Home Forums Chat Forum Sobtober

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Sobtober
    jimster01

Anyone doing it this year?

I’ll admit that for whatever reason I’m in the habit of having a bottle or two in the evening, and taking a break from it is seriously tempting.

Daffy

I’m currently doing dry Sept-Dec, so yes.

Caher

Nope, my Saturday night out is precious.

desperatebicycle

Nope, October is for art – it’s Inktober … Sobtober sounds like you’ll be crying all month. Probably true.

zippykona

We had Stocktober where all the stuff turns up for Christmas,needs pricing, displaying and storing.

In October I deserve a beer.

ads678

Nope, I have an all inclusive holiday to Rhodes in October* and I’m gonna use it!!

*not all of October, just a wekk at the end.

chakaping

It used to be called Sober October… dunno if Sobtober is official rebranding, but it doesn’t really work eh?

Anyway, I’m going on holiday so it’s a no from me dawg.

lambchop
    Free Member

Yes

scotroutes

If a 31 day break will.help you to cut down your unhealthy level of alcohol consumption then definitely go for it.

MoreCashThanDash

Sobtober sounds like you’ll be crying all month.

To be fair, I was thinking of signing up to that.

Rubber_Buccaneer

No, I’m not going to commit to zero alcohol in October but I have consumed very little since the start of June and the improvement in my sleep and Garmin recorded ‘body battery’ are notable.  So I’d recommend giving it a go

steve-g
    Free Member

I have things to do which will involve drinking as far ahead as october 5th, but then may strike out on a journey of sobriety from there til March or April with a few days off in-between Xmas and NY.

I did similar last year and didn’t miss it

Edukator
    Free Member

Last drank over two years ago , I can recommend it.

scud
    Free Member

I’m daftly doing 3000 press-ups in October for Cancer Research! So may add staying sober to it just to help with recovery and see how much better i feel at the end of it all.

wordnumb
    Free Member

Yeah I read that as sadness. Sobertober would be more clear. I’m looking forward to a dry October, weatherwise, during which I’ll ride plenty and drink a few. And probably get very muddy.

Coyote
    Free Member

Yeah I read that as sadness.

In which case you read it right.

wordnumb
    Free Member

Ha! (sorry, not funny, serious face)

willard

I thought January was dry? Is it two months of the year now? Dammit.

sharkattack

Definitely should be Sobertober.

I’ve already done Sobertember so should be easy. There will be a blip during a riding trip to Wales but predications are unreliable at best, hopelessly optimistic at worst.

rugbydick

I’m in the habit of having a bottle or two in the evening

Depends whether you’re talking beer or vodka

Blackflag
    Free Member

You mean Dry January surely? Not everything has to be a portmanteau.

Jamz
    Free Member

Depends whether you’re talking beer or vodka

Yes – if it’s wine or stronger then you’ve got a problem. If it’s beer then I wouldn’t be worried so long as your diet/exercise is good.

Keva
    Free Member

Sobtober?

Is this a new thing, crying for the whole month!?!?

desperatebicycle

We’re currently in Readthewholethreadtember

sharkattack

You mean Dry January surely? Not everything has to be a portmanteau

No need to mansplain. Skipped brunch and feeling hangry?

Sandwich

No need to mansplain.

Are you new here? :-)

winston
    Free Member

I think I’m in. I just caught sight of me in a shop doorway and I have a beer belly. That is probably more the result of the lousy weather we’ve had this year and my love for food but I’ve been tucking away a fair few beers so it’s got to stop or the missus will be casting her eye ;0)

robertajobb

I’ve a couple of Old Peculiers and Broadsides thst risk going out of date if left til November. And it’s my birthday in Oct too.

So…

I’m oot.

scotroutes

Yes – if it’s wine or stronger then you’ve got a problem. If it’s beer then I wouldn’t be worried so long as your diet/exercise is good.

If you think that a couple of bottles of beer every night is OK then you’ve got a problem.

jimster01

I think the thing I want to take from this is it’s not giving up booze, BUT discovering a life away from the  booze.

ElShalimo

I’m not doing it but I am going to eat a lot of Swiss chocolate. I’m doing Octoblerone.

Kryton57

This:

If a 31 day break will.help you to cut down your unhealthy level of alcohol consumption then definitely go for it.
    Posted 22 hours ago

and this:

I think the thing I want to take from this is it’s not giving up booze, BUT discovering a life away from the  booze

…have been the takeaway from me as I conclude a break during September to October 4th.   By designed I drank on Tuesday at a Black Tie event, and really enjoyed the first beer and a couple of red wines, but then was reminded of the impact with a headache and very jaded awakening Wednesday morning.

Thanks to a virtual gardening leave period during a warm summer my drinking had got a bit too frequent, so this reminds me to drink for pleasure once or twice a week / on a weekend and leave it at that.

A maybe post ride shandy and sharing red wine with my wife on a Sunday is likely all I go back to.

peter1979
    Free Member

I’m doing Octobeer where I drink 8 pints of beer each night throughout October.

Seriously tho, why does anyone need a word pun to do something for their own benefit?

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

I thought the portmanteau was Socktober?

Anyway, yes, to OP.

Seriously tho, why does anyone need a word pun to do something for their own benefit?

You should look into this thing called “psychology”.

There’s a whole science dedicated to studying human behaviour. Crazy times.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

I read that as committing to being an utter SoB for the whole of October. That I can get on board with.

Cougar

We had Stocktober where all the stuff turns up for Christmas,needs pricing, displaying and storing.

I’m doing Stocktober. I’m having OXO with everything.

Definitely should be Sobertober.

Octsober.

chives
    Free Member

I always thought the early part of the new year was ‘Dry Gin-uary’, in order to wade through the inevitable festive stockpile?

On a lighter note, currently on day 4 of sobriety. Not sure how long it’ll last, but I think my body needed the break. Good luck to anyone giving it a go.

benos

I have a relative who used to do “Tequilober”, but it only seems funny to me now that he’s out of rehab and sober.

sadexpunk

here goes then, altho im having a blip on saturday for my mates 60th. (yeah i know)

I think the thing I want to take from this is it’s not giving up booze, BUT discovering a life away from the  booze.

this is it for me.  a few weeks in greece (alcohol every evening) and just back from a birthday weekend away (LOTS of alcohol 3 nights on the trot) has me feeling washed out and ready for a break.  especially p1ssed off with the half a stone weight put on, which is solely around my waist of course, but cant complain, do the crime do the time.

i always read about people being ‘x years sober now’ and am jealous of how they can do it and still enjoy evenings out.  thats my problem, i just dont enjoy being with people who are slowly getting more and more merry if im sober, i just start getting annoyed with them, which when youre married to one of them isnt ideal :D

so….. stop going out with them?  but theyre my family/mates.  just put up with it?  is the right answer but……. how?

i dont enjoy the taste of booze so much that i NEED it, i get bored with the taste of beer/rum/wine after a few and need to keep swapping drinks, its just the feeling of us all loosening up together after an hour or so and having a real good laugh.  how do i replace that?

Northwind

I’m doing Orksober, giving up waaaaghing for the month

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.