Viewing 39 posts - 281 through 319 (of 319 total)
  • Sober October?
  • drewd

Still in. I’m not finding it too bad so far.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

I’m finding AF beer / tonic water helps as I think at least 50% or my er “problem” / habit is wanting something fizzy to sup on at the end of the week, rather than actually wanting a fuzzy alcohol glow.

(That’s what I’m telling myself anyway)

It feels a bit easier having done it last year, I think 🤔

dyna-ti

Post 20’s I’ve not really had the inclination to drink beer, settling for a spirit.

Is there an age that habits begin in the world of alcohol 😕

Futureboy77

Well in to my third month of being AF. Quite a big change to begin with, but I don’t crave a drink at all now.

Interesting that folk are going for AF beers. I prefer drinking tea.

I just need to decide who is to get all the bottles of AG homebrew I made at the start of lockdown 🤣

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

How are we all doing?

I’ve been craving a glass of red but have remained alcohol free. I can’t say I’ve noticed any improvement in sleep or energy levels mind!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Interesting that folk are going for AF beers. I prefer drinking tea.

I haven’t drank for well over 2 years now, and would ordinarily agree with you, but after a big days biking, or a day marauding in the mountains on foot, I still love a couple of cold Ghost ship AF. 🙂

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Good work NoBeer!

I can see how if I only liked beer it *could* be maybe possibly feasible to give up entirely but I’ve yet to find anything that stops me fancying wine 🍷! 🤔

lesgrandepotato

Still rolling along happily here. Wavered when the boys came over for a fire pit and ribs session.

Brewdog AF hits the spot for me.

Still keeping my beer52 sub for a few specials though. They are building up nicely!

Certainly seems to be doing well for my mental health and general mental stability.

chipster

I’m still in, but although I said I wasn’t going on the AF beer, I cracked and got a couple of Ghostship (wasn’t fond) and a 6 pack of Beck’s Blue (meh).
    The day after I called and got some Erdinger. Nice.
    I’ve also found Lidl Patronus Weissbier AF is nice, too.

singlespeedstu

Still going here too.
    Not realy missing it but not realy feeling any benifits either apart from by broken bits healing faster with any luck.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Still in too. I reckon I’ve saved £150, I’m sleeping well and I’ve started riding my bike again.

simondbarnes

I reckon I’ve saved £150,

Bloody hell!

Mister-P
    Free Member

The joys / perils of being single. My social life is very pub-based. With current beer prices it doesn’t take long to rack up that kind of money. A couple of pints is a tenner spent.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Over two thirds of the way through now.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Yep. Are we all still hanging on?

I feel annoyed that I’m finding it relatively hard!

lesgrandepotato

Not missing the alcohol. Quite happy drinking the brewdog AF stuff.
    Bit of a revelation really. I do likes the booze.

singlespeedstu

Still booze free here.
    May return to it on a lesser scale once my bones are fixed as I’m not really feeling any benifits.

lesgrandepotato

So what’s the plan post October? I think I might have a beer on my birthday weekend 8/9th Nov.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Are we all still in?

I’m wondering whether I should treat myself to a proper beer on Sunday (the 1st) or hold out until Friday OR keep going for as long as I can 😬

I have however had 5 Friday night curries with fake beer… it’s taking it’s toll

frankconway

Hard to resist temptation twice last week – but did.
    In general, feeling better for it so will probably just roll it forward into November.

drewd

I’m still onboard. I found the temptation was stronger early on which I suspect was down to grabbing a drink out of habbit. The last few weeks have been fine, although I still seem to be looking at alcohol when shopping.

I think I’ve been sleeping better too which surprised me as it didn’t seem to make much difference when I stopped last year. I’m not in any rush to have a drink though.

Mister-P
    Free Member

31 days done as I started on Monday 28th rather than Thursday 1st, mainly due to a decent intake whilst in Devon over the last weekend of October. Feeling really good for it and don’t fancy a beer at all. It’s been surprisingly easy really, simply by not having beer in the house.

wonnyj
    Free Member

I’m doing a sober Welsh Firebreak, which my wife cunningly persuaded me to do against my own preference. But I’m loving it so far! Have been sleeping better and getting more work done from my office on the kitchen table

Soft drinks such as innocent smoothies and tonic & tonic are ok. Not missing booze too much given the benefits I’ve been feeling. Also lost a bit of chub around the midriff. Have some 0% beers in the fridge for Friday night (does feel a bit sad writing that!)

