Home Forums Bike Forum Sram AXS and shimano cassette

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Sram AXS and shimano cassette
  • shortyj15

Hey folks.

I’m running a mashup of SRAM AXS on a shimano cassette and chain. Mainly as I got microspline wheels and cassettes aren’t cheap.

I’m currently running the 45T shimano cassette but due to lack of fitness I’ve tried putting the 51T cassette on with a new chain.

It was running really nice on the 45T but I can’t get it to shift nice on the 51T…..any suggestions?

oceanskipper

Shift nice at all or just to the 51t. Have you changed the settings in the AXS app at all? MicroShift for example.

tomhoward

Longer chain?

julians
    Free Member

Check that the dearailuer upper pulley is not too close to the 51 tooth cog, you might need to alter the b screw to give it enough clearance to move the chain onto the 51t cog.

shortyj15

It shifts nice in the lower set of the cassette (smaller cogs) but it struggles with the larger cogs. I’ll get a longer chain and try that.

kelvin

Which mech is it?

oceanskipper

You will also need to adjust the b-gap as well.

shortyj15

It’s a SRAM XX1 Eagle AXS 12-Speed Rear Derailleur

HobNob
    Free Member

I have this on my ebike, once I had the b-tension right it shifts fine.

kelvin

It’s a SRAM XX1 Eagle AXS 12-Speed Rear Derailleur

Should “just work” then. Move the cog out further with the b screw. Also… was it a new chain on the new cassette?

Blazin-saddles

Check the b-gap.  I’ve got GX Axs running just fine on a 10-51 SLX cassette and Shimano chain.

shortyj15

Thanks guys. I’ve got it running apart from In the largest cog it every so often one link doesn’t line up and it jumps a little.

It’s a brand new cassette..

kelvin

And a new chain?

shortyj15

Yeah brand new chain

oceanskipper

Thanks guys. I’ve got it running apart from In the largest cog it every so often one link doesn’t line up and it jumps a little.

in the stand or when riding?

shortyj15

In the stand. I’ll get a video

shortyj15

It seems the same tooth the entire time. I’ve marked it with green pen

oceanskipper

Shimano chain?

shortyj15

Yeah Shimano chain

oikeith

I thought only newer Eagle stuff worked with 50+ stuff? OG Eagle was only 50, is the mech compat with 51 or 52? I have an older AXS X01 and I dont think it is.

oceanskipper

Good point that. ⬆️

shortyj15

Yeah I just looked at my spec of mech and it says max 50T.

tomhoward

I thought all the AXS stuff was 52t compatible?

shortyj15

After doing some digging it looks like all AXS is 52T compatible and it’s the mechanical series that was limited. I have done a video which should be in the link below

spannermonkey

I’m running SRAM GX AXS Derailleur & shifter with Shimano SLX chain, chainring & 51T cassette. Had it on my Rise for over a year

Key things for me were b-gap from tooth tip of 51T to centre of top pulley = 45mm

And swapping out the SRAM pulley/jockey wheels for Shimano XT M8100 ones (£17) as the GX AXS ones don’t play nice with the Shimano 12spd chain width

YMMV

oceanskipper

I can hear a rubbing noise just before the chain doesn’t engage. What’s that? Rotor? Is the cassette mounted OK?

spannermonkey

Are the jockey/Pulley teeth fully engaging with the chain?

frogstomp

in the stand or when riding?

>> In the stand.

Does it do it when riding? Sounds a bit like @oceanskipper’s recent thread where there just wasn’t enough tension on the chain to extend it fully in the stand – worked fine IRL.

oceanskipper

Actually my issue was the narrow wide profile on the teeth of the largest two cogs needs some chain tension in order to “catch” properly. Shimano cassette doesn’t have a narrow wide on it. Still, it could be a chain tension issue and needs testing under load, get someone to hold the brake lever if it’s hard to tell when riding…

I reckon that noise in the video has something to do with it though…

shortyj15

I’ve had a play about this morning and it appears it was mech hanger alignment. All is running good now so thanks guys

nickingsley

@spannermonkey surprisingly, to me, that 45mm seems to work!

I have just replaced the chainset and using GX AXS with Shimano chain and cassette and despite checking the hanger and resetting the B screw as before, 3mm between upper jockey and 51t cog with the chain n the 2nd largest cog, but couldn’t get a good change.

Your 45mm works fine but it results in a much bigger gap than I have used previously when in the 2nd largest cog, as above.

I will tinker some more as I was in a bit if a hurry to get out on the mtb.

nickingsley

@shortyj15 I had exactly same issue, sent the cassette back. There were no problems with the replacement cassette the bike shop sent me.

Merlin who were pretty prompt about it.

Yep, 12 speed much more susceptible to hanger alignment. I had an X01 11 speed on my 7 yr old Capra, bullet/my rubbish mtce proof.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.