home Forums Chat Forum Stuff that makes you disproportionately cross

Viewing 40 posts - 2,601 through 2,640 (of 2,760 total)
  • Stuff that makes you disproportionately cross
    Mister-P
    Free Member

The rampant misuse of the word myself.  Here’s what you should remember: If you didn’t already say I in your sentence, you cannot use myself.

fazzini

Stupid webforms that require date of birth entry but don’t auto-shift the ‘cursor’ to the next box…FTLOG it can’t be that sodding hard. It’s the 21st century – I should not be expected to have to use the tab key, mouse, or heaven forbid, actually tap on the next box on my phone screen. ?

johnners
    Free Member

Surname fields which don’t accept apostrophes or capitalisation of more than one letter. Have the coders never heard of people of Irish ancestry?

It’s borderline racist, that’s what it is!

jamesoz

Grammar Pedantry.

Cougar

Stupid webforms that require date of birth entry but don’t auto-shift the ‘cursor’ to the next box…FTLOG it can’t be that sodding hard. It’s the 21st century

Indeed.  I was writing web pages which intelligently moved focus between fields in the late 1990s, it’s not rocket surgery.

Surname fields which don’t accept apostrophes or capitalisation of more than one letter.

I’m of the mind that name fields should generally be a single free-form box which says “name.” There are plenty of cultures which don’t use the firstname-lastname structure and when do you need one but not the other? Chances are they’ll just get concatenated to print an address label anyway.

Mandatory “title” fields can get in the sea as well.

johnx2
    Free Member

Grammar Pedantry.

Should be “Grammar pedantry” unless intended to be a title.

Unnecessary capitalisation*

*Not really

ossify

Unnecessary capitalisation*

*Not really

Unless It’s Those People Who Capitalise The First Letter Of Every Single Word. I Cannot Fathom Why This Is So Surprisingly Common But It Drives Me Nuts.

MSP

Unless It’s Those People Who Capitalise The First Letter Of Every Single Word. I Cannot Fathom Why This Is So Surprisingly Common But It Drives Me Nuts.

I blame the Germans.

Cougar

Should be “Grammar pedantry” unless intended to be a title.

As opposed to grammar pendantry, which was my nan’s necklace collection.

Cougar

Then there’s PEOPLE who randomly capitalise WORDS in their sentences.  I often wonder if they SPEAK like this too, yelling words AT random mid-sentence.

sirromj

Can an IT person whip up a script to tell us who is the most disproportionately cross STWer as defined by post count on this thread please?  :-D

ossify

It’s got to be Cougar ;-)

sirromj

You’re all invited to Grandma’s Grammar Pantry, BTW.

desperatebicycle

Royal Bastard Mail’s “fee to pay” cards! I’ve had 2 of them this week, 1, because my ol mum has eaten into their profits by sending a card £1.50 short on postage.. but its not that! It’s the recipient who gets the punishment… It can only be a punishment, becuase they have to print, label and stick something on the card that they POST THROUGH THE LETTERBOX! Isn’t it just as easy or easier! to post the bloody item through the letterbox??? PLus my mum’s name and address was on the back, so go to her for your desperately needed £1.50! Dicks

mattyfez

Then there’s PEOPLE who randomly capitalise WORDS in their sentences. I often wonder if they SPEAK like this too, yelling words AT random mid-sentence.

There are and, they. Do? it. WITH punctuation, and?

Also in.. pacing their. Speech too.

I call it ‘Christoper Walken’ syndrome.

Cougar

It’s got to be Cougar ;-)

I wouldn’t be surprised.

smiffy

Helium filled foil balloons are the worst, gggrrrrr!!!!
    On a scale of 1 to Disproportionate, Chinese Lanterns have to be the worst.  All the fun of helium balloons, only on fire

And made of ruminant-killing bamboo.

gwaelod
    Free Member

Chemtrail nutters

kilo

Surname fields which don’t accept apostrophes or capitalisation of more than one letter. Have the coders never heard of people of Irish ancestry?

I remember an article by Dara Ó Briain complaining that the Aer Lingus system wouldn’t except his name, the Ó being the issue

Cougar

Would they accept it instead?

