Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 319 total)
  • Sober October?
  • Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’m not even that bothered about having a few beers tomorrow.. what have I become?!

lol!

It’s purely habitual for me, always a couple after a nightride to help me sleep, friday beers, the drouth from which caused saturday beers and generally the same on a sunday. I never really liked the feeling that alcohol gives after the 2nd beer, but the will power has gone by then, took me a while to realise that, I’m a slow learner! 🙂

I do still like a cold fizzy drink, soda water does it for me now, as AF beer still seems to give me kinda lethargy next day, strangely. Mibbe a placebo effect after all those years drinking!.

nickewen
    Free Member

Ha! Aye, will power tends to fall by the wayside once I’m a few deep too.. I haven’t really replaced lager with anything fizzy and I’ve even started drinking lemon and ginger tea FFS! I need to have a good long look in the mirror

corroded
    Free Member

I prefer the alcohol-free me. I’m wealthier, better rested, not a lot lighter (the noticeable weight loss seems to come in months two or three for me – I compensate with cheese and chocolate), and am cheerier and more upbeat (up to a point, I still loathe Brexiters). I’ll continue through November until a blokes MTB trip in Tassie next month.

toby1

My key learning is I’ve found something worse than Budweiser

Why, in the name of God, were you looking for it in the first place? 😉

BoardinBob

Why, in the name of God, were you looking for it in the first place?

It was the only non alcoholic beer they had in the place I was for dinner. 25g of sugar per can as well. Absolutely disgusting. I can’t understand how it even got past a taste test panel at Budweiser but judging by their usual output I shouldn’t be surprised.

chakaping
    Free Member

Just stick to orange and lemonade next time, or soda and lime if you’re watching the calories.

Generally alcohol-free beers are sooo much better than they used to be though. Anyone remember Kaliber? Do they still sell that filthy stuff?

si77

I’m sticking with it for November, to see if it can help shift a bit more lard, or at least prevent regaining any.

Not making any promises for December though!

flange
    Free Member

Well, I’ve managed it. It’s my 40th on Saturday so will probably have a pint then, but being honest I’ve not missed it at all.

I’ve also lost no weight and I’m no better off – maybe I wasn’t drinking enough to start with!

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Stick with it RRR, that first drink Friday will taste all the sweeter for waiting

I’m wondering whether it really is desperate to stay up until midnight to have a beer?

It’s not helped by the fact that we’re currently “on holiday” with wife’s parents and brother and sister (and their offspring) and literally everyone has been drinking pretty much all the time. Mrs RRRs dad has been helpfully wafting beer across my nose 🙄.

I don’t think I’d be that fussed if I was at home tbh.

I’ve learnt erm, that some of the alcohol want is actually fizzy habitual something to drink want and alcohol free stuff is usually fine. That’s it. Oh , and I miss wine more than beer.

scotroutes

I’ve also lost no weight and I’m no better off – maybe I wasn’t drinking enough to start with!

I like your thinking. Maybe the best plan is to increase your alcohol intake for the next 11 months so you feel the benefit next October.

shinton
    Free Member

Made it through apart from a particularly stressful day so I’ve just donated £20 to MacMillan for my Golden Ticket for that day.

As a few have mentioned Soda Water has been my go to refreshing drink with either Robinson’s crushed lime & mint (think non-alcoholic mohito) or elderflower and pear. They both sound a bit girly but work for me and are not as sickly as lime or orange cordial.

Well done to everyone who made it to the end.

Started another thread before I saw this, mods have now closed

I generally do a month each year (as I drink far too much for the other 11) – just happens to be October this year, not because others are doing it.

I’m generally pretty resolute with it when I do it and have been even more so this time. I’ve decided to do another month, might even do until Christmas, might stop altogether. I’m really not missing it, I think I’d got to drinking as a necessity and not even enjoying it. I’ve been to the pub a few times each week and been fine also a christening, where all my mates were drinking – although I left when they started being loud, as they were annoying me! Only had the odd craving here and there, but it’s soon passed

I’ve also kicked the fags (was vaping and smoking!!!!) and totally transformed my diet – had no processed meat, fried food, chip/crisps, pizza or any junk whatsoever for a month now. Also joined the gym again.

I’ve had a stinking cold for every single day of it though. When I’ve not felt rubbish, I’ve felt much better if that makes sense?

My substitutions have been Heineken 0% and when I can get it, my favourite is Bavaria, a slightly sweet lager. The Co-Op Chardonnay grape juice is a nice substitute for white wine too, although Mrs STR says it’s too sweet.

I seem to be shifting some weight eventually and reckon I’m saving £100-150/week. Worst bit is mates after work on a Friday, giving me grief, rather than encouragement – and telling me I’m being grumpy, when I’m really not. By-product of that, is they actually make me grumpy by giving me grief!

donks
    Free Member

Just 30 mins to go and it’s all over. It’s been ok TBF but i am looking forward to a few after work tomorrow and there’s a gig on at the local so Im off out with the boys for a sesh. Normal service resumed.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Good work all those that made it through!

I don’t have an overwhelming sense of achievement, fitness nor inner peace.

