Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 319 total)
  • Sober October?
  • CountZero

Nope. My regular consumption is a couple of pints on a Friday and Saturday evening, with maybe one on a Sunday afternoon if I go for a walk somewhere with a pub handy. As my regular pub is, like many others, struggling to keep itself going, I’m trying to do my little bit to help it keep going.

spacemonkey

Nigh on 18 months dry for me. One of the best decisions I’ve ever made.

The day before I quit would never have seen this happening in a million years.

Good luck to all you peeps. Maybe some of you will wake up in a month and keep it going.

iainc

yep, do this every year, just as a bit of a reset. Probably needed more than usual now as have been WFH since March and bad habits are easy to fall into, with a beer, wine or a G’n’T 4 or 5 nights a week.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Day one done and doing well on day two so far.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

For those who’ve done it before – did you find it altered your drinking habits at all?

I did it last year but was surprised how quickly I fell back into the old routine.

I really just want to get myself to the point where I’m happy drinking just a bit rather than more than recommended limits each week …

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Mister-P .. keep strong my friend 😃

lesgrandepotato

I’m in. As per mister p and ropey. Bit of reset needed.

roach

I’m in too. Been drinking more than I should for years.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Cool @ roach and lesgrandepotato

Turns out the new Aldi fun-free lager isn’t actually that bad.

I might try some of the other new low fun options

augustuswindsock

Thought about it, didn’t drink last night, just bought four cans of Guinness, so I’ve failed already!

frankconway

Day 2 – so far so good.

fingerbang
    Free Member

I’m in. I was going to by buy some beers just cos Friday then realised that its October. I’m in for the month. If I relent then I ll reset the clock by 4 weeks to teach me a lesson

I’m trying to get two whole booze free months a year now, not done since I’ve been drinking age but did january

allanoleary
    Free Member

Been booze free since November last year after an endoscopy showed erosive gastritis. Strongest thing I’m allowed now is a normal coffee in the morning

iancity1
    Free Member

Managed last October, carried through into Nov and Dec, little fail around Feb but strong until June when partner dumped me! Que back on the drink every other night since then. I know I can stop, and the benefits are absolutely worth it, so back reading the 2 books that got me through it first time around and quite determined to stick at it this time…there are no benefits to alcohol 🙂

Mister-P
    Free Member

Everyone still on board?

chipster

Everyone still on board?

I am. Two nights on tonic water, so far.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Yep. Still going ..

I’ve been tested though – neighbour gave me a nice bottle of red as thanks for doing a few odd jobs.

As the garage door is hanging off it’s now in the kitchen wine rack rather than garage … looking all curvy and seductive…

prezet
    Free Member

I’ve just finished 12 months without alcohol, this one should be easy 😀

Wally

I’m in. Health not good. Got to help.

roach

Still going here. Finding it pretty easy so far but I normally struggle at the 7-10 day mark.

drewd

I’m giving it a go this year. I only really have one drink on days that I do drink but those days have become more frequent than I’d like.

I stopped for all of September last year to see if not drinking would help me sleep better and improve my mood. Can’t say it made a noticable difference to me last year but I’m giving it another shot anyway.

j3ayy
    Free Member

Yea sober for 4 days so far #result

deserter
    Free Member

I’m in but I’m going the whole hog and taking a year, was drinking way too much the last few years, this summer has been a revelation as a I’ve barely had any alcohol in comparison so I’m interested to see what a year will be like

roach

I got through the weekend no problemo. I did try a Brewdog Nanny State on saturday but it wasn’t up to much. The Adnams Ghost Ship I thought was better.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Ghost ship is definitely one of the better ones.

The erdinger blue is pretty good too if you like wheat beer 🍺

iainc

Small Beer also lovely, in fact my fave, followed by Ghost Ship

prezet
    Free Member

Ghost Ship was my preference over the past 12 months. Easy to go out and feel like you’re having a beer. But then have the benefit of jumping in the car afterwards and driving home.

bakey

I’m still hanging on.

Put a new brew on to ferment on Saturday, a milkshake IPA. Looking forward to that in November!

Mister-P
    Free Member

Week one done. Are we still all on the train?

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

I’m still here, and horribly sober.

How are we all doing? I got back late last night and as usual the knackeredness had me sorely tempted. I refrained and supped a erm “refreshing” glass of tonic water instead..

singlespeedstu

Think I’m going to join you guys on this one.
    Not had a drink for nearly three weeks now.
    Stopped as I’m trying to stay as healthy as possible to give my bone graft on my collarbone as much help as I can.
    Pretty easy so far, which has come as a surprise to me.

lesgrandepotato

Just checking in here, it’s starting to feel like a new normal here. Got a case of 48 brew dog AF’s and I’m quite content 🙂

Mister-P
    Free Member

There was a moment yesterday when I really fancied a beer. Luckily there’s none in the house and the feeling passed pretty quickly. I’ve even been out on my bike for the first time in 6 weeks, so it’s all good.

doris5000

Small Beer also lovely, in fact my fave, followed by Ghost Ship

You know that Small Beer is 2.7%, right?

I do like it though – to me, almost all 0.5% beers, feel like a slightly unsatisfying substitute. They’re ok, but Small Beer tastes like a ‘proper’ beer.

whatgoesup

Yep, I’m in although started late.

Normally being a bit of a real ale snob I’ve surprised myself by settling on Becks Blue as my favourite AF beer. Strange as I wouldn’t drink “normal” becks. Anyway it’s a win-win as Becks Blue is also one of the cheapest AF beers so hey ho.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

I’d strongly recommend giving Aldi’s new AF beer a go – the rheinbacker one is a lot better than becks (imo) and only £2.50 for 6 bottles.

The french one (sold in larger bottles) is better still and a relative bargain at 89p a bottle.

I’ve found this weekend tough for some reason (pathetic really) but am holding on.

prezet
    Free Member

If anyone likes their gin, and wants something AF to get them through I can recommend Seedlip gin – personally I wouldn’t be able to tell I was drinking AF with this stuff when it’s mixed with a good tonic:

https://seedlipdrinks.com/uk/

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

I might have to give an AF gin a go. It always seems wrong paying £20 for something that’s in effect a posh cordial?!

Are we all still on board? We’re nearly half way there …

Mister-P
    Free Member

Not a drop has passed my lips, not even an AF beer. I refuse to pay good money for beer that isn’t going to make me feel wobbly.

singlespeedstu

I’m still here.
    Also don’t really get AF beer.
    Pretty easy so far.

Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 319 total)

The topic ‘Sober October?’ is closed to new replies.