There are and, they. Do? it. WITH punctuation, and?

To a degree at least, I can put this down to phone keyboards which insert a full stop and a capital if you happen to accidentally double-tap the spacebar.  (Of course, it’s easy to correct if you actually look what you’re doing.)

jimw
    Free Member

That Mrs. Brown’s boys is considered superior to Ghosts by those who voted for the NTA awards.

jamesoz

The fact that Mrs Browns boys was considered worthy for broadcast.

reeksy

Being informed that I am correct in identifying that I am indeed not a robot.

As if I was in some doubt.

Cougar

Being informed that I am correct in identifying that I am indeed not a robot.

I came across a story a couple of weeks back, someone had developed an AI which talked to another AI.  In order to establish contact, there’s a CAPTCHA-a-like where they prove that they are indeed robots…

reeksy

I hope they get a patronising green tick too.

nickewen
    Free Member

Lazy non-blue badge holders parking in disabled bays AND parking shockingly. It’s the combination that creates the disproportionate crossness.. some fat **** earlier landed his Range Rover (obviously) at a good 30 degrees to the lines while his missus went into the shop, engine running throughout. If you’re going to be a **** fair enough but at least attempt to park in a proper fashion, the bay is big enough FFS!

CountZero

I’m not the first, and I know for sure I won’t be the last, but owning a modern car, with all the parking aids built in, like door mirrors, and the stupid assholes can’t fit the bastard things into the box properly!

citizenlee
    Free Member

Danish white bread.

Cougar

We live in an age where, with a box of tissues, you take one out and the next one cheerfully pops up behind it ready to be grabbed after a surprise attack sneeze.  This is not new technology even, I’ve known it all my life.

So why is it so zarking difficult to get the first one out of the box?  Despite careful picking, what am I supposed to do now with the other five?

Cougar

the bay is big enough FFS!

That’s twatty parking for sure, but I’d contest your point on the parking bays.  The average size of your average car has been creeping upwards on average year-on-year, yet we’re still designing carparks designed to house your average 1960s Austin Mini.  If I drove a large faux-by-four I’d probably choose to take up two spaces myself (though I’d have the grace to do it at the back of a carpark rather than straddling two disabled bays).

Mister-P
    Free Member

The use of the word average 4 times in one sentence must be a deliberate attempt to make readers’ brains twitch.

Cougar

I deliberately did it deliberately, yes.

mattyfez

That’s twatty parking for sure,

This should probably belong in a thread called disproportionately happy, but my local sainsbo’s has double lines between spaces which in theory make it fool proof.. At least it would but you still get Chelsea tractors parking over the lines on occasion even though the car would still fit between the lines if they knew how to use a steering wheel or had any spacial awareness…

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Increasingly, facebook. Used to like it a lot for keeping in touch with friends all over the world but also used various groups as an alternative to the forums (many of which inevitably died) but the groups especially seem to be becoming a minefield of scammers and utter cretins to the point where I’ve removed myself from half the groups I was in this morning and left myself in a tiny handful which are carefully managed. That said, I can see a point very soon where I bin it off completely – did the same a few years back with instagram where every time I went on it, it just pissed me off (and I don’t miss it in the slightest) and facebook is rapidly going the same way.

mattyfez

Yeah Facebook is just awful these days…

I still have an account purely for a handful of people and local interest groups but other than that it’s just pure spam and advertising.

thelawman

@mattyfez ” but my local sainsbo’s has double lines between spaces”
    Shrewsbury, Meole Brace?

blokeuptheroad

Facebook purity gets rid of a lot of the dross and restores a semblance of usability to FB. Only works on a browser though and not on the app on your phone.

matt_outandabout

People who stand in front of train doors to get on, leaving no room for the queue of people to get off first.

Mister-P
    Free Member

“I deliberately did it deliberately, yes.”

Nice, I like your style.

fazzini

YouTube. First it gave me a free trial of premium. It’s quite nice not having 5-20 second adverts all the time. I now miss those 5-10 second adverts, as mine, following the end of the free trial of premium, now provides me with 25-40 seconds of adverts before and during the watching of videos. :(

Viewing 40 posts - 2,601 through 2,640 (of 2,760 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.