Viewing 40 posts - 1,001 through 1,040 (of 3,015 total)
  • soccerball 22/23, the WC hump season
  • Klunk
    Free Member

FIFA rankings 😀

ransos
    Free Member

FIFA rankings 😀

Go on…

nickjb
    Free Member

such a weak group (don’t think I can remember such a poor group).

Already mentioned, but it’s the only group will all top 20 teams and its the group with highest average ranking.

Tougher challenges to come but England have played well, scored some good goals and topped the group. So far so good.

theotherjonv

Scored nine and conceded only one goal really in 270 mins (or 300, if you count injury time!) – the second Iran penalty being the softest non-penalty ever.

You deal with what’s in front of you and there are no style marks, certainly not at this stage.

alpin
    Free Member

Why can’t the ref just have the VAR on his phone…? Save him running across the pitch.

dazh

What frustrates me about England is that despite all that talent, they don’t seem to have much of a clue how to unlock organised and hardworking opponents. The goals last night were the result of unforced errors by the welsh (the second one particularly). It feels like Southgate’s entire approach is to play boring keep-ball until the opposition cock up and they get half a chance. They’re pretty ruthless when they do get a chance, I’ll give them that, but what happens when they play better teams? It’s very boring to watch basically.

johndoh
    Free Member

What frustrates me about England is that despite all that talent, they don’t seem to have much of a clue how to unlock organised and hardworking opponents. The goals last night were the result of unforced errors by the welsh (the second one particularly).

Well, apart from that glorious passage of play with about four backheels leading to a great chance for Foden. If that had gone in, it would have been the goal of the tournament.

PrinceJohn

It’ll be interesting to see how they fair against better opposition.

The Iran result I think was a result of the keeper getting an injury early on & what’s going on in the background in the country currently.
    We never looked like scoring against USA despite our attacking riches & Wales came into the game beaten men.

argee

The tournament starts now for England, Senegal up next, so not a bad first knock out opponent, especially without their talisman in Sadio Mane, big question will be what formation will Southgate go with, the easy run might work against them if their first time playing the normal 3-5-2 is against France potentially.

dazh

Well, apart from that glorious passage of play

That just proves my point. They have the players capable of doing that sort of thing, but rarely do because the ball is always in their own half with the defenders. England could be an incredibly creative team, but they are shackled by the caution of their manager.

johndoh
    Free Member

That just proves my point.

I thought your point was that they don’t seem to have much of a clue how to unlock organised and hardworking opponents?

dazh

It’s the same point. If the manager’s tactics prevent his creative players from creating goal scoring chances, then the team as a whole won’t unlock organised opponents and will instead be dependent on their opponent’s errors providing chances for them. Either way it’s f****** boring to watch. They could actually win the whole thing, but it won’t be pretty.

argee

The English players lack of getting a penalty is also affecting Harry Kane’s output, they need to be a bit more like Son and Richarlison and let Kane get on the scoresheet!

inkster
    Free Member

Did anyone watch Brazil vs Switzerland? Where Brazil played pretty conservatively for an hour before ramping up the pressure in the last half hour. It very much looked like being a draw until Cassimero scored with a deflected shot a few minutes (plus Fergie time) from the end?

Not sure of the rankings but I don’t think that Switzerland are any better than the USA,, if anything the USA, with their energy and pace are a bit more threatening than the Swiss.

Almost like they were trying to control the match whilst bursting into energy at the appropriate moments.

cromolyolly
    Free Member

he goals last night were the result of unforced errors by the welsh (the second one particularly).

The second goal was the direct result of England forcing the error. They had been re-pressing the ball in pairs, with a third man as a trailer, to cut off the outlet pass all game. When Kane and Rashford press on the wing, and the anticiptation and timing were brilliant, couldn’t have caught Wales in a worse position, Henderson makes a 5 yard run to close off the pass to the Welsh player who was inside and and a little bit ahead.
    The first goal was the direct result of Foden cutting inside at pace, creating the foul.

as a whole won’t unlock organised opponents and will instead be dependent on their opponent’s errors providing chances for them.

