Home Forums Bike Forum Sram XD cassette with damaged splines, any solution?

• This topic has 16 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by wzzzz.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Sram XD cassette with damaged splines, any solution?
  • chakaping

Can’t get the tool into my XG1150 cassette as it’s splines seem to have been twisted just a bit, must have gone too hard on installing it.

Tried three different tools, no joy. Any alternative way of removing it from my Pro 4 hub? Nobody makes a cassette tool with super-thin ridges or something like that?

dannyh
    Free Member

Are you changing the cassette? I.e. does it matter if you destroy it in the process? Is there any way to use something like mole grips on the cogs themselves. Even though I have XD on one of my bikes, I struggle to visualize stuff like this, so I might be talking shit.

Is there any way to lever the whole thing off? Driver and all? You could then maybe use something like a vice to hold the driver body whilst twisting the cassette. Again, I’m struggling to visualize. I used to have to slightly undo Shimano cassettes before levering the whole lot off due to a super stiff pair of hope end caps once……

None of the approaches I would take would necessarily leave you with intact components.

dannyh
    Free Member

Again, just another thought – and again potentially destructive.

Could you sacrifice a tool by just hammering it into the teeth? The cassette would also be shagged, but it might come off?

Tracey

I bought a thin tool from 18 Bikes for that reason. I struggled with the Park one and two others we had. I also remove the end cap on Hopes to get a better fit. Had to remove one with a big adjustable wrench on it. Was a two man job but it came off in the end and was reusable.

vincienup
    Free Member

You need to/should remove the drive side endcap to get the cassette off a Hope XD driver.  It’s a pain but pretty essential as it’s near impossible to properly engage any lockring tool in the splines otherwise.

bigyan
    Free Member

Have you removed the endcap? Otherwise the tool will not engage properly.

I have had to press or hammer a cassette removal tool into a few to remove when they had been damaged previously.

You can pull the freehub with the cassette still attatched off the hub shell if you want, lets you use a vice to press the removal tool in, but its a bit more awkward to undo a cassette from a loose freewheel.

chakaping

Yep endcap off, can’t access splines otherwise.

Might look into the thin tool you mention Tracey, ta.

Cassette only about 1/4 worn so can just leave it on for now and sell the wheels with a different freehub I guess.

Cheers all.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Can you put a bolt through the lot to hole the tool in place while trying to loosen it? If not before your trash it completely LBS with a selection of cassette tools and all the lubricants/penatrating sprays going.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Endcap off then tool + hammer. Remove lockring and replace with non mangled one.

shadow23
    Free Member

Tried three different tools, no joy. Any alternative way of removing it from my Pro 4 hub? Nobody makes a cassette tool with super-thin ridges or something like that?

I have the same situation. But I did not bend the splines of the lock ring. Obviously, the mechanic who put it together at my LBS stuffed up the installation. So now the xd freehub and the cassette is in the bin and none of them can be salvaged.

My question is, can I just buy a new xd freehub and replace the cassette as well. Or am I up for a new rear wheel?

tomhoward

My question is, can I just buy a new xd freehub and replace the cassette as well.

Assuming you have a Hope hub, then yes.

itchy99
    Free Member

I had this problem on my Boardman full Susser. Stripped the XD splines despite using an old quick release through the removal tool to hold it in place.
    Going back to Shimano as never had any problems with their cassettes.

tomhoward

Going back to Shimano as never had any problems with their cassettes.

Just cassettes chewing up freehubs on their own then?

frogstomp

I shredded the splines on mine and managed to keep it going using the Park Tool FR-5.2GT – the combination of longer splines and stablizing central pin did just enough.

It was one of the first in the country, and only finally gave up the ghost last year when the ‘barrel’ parted company with the rest of the cassette.

chakaping

I never did get it off, but I’ve bought another Pro 4 hub now so I can just use the jammed freehub and cassette until it’s worn out.

Good job I’m still on 11sp.

BoardinBob

Threaded rod through the hub with bolts and washers on each end and clamp the tool in the splines as tight as possible is another thing to try

wzzzz
    Free Member

The last one I got off I used a freewheel tool (not cassette).

These have longer splines, but may be slightly smaller in diameter

like this

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-maintenance/bike-tools/bikehut-freewheel-tool

the XD pulled off the wheel with the freehub (dt swiss).

So I put a bolt through the freehub and tool and clamped the cassette by the teeth in a wooden jawed vice.

Tool a hell of a force to get it to unscrew, eventually popped off, whoever fitted it did so without anti seize grease.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Sram XD cassette with damaged splines, any solution?’ is closed to new replies.