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

I’m not sure I’ve noticed many benefits; I’m still sleeping moderately rubbishly, have no energy and feel knackered every second of every day.

I have (purely coincidentally) lost about 6lbs in weight though 🤔

lesgrandepotato

Ropey reign, how’s your coffee intake? I’m down to a couple of proper coffees in the AM and one mid afternoon. Rest is decaf. At risk of oversharing it’s made me bowels quite a bit more ‘solid’.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Grandepotato – errrrm I drink quite a lot but mostly horrible fake stuff from the canteen. It’s a good point though certainly!

Tbh, I think it’s just life that makes me exhausted 😴

singlespeedstu

Still booze free here since 14/9.
    Might try and stay off it until my next Xray on the 17/11.
    Still not really seing any benifits though apart from not putting weight on because of lack of excersise.
    Think when I can ride again i’ll start drinking again.
    I kind of only like a drink after a ride anyway.

Mister-P
    Free Member

I fell off last night, went for a couple of pints with a mate. It was just two pints but I wish I hadn’t bothered. I had a restless night and feel pretty crap this morning. Mid-40s and a total light weight.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Didn’t do too well but I did cut back a lot so that was a start.
    Let’s hope Hovember goes better.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

@mister P

Ah well. You’ve done a month anyway wot with starting early. Good work!

@eddie
    . I wouldn’t worry – any time not drinking is a Good Thing 🙂

How’s everyone else doing?

I’m slurping Aldi’s AF fizzy beer flavoured drink as I type .. one day left but I’m unsure what I’ll do tomorrow.

I mean, it’s a ‘Kin crazy world out there and sometimes red wine does just take the edge off …

chipster

I’m still in. It’s not been so difficult as I thought it would be.
    It’ll be a glass or two of red wine for me tomorrow afternoon. 🍷

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Phew 😅

It wasn’t as hard as it could have been (probably slightly easier having done it before).

I appreciate that some reading this will think it’s no achievement to not drink for a month but when it’s a firmly ingrained habit it’s tough to shake imo.

Anyway, well done peeps 🎉

I’m just hoping I can use it to change my habits more long term 🍷

singlespeedstu

I had a couple of glasses of wine last night.
    Actually slept a little better than I have done since being injured.
    Can’t see it doing any harm to my recovery after six weeks of not drinking.
    Now i know how easily I can go without I’m going to cut down as much as I can.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Good work stu.

I actually think drinking in moderation (less than 14 units per week for example) is in many ways harder than not drinking at all, for me at least.

I struggle to stop the Friday / Saturday beers or wine creeping into Thursday, the odd Tuesday etc

FB-ATB

I’m just hoping I can use it to change my habits more long term 🍷

Well, after Thursday you won’t be able to go to the pub so that’ll probably help!

drewd

I completed the month and found it got easier as the month went on. I wasn’t planning on drinking straight away but someone dropped some beers round the other night so I may have one this evening.

I didn’t bother with 0% alcohol beer etc as I wanted to prove to myself that I could do without it. I might try some now that it’s over in an effort to limit alcohol intake to weekends.

CountZero

Seeing as how we’re as busy as **** at work, the weather has been crap, and by Friday the one thing I’m really looking forward to is a couple of beers with my mate in my favourite pub, I’m buggered if I’m going without just to prove some sort of point. It’s very rare I have alcohol in the house, except at Christmas, so two pints on a Friday and a Saturday evening isn’t exactly over-indulging.
    Anyway, I’m going to have a month of not being able to go to the pub, and I had three months earlier in the year, so I bought six bottles today – 2020 has been shit enough without one small thing to enjoy of an evening.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Hello

So yes I know I shouldn’t need to do it, and yes some people haven’t touched a drop since they were 6 but I’m doing this for the 3rd year.

I feel like it’s good to break my habits and hopefully be less fat.

Anyone else in?

Viewing 39 posts - 281 through 319 (of 319 total)

The topic ‘Sober October?’ is closed to new replies.