Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 264 total)
  • South Downs Way Triple attempt starting shortly.
  • jimification
    Free Member

That must be near 300 gates! (unless he’s lucky with cooperative ramblers)

Muggomagic: Yes, he’s already done a double and the double record is very fast…on another double he’d be competing with the likes of Ian Leitch and Josh Ibbett to set a new record. No one’s done the triple yet, though and the record is there for the taking and I guess it’s a bit more noteworthy than another “slower” double.

Good luck to him anyway. I’m out on the downs myself today and tomorrow and will keep an eye out for him.

longwayhome
    Free Member

I’m with TJ (Oh my God!) and muppetWrangler on this.

Why do it 3 times?

I would guess its because it’s going one better than what been done before. I don’t doubt in years to come that someone will do the double double. It’s what people do always strive to go one better than what has been done before.

muggomagic – Member

After a double where does it end? Five times back to back? Ten times? A hundred times?

Will anyone care if you manage 25 times when the previous record was 24 etc. etc. and is 25 times in 15 days more or less of an achievement than 24 times in 13 days?

Leave it at 2!

TJ, why do the three peaks when you could just go up Everest.

soma_rich – Member

Exactly TJ’s point – both of those are just one “lap” with no repetition.

miketually
    Free Member

As a natural thing to aim for, “there and back” does make more sense than “there and back and there again”.

grazedknees
    Free Member

All challenges have a different spin. This is indoubtedly a physical challenge but also a massive psychological challenge. To do one lap or a to b keeps you motivated but to reach the ‘end’ after 24 hours and then turn back again?!

miketually
    Free Member

As a first go at riding for much more than 24 hours, doing it on familiar terrain makes sense.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Cheer up, you might be adopted

I’ve often thought that was the pretty likely, seemed rude to ask though.

cakefest
    Free Member

why not do the SDW triple? FFS plenty of people get paid millions for riding/running round and round the same tracks again and again.

respect to the long distance lunatics.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Loving the fact he has a live progress feed! Very clever.

http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/60289217

Just looked at his feed – ran 37 miles on the SDW at 6:12 min/mile.
    Eeek!

longwayhome
    Free Member

why not do the SDW triple? FFS plenty of people get paid millions for riding/running round and round the same tracks again and again.

cakefest – Member

Yes, but you don’t get everyone doing Mayhem or the World Championships turning it into a challenge, having a website to track their progress and starting a thread on here.

respect to the long distance lunatics.

cakefest – Member

Yes, but chose a longer route rather than do one multiple times.

wwaswas

to be fair the bloke doing it didn;t start the thread, I did, and lots of people start Mayhem threads on here…

I’m not sure what he’s doing is any ‘worse’ than a race on a circuit that people do multiple times in 24 hours etc, he just has 100 mile ‘laps’ not 20 mile ones?

ChrisE
    Free Member

If you were going to ride as far as that, would you not find somewhere a bit better, bit nicer, to ride, ie not southern England!!

C

monksie
    Free Member

I love this kind of stuff, more so because it’s on the same route repeated.
    I know he won’t have the slightest inkling of this but I wish him the very best in his attempt. It’s a tough day out doing it in one direction.
    Go on fella!

miketually
    Free Member

I’m not sure what he’s doing is any ‘worse’ than a race on a circuit that people do multiple times in 24 hours etc, he just has 100 mile ‘laps’ not 20 mile ones?

Exactly. Instead of trying to do as many laps as possible in a set time, he’s trying to do three laps as fast as possible.

longwayhome
    Free Member

Nobody has addressed my question.

Where do you stop?

monksie
    Free Member

Doing the route more than once in the same ride adds to the challenge. A significant part of this is mental.
    I’m riding London to Manchester in 13 hours (I hope) in July. Toward the end of it, I know I’ll be struggling but being able to focus on the distance going past and knowing I won’t have to look at it (the same bit of road) again will help. A small but very helpful mental stimulus. Imagine being knackered and knowing you have to do the same thing again. You really have to dig mentally deep when you’re wiped out and it’s the same scenery.

HermanShake
    Free Member

What a beast! Looks like he’s on big wheels too.

Maybe the next thing is the SDW3 on a fatty? There must be loads of records to be grabbed on a chubster.

surfer
    Free Member

Nobody has addressed my question.

Where do you stop?

Its not a very good question however you dont stop. If he breaks/creates a record for 3 then its there to be beaten.

CaptJon
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member
    Trimix – au contraire – I get doing “challenges” but merely queried why riding the same bit of trail 3 times was the chosen one here

“same bit of trail” makes it sound like he’s sessioning a short part all day, not cycling 300 miles off road!

m1kea
    Free Member

surfer – Member

Daisy Duke off here did a double last year. He was hoping for a sub 24 but 7 punctures in the first 50 miles a couple of tumbles and a problem with his lights meant he missed it by about an hour IIRC.

