Home Forums Bike Forum Strava and fatmap ?

• This topic has 6 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 1 week ago by OwenP.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Strava and fatmap ?
  • MadBillMcMad

So Strava have shutdown fatmap, a real shame IMO.

And as far as I can see all they have moved over is my data, routes etc.

The real bonus of fatmap was the access to OS, IGN maps in France, Spain and others for both following and creation of routes.

I somehow suspect that will never get reenabled.

johnhe

I have come to depend on FATMAP a lot for trying to find new trails to ride. I’ve found searching on Strava to be very difficult, because the trails I’m searching for are not well-known bike routes. The Strava maps are just much less fun to use, and much less useful than FATMAP. I’m struggling with the idea of losing FATMAP come the end of this month.

the main thing I love about FATMAP is the ability to see the walking trails in 3D. Then I can swivel the 3D map and see quite accurately just how much climbing there is likely to be. I’ve found some of my favourite trails this way.

oliverracing

Yeah, was a Fatmat user and was told by someone in Strava Support a while ago that “popular features will be transfered, whilst other features will be streamlined” or something of that effect and when pushed on it they couldn’t answer regarding OS/IGN/Swiss maps but I did put in a request for it to be kept and they weren’t sure.

Currnetly looking for an alternative that covers all for a reasonable sum, especially considering the foreign ones were max two-three weeks per year.

susepic

Fatmap was great, but i suspect it was a bit niche and difficult to monetise. Well done to the boys who sold it to Strava and hope they are enjoying the $$, but having watched a bit of the webcast when they took over, there didn’t seem to be a huge amount of synergy. in that call Mr Fatmap didn’t seem to have the chops to present the case (might have just been a self-effacing brit in a techbro world), and i really wasn’t sure how either partner was going to get something good out of it.

It would be great to have free access to IGN and Spain and have used it a few times on FatMap, but how do you make that pay in the real world as a business. As Oliverracing says – “trying to find an alternative for a reasonable cost” – and no-one else able to do it for free….or for any money as far as i can see

rollinghills

I use footpath app – https://footpathapp.com/pricing/

get elite at £3.49 month every countries maps and planning you could ever need OS, IGN, USGS & NOAA – its great for a map / route planning geek like me!

Tracey

You can use Cartes IGN for free

OwenP

Check out Whympr for a Europe focus too, it has various European maps including IGN, it has 3d topo and some Fatmap elements like slope angle. Seem to be a work in progress at the moment in terms of content.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.