Home Forums Bike Forum (Sorry) e-bike for daughter, help please

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • (Sorry) e-bike for daughter, help please
  • cinnamon_girl

To be used for gentle rides on forest paths and tracks but unsure whether a hybrid rather than mountain would be more suitable.  She recently hired a Specialized e-bike and enjoyed a 2 hour pootle on that.  Is there much difference between battery manufacturers?  For around £2K what’s worth considering?

Thanks for any guidance cos I’m clueless on e-bikes.

johnnystorm

The Specialized Tero X is reduced to just over £2k in a lot of places. It’s a kind of full suspension hybrid that’s more on the MTB side of things.

Damian Harris cycles are also selling Bergamont full suspension bikes with a big reduction. I’ve never seen one in the flesh but the spec looks good and they are owned by Scott sports.

cinnamon_girl

Thanks, shall take a look at those and that fs hybrid sounds interesting.

jkomo

That Specialized looks great- ready fitted racks and mudguards are really useful, and a dropper is great on a heavier bike to put both feet down when you stop. Looks like it has lights as well, full suss on gravel will help make it more comfy on the backside.

dyna-ti

I’ve 2, a sus emtb(Scott genius) and the buzzbike hardtail thing mainly now used for shopping duties. Previously I’d an add on rack fitted to the Scott

It’s really night and day on comfort with the HT being pretty bumpy and uncomfortable.

I’d go for the Spesh. Seems a great deal at that price.

matt_outandabout

Mrs_oab’s Merida eSpeeder hybrid was £2k as last year’s bike, and on cycle to work.

We went for the hub motor as it was much, much lighter. It’s got 100km range still, it’s got more than enough kick for easier trails and Scottish hill climbs on road and track. It’s done all sorts of gravel and light off road – I fitted tyres with some tread on as well.
    She can actually pick it up (it weighs same as her MTB). As someone 5′ and 7st, this is a fact overlooked by multiple 6′ 12st male bike sales people.
    It’s not got torque sensor, it goes off cadence. But one ride in and she got the idea that a lower gear = more assistance and better gear…
    We don’t like the charging plug. But it works.
    Hub motors are seemingly divisive, but we’re a year in and loving it.

matt_outandabout

To add: whatever you do, buy it from LBS to get the back up on warranty and electronics.

jkomo

Yeah weight is a big deal, my FS ebike is difficult to lift into the car unless I do some proper loin girding, and I’m a sturdy fellow.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.