I kind of half fancy a beer tonight but am not as bothered as I expected to be (despite my wine cravings the other night).

Hmmm, it feels odd but I hope the routine has at least been disrupted a bit.

Wot about you lot?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Well done STR, bravo mate, that’s a fair old chunk of lifestyle change!

BoardinBob

And we’re done!

I was flying back from London last night, and contemplated buying a bottle of whisky from duty free to break the fast this weekend, but I really don’t want, or more importantly, feel the need to drink.

hjghg5
    Free Member

I made it 🙂 Haven’t really posted on here as it ended up being a bit of a non-event. Much easier than I expected it to be (my OH doesn’t really drink and I only ever really have a couple over the weekend). No real need to search out non-alcoholic alternatives, just breaking the routine that Friday night is wine night. it’s coincided with a month of focussing a bit more on healthy eating and training, so although I’ve lost a couple of kg I’m not really blaming the alcohol. Mid month I did start feeling much better but since then I’ve picked up a bit of a bug and it hasn’t been as noticeable.

Might give alcohol a miss tonight too – I’m leading a ride at 9am tomorrow morning, but I’m going on holiday next weekend so I’m sure some wine will be consumed while I’m there.

Mister-P
    Free Member

I’m going to continue on a much reduced alcohol intake until at least Christmas. Over the past 9 weeks I’ve saved quite a lot of cash and my bike fitness has improved noticeably. I’ve booked a week’s surfing trip in Morocco at the start of December so not drinking in November will help with that both physically and financially.

nickewen
    Free Member

That first sip after a month off was deeee-lightful! Cheers all

That first sip after a month off was deeee-lightful! Cheers all

I never really enjoy the first one after abstaining

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

I thought I’d break the fast with Lidl’s Barolo (on offer) and a couple of ales.

I’m a little disconcerted about how easily I’ve consumed alcohol tonight. It feels like the ability to resist is higher but once I’ve started I’m back to old habits 🤔

hjghg5
    Free Member

I had a sip last night. Making a risotto so got a single serve bottle of white, put about 2/3 of it in the pan and drank the rest. That actually felt enough for me to my surprise.

chakaping
    Free Member

Lidl’s Barolo

Very nice stuff that is. A worthy choice to end the ordeal.

I made do with a few pints of ale in the fine pubs of Innerleithen on Friday night. Then some whiskies.

Just a couple to be social on the Saturday and I’ll leave it for a bit again now.

Making a risotto so got a single serve bottle of white, put about 2/3 of it in the pan and drank the rest. That actually felt enough for me to my surprise.

I expect you can get tipsy putting that much in the risotto though?

twinw4ll
    Free Member

I have a bottle of Bud in the fridge, checked the date this morning, best before 2015, terrible thing being in the grip of alcohol 😶

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I expect you can get tipsy putting that much in the risotto though

Only about 30 to 40% is left after 15 mins simmering, so of 2/3 bottled, it’d be about a small glass, and as I’m guessing he didn’t make risotto for one, sure it’ll be fine!

BoardinBob

I have a bottle of Bud in the fridge, checked the date this morning, best before 2015, terrible thing being in the grip of alcohol

null

6 weeks now – not even wanting a drink and actually preferring being sober

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Good stuff, well done mate.

November done and dusted (day 63 now). Won’t be a problem going through till Christmas, then we’ll see. If I do Christmas, then I’ll carry on – the next test will be summer beer gardens!

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2hU4gPU]2019-12-02_08-45-20[/url] by davetheblade, on Flickr

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Well done sir!

si77

Done my 3 months now. Hit the bottle again last night (not too hard), quite surprised that I still had some tolerance leftover from August, and didn’t feel rough this morning. Bon chance! to those of you staying with the programme long-term, can certainly feel the benefit and may be back onboard in the New Year.

geomickb
    Free Member

I’ve done 104 days sober. No real intention behind it but I am currently thinking that the pros of not drinking outweight the cons.

I’m just not sure the company xmas party will be enjoyable without a drink.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’ve been back on the sauce, but a bit less often and more mindfully – which I suppose was the idea for me.

Will certainly be on it at the works do next week, but turning down other drinks invites in meantime.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Soooooooo

It’s that (miserable) time of year again.

The dwindling malt whisky supplies have been exiled to the back of the garage and I’ll be exploring Aldi’s new range of fun-free beer and cider over the next month.

Anyone else joining me 🍺?

chipster

I’m joining in, although I think I’ll be leaving the 0% beer alone this year.

jaminb
    Free Member

4 pints this afternoon – for that reason I’m out. Well done everyone who makes it through this miserable month

ElShalimo

Just had a pint of Pedigree, so that’s a no from me

😜

loum
    Free Member

I’m in.

Baron_von_drais
    Free Member

I’ve just completed a dry September.

Carried on my normal exercise routine, continued my healthy eating but with slightly reduced portion sizes, weight is down 4.5KG

Wedding Anniversary this weekend so there will be wine but other than that will carry on through October

slowoldman

Well so far this October I haven’t consumed any alcohol. I’m not making any rash promises though.

Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 319 total)

The topic ‘Sober October?’ is closed to new replies.