That is the main problem with Internationals. It’s easier to learn organised defending in the short period of time they have to prepare. It’s not a coincidence that Walker and Foden got switched in together – they are team mates and should know how each other play. Probably a direct result of Wales holding Bale and Davies back to protect the fullbacks..
    Just about all chances come from errors. The Spanish ticky-takka was all about waiting for one…
    I don’t disagree that Southgate tends towards caution, I don’t think it’s necessarily he is holding his players back. His line ups tend towards consistency.
    I actually think it is a sign of Englands improvement. They are comfortable in possession, not panicked about giving it away, they are patient which I think shows that they believe they can win, they don’t just hoof it long and hope.

ransos
    Free Member

England could be an incredibly creative team, but they are shackled by the caution of their manager.

I reckon a more gung-ho approach would be fun to watch, but less successful.

MoreCashThanDash

Spoiler alert – 4 minutes into 8 minutes of extra time…🤞

argee

Australia in the last 16, mental stuff in that group, France look like they played a different 11 today as well, that’s taking the piss a bit, even for a dead rubber

argee

Ok, i have now seen the worst possible VAR penalty award ever.

PrinceJohn

That is ridiculous – justice done tho

Caher

The one the other night was pretty atrocious but how is a keeper diving and watching the ball ever a penalty. Contact does not equal a penalty.

argee

The ball was out of play as well, if that’s a penalty you’ll be seeing 5 a game in the near future!

bigdaddy

Another vote here for that being the worst VAR decision yet! That’s a disgrace, it was justice that it was saved. What is going on?

weeksy

No, he never gave that!!!!? He did!!! He gave it!!! Come on, honestly

MoreCashThanDash

I can’t believe VAR said “come and have a look at this” and the ref watched the slow mo replay and thought “yes, I have made a clear and obvious error there”

Caher

Referees that make such clear and obvious errors should serve a 1 year sentence refereeing Sunday league games in south London.

PrinceJohn

Bet even Binners missus didn’t predict Morocco topping their group

martinhutch

Poor old Lukaku. Horrible to get thrown into a game clearly as rusty as that and miss a load of absolute sitters. Hopefully he won’t get vilified (like our press would do).

binners

Bet even Binners missus didn’t predict Morocco topping their group

She’s not been betting on the World Cup, for precisely this reason. Not even she would have had that one. Bonkers!

Poor old Lukaku. Horrible to get thrown into a game clearly as rusty as that and miss a load of absolute sitters

I can never understand managers taking players to tournaments who are clearly nowhere near match fit

argee

They had a belief they’d have Lukaku for the knock outs, maybe a couple of subs beforehand, the Morocco game changed that entirely and this is what happens.

Think we’re seeing the end of the Belgian golden era as well, there’s not the same level coming through, shame as so many good players over the last decade and never really showed it on the big stage.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Belgium showing that FIFA rankings really matter.

Caher

I suppose that’s what separates the great players from the good ones, actually able to perform when it really matters. Even when the rest of the team are below par.

argee

Well the Japanese are giving it all they’ve got!

Klunk
    Free Member

wtaf!

Caher

So this moment in time Spain and Germany are out! Or not. Thanks edit button.

tomhoward

So are Costa Rica! Be amazing if they and Japan went through, from that group!

Boo Germany!

dirtyrider
    Free Member

can ITV not leave the sodding split screen on please

theotherjonv

If Costa Rica score again and Spain don’t, both Germany and Spain go out!

dirtyrider
    Free Member

can Japan and Spain just knock it about the centre cirle now please

bigdaddy

What a crazy group again! The last two nights have been nuts! European sides having a mare!

Viewing 40 posts - 1,001 through 1,040 (of 3,015 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.