Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 264 total)
  • South Downs Way Triple attempt starting shortly.
  • wwaswas

Cocking Hill. Not sure what bike.

chiefgrooveguru

He’s just crossing the Midhurst road.

Actually, without a time limit, what does it mean? Fair play that he’s going for x3; it’s a big committment, but if he does it in 35 hours, what does that mean, or 40, 50 hours? I hope he does it – but I’m not clear what “doing it means” – is it non-stop, what if he does stop, how long should he stop/sleep, can he get assistance, how much, etc. The Double, IMO, is more understandable as there is a time limit – so you do it, or not. Anyway, he probably, rightly, couldn’t give a monkeys what I think, and good on him for giving it a go. I hope this does not sound too negative, just my opinion. Run the Himiyalas in 100 days, unsupported? Madness, utter madness – but the Cranes did it, a long time ago.

wwaswas

the Double, IMO, is more understandable as there is a time limit

is there?

portlyone

When he turned around will that site change his progress to a different colour or will will loose the ability to track him? 🙂

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

the Double, IMO, is more understandable as there is a time limit

Well there’s not really a time limit, but I guess the accepted standard is 24 hours. Not that anyone’s going to come and take your bike off you at 24:00:01.

wwaswas

he’s 11 minutes ahead of schedule after 66 miles.

bugpowderdust
    Free Member

Just started raining here in Petersfield but not hard just enough to dampen the dust a little bit.

hilldodger
    Free Member

All solo endurance challenges must seem pretty pointless except to the person doing them – all I can say is I couldn’t do it, I wouldn’t do it but I’d certainly doff my cap to anyone who tries to do it 😀

cakefest
    Free Member

I hope he does it – but I’m not clear what “doing it means” – is it non-stop, what if he does stop, how long should he stop/sleep, can he get assistance, how much, etc.

Doing it is doing it. Whatever he defines ‘it’ to be, and whatever he does. The first ascent of Everest was doing it. So was the ascent that someone paid $50,000 to do last weekend. Different, but still doing it.

cakefest
    Free Member
    wwaswas

still lining his wheels up for pictures, I see 🙂

wwaswas

smiling as much as anyone does being physio’d;

Taff
    Free Member

Would like to try and ride a bit with him tomorrow. Been tracking him most of the day, even in my meeting. Awesome attempt. As if the SDWD wasn’t hard enough

cheese@4p

Good luck to the man hes set himself one hell of a challenge. But my money is on a DNF. Too far and its gonna rain.

m1kea
    Free Member

There’ll be another load of nutters out on the South Downs tomorrow as its the South Downs Relay running race.

Sod running up and down those hills!

Matt24k
    Free Member

We’ve been talking about doing the SDW in a day. To us that would be a real achievement. It’s not a fantastic ride but it is a hell of a journey. To attempt it 3 times back to back is very impressive.
    My point is that it is a personal challenge and that means different things to different people. I don’t see how you could knock any one for trying.

owenfackrell
    Free Member

Good luck to him i say some of those hills get hard. and iv’e only done it in a day one way (and that took 13 hours). To all those say why 3 laps? Its not 3 laps as when you turn around you are riding up th ehills you came down and vis versa which makes it a very different track and by the time he’s back at he begining i doubt he will remember to much of what the ground conditions were like doing the same bits again.

grazedknees
    Free Member

To give you all an update, richard is on fine form. He has just done the first leg and heading back out of Winchester we are digging into the pit crew survival hamper which he left for us. He is happy and enjoying the near empty, dry trails. He is running ahead of schedule despite a puncture early on. He is riding a Scott scale 29er. Batteries have just been changed for his endomondo.
    He says thank you for all your positive comments- keep em coming!
    He had been training for months, so is as prepared as he could be. If you want a personal update we are #sd3 on twitter

avdave2

OK if he’s made the turn we are behind on a post a mile so we need to catch up!

JRTG
    Free Member

I have huge amounts of respect for someone doing this. The mental battle is a real barrier for me. Hope it all goes well and can’t wait to hear all about once he finishes.

dobo
    Free Member

Fantastic challenge imo.

