Home Forums News Specialized Stumpjumper 15 Pro: first ride review

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Specialized Stumpjumper 15 Pro: first ride review
  • Ben_Haworth

The 50th anniversary of Specialized brings us the fifteenth Stumpy: here’s our early verdict on the Specialized Stumpjumper 15 Pro.

By ben_haworth

Get the full story here:

https://singletrackworld.com/wp-content/uploads/2024/07/specialized-stumpjumper-15-pro-first-ride-review/

munkyboy
    Free Member

Proprietary shock, really expensive and locked into SRAM/ expensive derailleur /  likely unsupported in a few years derailleur.

Not a chance I would touch it. Possibly in a few years when wireless is cheaper and Shimano provide competition. What a miss as otherwise it looks great!

TomZesty

I agree, and I’ve had 3 Specialized full suss bikes in a row. Not for me, I don’t want wireless shifting any more than I want an E-bike. People should have the option. Plus seems very expensive compared to previous models.

fazzini

will Specialized (re)introduce a model to sit between the Epic EVO and the Stumpjumper 15 – a Camber perhaps?

Specialized Chisel FS Evo coming to a bike launch near you soon…(or maybe not 😂)

andylc
    Free Member

Stupidly expensive!!

LAT

will Specialized (re)introduce a model to sit between the Epic EVO and the Stumpjumper 15 – a Camber perhaps?

my first thought when I saw the price

matt_outandabout

I’m not the target market, I couldn’t spend that much on a push bike.

The shock doesn’t put me off – as Benji says, it’s standard sized and the frame isn’t bringing any kind of ‘locked’ to that shock.

I’m less keen on the AXS. I would rather some plain old Deore….

bikesandboots

No routing for cable operated derailleurs!

Kramer
    Free Member

I don’t see that it adds much to my current Stumpjumper Evo, apart from less travel?

Gribs

Is the S-Works frame coming to the UK?

Aidy
    Free Member

One thing that is easily missed is that Specialized offer a lifetime, no-questions-asked bearing replacement policy. Which is nice.

This is the first time I’ve heard of this, and Google doesn’t come up with anything about it. Are you sure you’re not thinking of Santa Cruz? https://www.santacruzbicycles.com/en-GB/warranty/claims

fazzini

This is the first time I’ve heard of this, and Google doesn’t come up with anything about it.

Guy in Bikescene (Spesh store) told me the same thing at the weekend. I knew the frames were lifetime warranty, but he said bearings too. Wonder if that’s a new(ish) thing.

noneoftheabove
    Free Member

Another disposable carbon frame with limited cross-brand upgrade options? That should look nice in the landfill next to the unrepairable ebikes. It undoubtedly demonstrates some astonishing engineering but definitely doesn’t support a sustainable future. I am definitely not a target market for this so I’ll stick to my (significantly cheaper) alu frame and external routing for a bit longer.

chakaping

I don’t see that it adds much to my current Stumpjumper Evo, apart from less travel?

They’ve got rid of the awful-looking asymmetrical frame 😀

But less travel can be better on an all-mountain bike. My latest steed is 145mm travel and I’m loving it.

Aidy
    Free Member

Guy in Bikescene (Spesh store) told me the same thing at the weekend. I knew the frames were lifetime warranty, but he said bearings too. Wonder if that’s a new(ish) thing.

Wording of the warranty explicitly excludes bearings as a wear and tear item.

https://media.specialized.com/support/collateral/0000109731-warranty-uk-en.pdf

roger_mellie

They’ve got rid of the awful-looking asymmetrical frame 😀

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that. I liked the side-arm.

georgesdad

Personally I don’t see the point of having so many things to adjust/muck up. I have never, ever, read a bike review in any publication that said ‘This bike would be better shorter and steeper.’ I’ve been out on my bike earlier just down the old railway line and back up the canal. Should I have spent an hour beforehand altering the geometry to suit, only to have to slacken it out again next time I ride the steeps? I’ll stick with my Orange. It’s fast, it’s simple, it’s fun, it rides like a dream. I genuinely think we’ve hit peak bike now. Geometry and suspension are as good as they’re going to get. There’s only so much they can sell you so they’re focusing on e-bikes and MORE TECHNOLOGY.

arrpee
    Free Member

I was glad to see this release for this very reason – it’s nice when the new version of your bike doesn’t immediately seem more desirable than the one you already have.

Makes me wonder what direction they’ll go in with whatever replaces the Enduro. If it ends up some sort of super-enduro monster, does that leave a bigger gap in the range? That said, there was arguably a fair amount of overlap between the Evo and the Enduro, in terms of what could reasonably be ridden on them, albeit they get the job done a bit differently.

Also, they can have my asymmetric side arm when they prise it from my cold, dead hand.

devash
    Free Member

They really nailed the new Epic / Epic Evo 8, but missed the mark with this one.

I wonder if they will bring out a cheaper alu version with normal cable routing?

arrpee
    Free Member

I wonder if they will bring out a cheaper alu version with normal cable routing?

That seems likely to me – seem to remember that there was a bit of a lag before the alloy version of the Evo came out?

As an Evo owner, I shall be spending a lot of time hanging around trailheads, loudly and obnoxiously proclaiming that it was so good, Specialized had to nerf it to make the Enduro seem worthwhile.

TomZesty

On the launch video you can see an alloy one with what looks like normal routing. Don’t know why they don’t just launch them altogether.

I’ve read a bit more about the carbon one today, and I definitely think they’ve missed the mark with this one – as others have said, a shame given the success of the previous model and corresponding Evo and the recent winners with the Epic and Chisel FS.

r999
    Free Member

Great review and accompanying pictures. I didn’t realize that the lower shock mounting had an offset capability. I looked up the manual and there is nothing mentioned about this feature. I’m assuming this came directly from Specialized during the test?

chakaping

“Makes me wonder what direction they’ll go in with whatever replaces the Enduro. If it ends up some sort of super-enduro monster, does that leave a bigger gap in the range?”

It was already kind of a super-enduro monster, eh?

My theory is that by dropping the travel of the SJ and merging two bikes there, they will also drop the travel of the Enduro to 160 or 165.

They will want their enduro race team actually riding the Enduro next season IMO.

(erm, where have the quote and other tabs gone? And why won’t that Cannondale video shut up FFS?)

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.