Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 319 total)
  • Sober October?
  • handybar
    Free Member

Sober October begs the question why are people drinking so much in the first place, everything in moderation is the key, having a couple of beers now and then with friends is a good thing, and then the odd session once a month.

dougiedogg
    Free Member

People drink so much because alcohol is addictive, freely available, the culture is focused on drinking to much and most of us cant say no to one more.

jimster01

Seems a good time to take a break from it after the long summer nights and having a post ride beer, glass of wine in the garden with the boss etc etc.

Other side to the equation is I have been drinking beers at weekends with friends socially for 30 odd years. Personally I feel it’s time for a rest, just happens to be October.

chipster

It was utterly shit. I put on weight, slept less, was a miserable irritable f***** and completely stressed at the effort it required, didn’t see any of my mates, and didn’t even save much money cos I was spending it on non-alcoholic beer

So, do you have a problem with drinking or with not drinking? 🤔😉

scotroutes

Sober October begs the question why are people drinking so much in the first place, everything in moderation is the key, having a couple of beers now and then with friends is a good thing, and then the odd session once a month.

That’s the obvious question from this thread when you read some folks tales and their responses to alcohol. Maybe it’ll help those folk see they can live without the constant drinking?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

t was utterly shit. I put on weight, slept less, was a miserable irritable f***** and completely stressed at the effort it required, didn’t see any of my mates, and didn’t even save much money cos I was spending it on non-alcoholic beer

Aye, none of this was caused by your drinking eh? 🙂

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Hmm, that’s quite an assumption, that people are drinking “so much”.

It could be that people don’t like the habit of it or feeling reliant on it. Personally, although I don’t drink a huge amount (maybe 20 units a week, so more than I should) I don’t like feeling like it’s not a proper Friday evening unless I can crack open something. It’s a form of dependency I guess.

As for others slightly shirty comments about those doing this being attention seekers – I’m not really sure one thread on a mountain bike forum where you’re pseudo-anonymous is attention seeking (or if it is, it’s a poor attempt)?

I posted because I think I need some motivation and strange as it is, knowing that some other stranger is also doing it helps. Odd innit?

dazh

Aye, none of this was caused by your drinking eh?

If you were trying support my hunch that most of these threads are an exercise in holier-than-thouness then nice one, you’ve succeeded.

So, do you have a problem with drinking or with not drinking?

Neither. Or both. Depends which way you want to look at it. On the whole though I’d say drinking provides more upsides than down. It’s a very personal thing though, like all drug use.

winston
    Free Member

Day 3 and I have a sore throat…….coincidence? I think not. Clearly one of alcohols many positive features is its ability to prevent medical issues such as these. However I will persevere..

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

I had to make mrs RRR a G&T last night – outrageous.

I consoled myself with a shipyard low tide IPA which really does take like a “proper” ale (within reason).

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.lightdrinks.co.uk/a/amp/products/shipyard-low-tide-low-alcohol-pale-ale-0-5-500ml

3 for £3 at Tesco’s ..

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

If you were trying support my hunch that most of these threads are an exercise in holier-than-thouness then nice one, you’ve succeeded.

I’m neither religious or above anyone, merely commenting (which I think I can as I drank too much for too long) that the root cause of the symptoms listed in that post were not caused by abstinence.

dazh

the root cause of the symptoms listed in that post were not caused by abstinence.

Yes I know that. There was a fair amount of tongue in cheek in that comment 😉

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Sorry daz, subtle humour trips me up now n again…. 🙂

toby1

I had to make mrs RRR a G&T last night – outrageous.

Did you spill it on your fingers and savour liking the pure spirit off? Does seem a bit harsh that she couldn’t get her own though.

I nearly went to the work beer fridge earlier (Yep, we have one), then opted not to in solidarity with you, for now!

chipster

Sort of PSA: 3 for £3 on half decent alcohol free beer at Tesco’s

Cheers, got myself 3 Erdingers earlier. 🍻

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Did you spill it on your fingers and savour liking the pure spirit off? Does seem a bit harsh that she couldn’t get her own though.

I nearly went to the work beer fridge earlier (Yep, we have one), then opted not to in solidarity with you, for now!

Yes, I sniffed it longingly with a sad face.

Beer fridge at work – how does this not involve one sat inside ones beer fridge consuming endlessly until it’s empty?!

But thanks for your commitment!

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Cheers, got myself 3 Erdingers earlier.

Cool, I got 21 mixed bottles – basically so I can’t pretend it’s the cold bubbles I need and raid the elicit stash of lovely booze ..

hammy7272
    Free Member

I’ve been making an effort to drink less for over a year and is working but still have a few blow outs. Main thing for me was cutting out the habit midweek drinks. Still love a couple of beers overa weekend but I tend to drink earlier in the day as I have found late at night even one can make me feel fuzzy the next day.

Deep sleep has definitely been a bonus.

chakaping
    Free Member

Going swimmingly here so far.

Some weird and not-very-empathetic comments on here from the “in moderation” crew though.