Top effort though

FTFY

By complete chance I caught Ben that day at about 60 miles. I’d taken 1:40 out of him as we climbed to Truleigh Hill and I was well impressed to read that he had the chops to carry on to finish. I would have certainly bailed well before then.

Very best of luck to Richard and I sincerely hope he makes it. My best double attempt failed at 15 hours and it is all about the mental will to carry on.

I completely get why he’s trying the triple.

bennyboy1
    Free Member

Good luck to him, wish him all the best for this massive challenge.

cakefest
    Free Member

Chris E – If you were going to ride as far as that, would you not find somewhere a bit better, bit nicer, to ride, ie not southern England!!

Don’t think it’s got anything to do with the scenery. Except for the first chunk of miles and then blips along the way. I think the SDW is virtually a motorway – technically not too tricky when dry – and built for this sort of long distance effort.

Longwayhome – Nobody has addressed my question.

Where do you stop?

Incredible question. How did we get aeroplanes? Gunpowder? Oil? Flasks? Battenburg cake? Printing press?

You never, ever stop.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Whats the record one way?

Aidan
    Free Member

Good luck to him, it’s going to be tough.

To those who are grumbling about a 3-way (ha!), the only reason to ever care what other people think about your challenges is if you are sponsored up to the eyeballs and/or a career adventurer.

Guys like this get more respect from me, they do it because they want to.

avdave2

Richard Sterry was out running. He tracked 36.87 mi in 3h:48m:37s.

this is from his profile on the link – he may be mad!

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

I’m just jealous of him having enough spare time to seriously train for and attempt something like that.

DrP

^
    Begrudgingly, I agree….

DrP

trb
    Free Member

I wish him luck, it’s a seriously tough challenge and the only SDW x 3 challenge I’m ever likely to do is 1 way in 3 days!

But……. I’m with TJ, 3 times? I just don’t get it.

Cheezpleez

Can’t believe all the people carping about whether this is a valid challenge. FFS!

If you don’t like it, either just ignore it or go and do something more impressive/imaginative.

Like my dear old mum used to say: if you’ve got nothing positive to say, don’t say anything.

jameso

I’m really suprised people are asking ‘why’.. Inspiring stuff imo, I can’t imagine how tough the 2nd turn-around must be.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Like my dear old mum used to say: if you’ve got nothing positive to say, don’t say anything.

And whining about people who have differing opinions to you is positive how? 😀

Trimix
    Free Member

Just looked at his progress- at this rate he will need 25,532 calories by the time he has finished.

Almost 10 times the amount we should normally eat.

That will be some massive curry/beer fest at the end then 🙂

large418
    Free Member

I get why he’s doing this. It’s a challenge that he’s set himself – doesn’t matter that it’s the SDW – it could be any epic route. Top respect from here.

There’s a huge number of people who don’t get why we ride bikes. Doesn’t make it bad or wrong, just different. I love the fact that there are some people out there who want to push the boundaries of what is possible.

25,000 calories – that’s like eating a fat person!

Cheezpleez

@IanMunro – Fair cop. I thought that myself after I posted it 😀

Just think it’s incredible that the only thing people can think of to say about this guy’s effort is that it’s a bit unimaginative or somehow wrong.

Good luck to him!

Trimix
    Free Member

Eating 25,000 calories would be tough enough !

weeksy

Trimix – Member
    Eating 25,000 calories would be tough enough !

Oh i dunno.. sounds like a decent weekend to me.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Just think it’s incredible that the only thing people can think of to say about this guy’s effort is that it’s a bit unimaginative or somehow wrong.

Good luck to him!

No worries, I know exactly what you meant, I was just being an arse 😀
    Talking of which hopefully they’re won’t be any pics of his after 36 hours 😀

miketually
    Free Member

You can’t eat 25000 calories in 36 hours.

If he eats 60g of carbs per hour, that’s 8640 calories. Even if he’s trained himself to eat more carbs than that, it’ll not be enough. He’ll be running on body fat.

25000 calories = 6.25 pounds of fat

wwaswas

25000 calories = 6.25 pounds of fat

let’s hope he’s not a scrawny bugger with no fat – he’ll be bonking badly by the end.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Anyone know where he is now?
    I can’t access his data from That Work Thing.
    What bikes he on too??

chiefgrooveguru

Seeing that feed I’m quite tempted to join him for a few miles as he passes Brighton again!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 264 total)

The topic ‘South Downs Way Triple attempt starting shortly.’ is closed to new replies.