I wonder what hes dreading most? not being able to eat enough and bonking? no sleep? the rain? the hills? riding in the heat? riding at night? punctures?

looks like hes coming up to butser hill soon from the easier side, wonder if he pushes on the 3rd lap 🙂

Taff
    Free Member

How is he running the endomondo?

allthepies
    Free Member

Errr, smartphone with Endomondo app one would imagine.

grazedknees
    Free Member

He is running endomondo off his samsung smartphone. Spare battery packs so hopefully it will keep live.
    What’s he most frightened off? The scarey pit crew of course;-)

damo2576
    Free Member

I don’t get why he is only doing it 3 times and not 4?

jim76
    Free Member

I rode the SDW on Sunday, West to East and really enjoyed it. Never really ridden on the South Downs before and tend to be more into singletrack etc but a friend invited me along and I thought it sounded like a good challenge. It’s not the most challenging riding in terms of technical sections and most of it is double track but there are some really fun sections, some super fast bits and some pretty challenging climbs. It’s a real journey and certainly got me more into the idea of doing more that my usual couple of hours on the Surrey Hills..
    Anyway, managed it in just over 10 hours and was pretty pleased with that. Felt pretty good on the day but on Monday and Tuesday I was exhausted! Bike was a Specialized Camber Expert Carbon with Command Post and it was superb – perfect tool for the job.

Ignore the negatives! The fact that this chap is attempting 3 times in a row gets my respect that’s for sure.

4 times ? Maybe he will 😀

Taff
    Free Member

I know it’s smart phone but was wondering how it was going to keep going for 36hours. Forgot that phones had removable batteries.. been with Apple too long! 🙄

South Downs is riding nicely and hope it stays like that for Richard. Will hopefully ride from the house to Winchester and back on Sunday morning. So apologies in advance for the adverse weather that day!

drofluf
    Free Member

Respect to the guy for doing this. I tried it one way last year and bailed after 14 hours

grazedknees
    Free Member

Update: its now properly dark but we can see richard on the horizon with his six pack dropping into cocking. His iPod has broken so he will be humming his favourite tunes through the night. He is still cheerful and enjoying hearing the comments from singletrack massive.

richen987
    Free Member

Been keeping a warch on this, really impressive, incrediable to keep an average at over 9 for so long. Good luck and will check in the morning.

jameso

I hope he’s humming better tunes than the ones that come into my head when I’m on a long (for me) ride.. really awful, some of them.

Best of luck for a good night’s riding to him. Look fwd to hearing that he did it, sometime tomorrow!

Taff
    Free Member

is he in the pub? Been still around Amberley for a while

splashdown
    Free Member

Good luck 😀

grazedknees
    Free Member

Richard is in really good spirits- he is riding consistently and fuelling well. No real aches or pains although he hit his shoulder against a gate so is a bit sore.
    he has given the pit crew surprise envelopes at certain check points- this one is a compilation of cheesy 80s tunes. Roll on a night with banana Rama, genesis and wham! que the next pit stop having the speakers on full volume. I hope the sheep appreciate it.

grazedknees
    Free Member

4.03 am. Richard has just been through the A27 checkpoint. The last leg was a bit slower due to a heavy mist that has fallen making navigating tricky. Its still dry and warm and the trails dusty. He isn’t complaining of any body problems although he is not enjoying eating- who would at 4am?! He is still joking with us and really looking forward to the dawn arriving. Still 10 minutes ahead of schedule.

AngusWells

Watching progress from here in Jordan. So here is an early morning cheer to keep the morale up. Hurrah.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

has he stopped? Endomondo is no longer saying live, or at least it isnt to me?

spooky_b329

Says live for me, and its refreshing as it does that annoying ‘zoom out’ whilst you are hunting for his position. He is on the climb out of Alfriston.

grazedknees
    Free Member

He is still going , heading to Eastbourne. He was feeling a bit sick on the last checkpoint and hips are a bit sore. A bit of a struggle to get through a heard of cows He was keen to know who was following his progress and says thank you for all the encouragement.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 264 total)

The topic ‘South Downs Way Triple attempt starting shortly.’ is closed to new replies.