Do you go on the chub club threads and tell people your eating habits are superior to theirs too?

jimster01

After the hiccup on Tuesday, the only day when neither of us have been working this week things are back on track. I’m working until 10pm, getting home and having a mug of tea then off to bed. I had started getting a bottle of cider in to chill when I got home, but that’s now a thing of the past.
    Only time where there maybe temptation is Saturday, but I have an early shift on Sunday which means getting up at 5.30am, so that’s a no-no.

marcg868
    Free Member

I’m sober for 11 months of the year. Only really drink when I’m on holiday, a couple of pints each night or every other night. And maybe a few bottle at Christmas.
    Doesn’t really do it for me anymore.

muggomagic

No booze since Monday and I’ve shed 4lbs!

I’ve done my usual 2 evening rides this week and avoided the pub afterwards and I’ve been eating less crap. Drinking beer in the evening usually meant a packet of crisps with the drink and then I’d want something sweet afterwards too. This week I’ve not eaten so much junk and been drinking loads more water. I know tonight and tomorrow will be the days I miss having a few drinks. So if I make it through the weekend then I might just convince myself to keep this going for at least the rest of the month.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Good work all.

Yep, tonight will be a particular challenge when we get our usual Friday night curry etc..

It sounds perverse but I actually found Tesco’s tonic water with elderflower surprisingly pleasant last night – very nearly almost tasted a little bit like a G&T 😃

jimster01

It sounds perverse but I actually found Tesco’s tonic water with elderflower surprisingly pleasant last night – very nearly almost tasted a little bit like a G&T

This is the boss’s go to drink, with ice and a slice.

geomickb
    Free Member

Well done everyone who has made it this far.

I’m off to The Lakes for the weekend so have packed some Erdingers. May get a few comments off mates but they might change their minds when I slay them on the hills. 🙂

Sounds a but naff but cranberry juice and sparkling water in a pint class isn’t a bad cider substitute.

Hope you all make it through the weekend.

Mick

jimster01

My go to drink is soda water and lime, it doesn’t remind of anything alcoholic but it hits the spot when I fancy a beer or a wine.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

ome weird and not-very-empathetic comments on here from the “in moderation” crew though.

Do you go on the chub club threads and tell people your eating habits are superior to theirs too?

I lol’d.

Doesn’t really do it for me anymore.

This is me tbh, I just don’t have the time, or the want, to have a fuzzy head and next day lethargy any more. 3.5 stone gone since I stopped too, which is nice.

Agree re soda water, a right cold pint of soda water hits the spot, much more so than water, must be the comforting bubbles!

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Geomickb – stay strong my friend 🙂

shinton
    Free Member

Mrs S made spag bol last night and bought a bottle of red wine which she puts a 1/4 of into the pot, which means I usually drink the rest of the bottle as she doesn’t drink red. I spilt the remainder into 3 containers and put them in the freezer for future cooking duties /selfrighteousnessoff

muggomagic

I spilt the remainder into 3 containers and put them in the freezer

Does it still count if they’re ice lollies anyway?

geomickb
    Free Member

ps I love the fact that the Erdingers are isotonic and have “vitamins”. Makes me thing I should carry one in my bottle cage. 🙂

Alphabet

Mrs S made spag bol last night and bought a bottle of red wine which she puts a 1/4 of into the pot

I was wondering about this as I usually add red wine to pasta sauce. I’ll continue and won’t count it as a failure.

I spilt the remainder into 3 containers and put them in the freezer for future cooking duties

Great idea.

chakaping
    Free Member

I put a whole bottle of wine in a paella once to use it up.

I was smashed by the time I’d finished my meal.

Not sure how relevant this anecdote is, but just wanted to share.

toby1

Makes me thing I should carry one in my bottle cage

Stopped at the lights on the way home last night and there was a guy with a bottle of white in his bottle cage, a very Cambridge sight (although it wasn’t pressurised, so not quite spot on).

I had a non-alky ginger beer with lunch. I’m not intending to do the whole month, but going out to dinner tomorrow and need to drive as it’s in the arse end of nowhere (much like my village) so may as well stay dry then too. Could lead me into week 2 quite easily.

Mister-P
    Free Member

How was Friday evening sober folks? A mate messaged to see if I was going to the pub. But I declined and stayed in, avoiding temptation.

BoardinBob

The Mrs cracked open a bottle of red last night and I didn’t even flinch

Biking today and my usual post ride beer(s) will be missed but so far so good.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Well we’ve cleared the first Friday night curry nights sans alcohol (for me at least, mrs RRR had gin).

Having just been for my first ride in six months we stopped at a micro pub on the way back and I successfully had alcy free lager whilst my mate glugged a 7% craft ale.

I didn’t experience a glow of self satisfaction or anything though? 🤔

toby1

A week off beer and today was a parkrun pb (by about 40 seconds). I like to think it’s just a coincidence!

Punk AF beers bought for this evening, so my ‘not doing sober October’ continues. I did look longingly at the micropub in the next village when we went to the post office earlier though.

Sui
    Free Member

Not I. I took a client out for dinner in Madrid this week (lovely city by the way) thought we’d get on it to find he’s off the booze. I was well upset.. Booze makes things better..

chakaping
    Free Member

Cheers for the tip about the Tesco offer BTW.

Had the Shipyard Low Tide IPA last night, was reasonably pleasant. Got the Brewdog Punk AF for later this eve.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 319 total)

The topic ‘Sober October?’ is closed to new replies.